cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not connecting to computer

Journeyman

Phone not connecting to computer

Hello, all.

I hook my instinct up to my computer via the USB cord but it doesn't appear in 'my computer. I can't add files to it in media manager. Media manager goes through the 'connecting...' process and ends up telling me 'please unplug the phone from the computer and the reconnect. if the phone is not connected, please connect it now. make sure that you have a memory card plugged into your phone.' I go through the suggested steps and nothing changes.

What gives?

7 REPLIES 7
Master

Re: Phone not connecting to computer

Are you using the most recent version of media manager, Dated: 03/04/2009 Software Version: 1.0.0 build 88. http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/media_manager/executables/SPMM-DL-Instinct-Bld88-001.exe

The easiest way to add your files to the Instinct is to place the sd card into a card reader and plug it into your pc and drag and drop.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I installed the new version and still no change. My computer doesn't even recognize my phone when I plug it in.

Journeyman

Im having the same issue. Have not used the software probably in about a year, made sure its up to date.  Just gives me the same "the phone does not appear to be connected blah blah blah" message.  Cant wait till my contract is up so I can ditch this stupid thing.....only 8 more months

Journeyman

As an 11 month Instinct owner on my 2nd Instinct, I can barely get the Sprint Media Manager to work. I really have to coax this software to really work anywhere near decent. I do have the current version, SMM version 1.0.0 Build 88.

I'm currently using Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium Edition with 4 GB of DDR 2 Memory and AMD Athlon X2 64 CPU.

This is one program that desperately needs to be upgraded in terms of stability, useability with the Windows Vista/7 codebase, and could take advantage of many of Windows 7's and Vista's enhanced capabilities.

I also wish they did a better job with the Mac versions too, because I've seen many complaints about Sprint software not compatible with Macs.

I'd check the following....

1. Make sure that you have the current USB drivers for the Samsung Instinct version (M800, s30, or HD).

2. Make sure there are no conflicts with the USB driver.

3. Make sure there are no conflicts from the USB controller in the Device Manager in Windows Control Panel.

4. I'd check the condition of the USB cable.

5. Check with another USB device to make sure that USB port isn't malfunctioning.

Any of those problems could lead to a device not being picked up by the OS or the software. I'd also check Windows update for any updates concerning USB, such as there was a few days ago for nVidia USB EHCI controller.

Other than that, maybe the device is malfunctioning and needs a swap. Good luck.

Master

One more thing, It has been a while since I used my Instinct, But after MR4 or MR5 we were having issues with the pc recognizing the phone so what I had to do was plug the phone in using usb, pop out the sd card and reinsert it and it would work. Give it a try and see if it helps.

Journeyman

I've done everything you two have suggested -- I used to have same issue you had Levi and I had to do the same thing. This time it doesn't work. I mentioned in a different post that I lost all of my photos and videos (they are still on my phone, I just can't find them). I only have one one sub menu under the My Photos section which is Camera. Could this be related to my computer connection issues? I think I need to visit a Sprint store.

Journeyman

I am so dumb!!!   I have been trying to get this stupid program to work for the past two days, and I NEVER thought about just sticking my memory card in my computer.  Thank you soooooooooo much.  You have saved me a lot of trouble.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat