cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy Mode and Send Referrer

Highlighted
Journeyman

Privacy Mode and Send Referrer

What do these two options do in the Browser Settings menu?

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Privacy Mode and Send Referrer

Anyone with an answer on this?

Journeyman

the send referrer controls whether the browser sends an identity string (for the browser - not you) to the website you are accessing. It allows the website to see if you are a mobile phone and reformat the output or whatever.

I have no idea what Samsung intended with the Privacy Mode

Message Edited by redeyes on 08-14-2008 09:44 PM

Journeyman

the referrer string sent to the server looks like this

TELECA-/2.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; EN-US; SAMSUNG; SPH-M800; Teleca/Q05A/INT) MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1

I will test it tomorrow and see if it sends a different string in "mobile Mode" versus "standard mode" - I doubt it

Message Edited by redeyes on 08-14-2008 09:49 PM

Journeyman

Privacy mode hides the websites in the "history" section in your browser so you cant see the sites you have visited in the browser. When you put privacy mode on in the browser menu and you go to web to click on history. A message will pop up saying "history not available."

Message Edited by Live001 on 08-14-2008 11:18 PM
Message Edited by Live001 on 08-14-2008 11:19 PM

Journeyman

@redeyes wrote:

the send referrer controls whether the browser sends an identity string (for the browser - not you) to the website you are accessing. It allows the website to see if you are a mobile phone and reformat the output or whatever.

I have no idea what Samsung intended with the Privacy Mode

Actually, this is a complete lie. The referrer controls whether or not the browser sends a string that would identify where you accessed the page from. For example:

If you are on www.site-a.com - which has a link to www.site-b.com - if the referrer option is on , then the logs of site-b.com would show that you were referred by site-a.com - if the referrer option is off, that info is not sent and the logs would not show a referrer.

The ID string I referred to is actually the "Agent".

For this phone using the Opera Mini 3 browser, it looks like this

Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.10423/1724; en; U; ssr)

For the built-in browser, it looks like this

TELECA-/2.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; EN-US; SAMSUNG; SPH-M800; Teleca/Q05A/INT) MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1

and it is the same for the built-in browser regardless of standard versus mobile mode.

Sorry for the confusion - currently taking slaps on the left wrist.

Journeyman

Thanks for the answer

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat