cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requested Updates for the Instinct

Highlighted
Journeyman

Requested Updates for the Instinct

I think these are all fairly reasonable, some from an older thread but the focus of this thread is much different.

1. Addition of groups to contacts, as well as the ability to send one text message to more than 10 people at once.

2. The .pdf, .doc (, etc.) viewer could use rendering improvements. It would be nice if it could render like the web browser, breaking pages down into brick and rendeiring individual bricks. I have actually used the instinct to try and view lots of documents and it's okay, but it could be a lot better, and there is definately room for improvement. Also it would be nice if the double-tap zoom was added to this viewer like that used in the web browser.

3. Additional Web Browser JavaScript support including:

• Javascript Animation like that of the Jquery and mootools libraries. The support is good, but it could be better. Right now, in the cases where the browser is able to interpret the javaScript and doesn't just get totally screwed up by it, the browser will reload the page to display the finished animation, but it would be nice if the browser could actually show the animation, even if only at 5fps, it would be better than reloading the entire page. As pages get more complicated I find the JavaScript tends to function less like it should. For example take a look at the jquery docs on your instinct: and you'll see that the implementation of javascript on that site totally destroys the browser. It would be nice if the team who works on the web browser could work on support for Jquery(I've tested it and it does work in simple examples, but stops working as they get more complicated) starting with the Jquery site rendering correctly. There have got to be at least 100 issues that could be fixed with the rendering of jquery.com and it's subpages.
  • Ajax Support - Again. On some pages it works(actually maybe it doesn't work on any page) but on others it does nothing or makes the browser function crazy.
  • Support for .png image transparency - I've had multiple issues on sites I've made and sites I browse regularly with this issue.

4. Increased keyboard responsitivity - This should be straightforward. Especially when I open things like large emails the keyboard takes a boatload of time to reload and seems nonresponsive.

5. The ability to download pdf's and other docs from the web: I know that in the email they get preloaded onto sprint's servers, but couldn't the same be done for pdfs, docs, etc.? My suggestion for a possible system is that you click on a link, the browser sends a message back to the user "Your message is being preloaded, you will be text messaged when it is available" and the user is then text messaged when it is available. Popular pdfs and docs, etc would stay on the servers and unpopular ones would have 24 hours before they were removed. I realize this is a long shot, but I figured if I proposed my idea it couldn't hurt.

I'll add more as I remember them.

8 REPLIES 8
Wizard

Re: Requested Updates for the Instinct

Those are all good suggestions, but honestly, I would rather they bail on any browser improvements because everyone already uses opera mini to do their browsing. I like the ideas for the same rendering for the document browser, that thing currently is terrible, BUT you can actually see some attachments now so if you are in a pinch, you can extract the pertinant information from them. So don't waste time on this either.

I really think the dev team should focus on the top complaints over the last six months that have been posted many times (only paraphrasing to make the point, I know I will miss many): screen lock during call, higher volume capabilities overall (seriously, if you are in a noisy place or gym, forget about hearing your music), GPS and apps over bluetooth, texting and email groups, email signatures, turn spell check COMPLETELY off to speed up the keyboard.

This would all assume that the DEV team listens to anything on this forum, which from their fixes through MR-5, they don't. Unless something can't be seen on the SmokingGun.com, then they rise to action.

I still love this phone and wish it had a few extras, but I have given up hope for some of these aforementioned luxury additions.

Journeyman

I'd give an html email viewer, ability to access other folders on exchage and imap mail servers, and a better pdf viewer higher priority, and most of all, make the work calendar reminders reliable. That has been working for me about 90% of the time recently but it is really useless unless you can rely on it to work every time. I have a laptop and can pull it out if I have to do something that is difficult or doesn't work on the phone, but I really want the phone to do the basic email/calendar things well enough that I don't need the laptop just to read a message or have to leave it on all the time to get calendar reminders.

And Sprint: I'd forgive most of the phone's many flaws if you would permit bluetooth tethering, even with some cap on usage _so I could use the laptop to do the things the phone was advertised to do_.

Journeyman

mmark you obviously didn't get the point of my post. Those fixes have already been requested, and I'm talking about new fixes and additions that could improve the phone. Ya didn't need to shoot me down for your "more important" fixes. And no, most people who use the instinct don't user Opera Mini as it renders in a lower quality and is a lot slower at rendering.

And lesmikesell the phone was never advertised to tether. As far as the calendar goes, I've never had the problems you're describing, prehaps you're entering information incorrectly?

Journeyman

I respectfully disagree. Most Instinct user who know about Opera are using it. It's faster in almost everyway. And as far as "new" updates. I completely understand you wanting new ones. But this "topic" has at least 10 other threads.

Journeyman

@FannyPackInstinct wrote:

And lesmikesell the phone was never advertised to tether. As far as the calendar goes, I've never had the problems you're describing, prehaps you're entering information incorrectly?

It was advertised to tether in the Best Buy ads when it was first released. And it will - it is the Sprint 'everything' plan that ironically doesn't allow it. But I'm more concerned with the less blatent advertising lies: the ones where the phone technically sort-of provides the advertised function but not in the way any reasonable person would expect. I don't think I need to repeat all of the complaints again. As for the calendar, my problem is with the exchange 'work' calendar which is shared and I need the reminder notification if someone moves an appointment or conference call time. I can't control how the entry is made, but Outlook always displays the reminders when I am at the computer. The personal calendar doesn't have the same problem.

Wizard

no, I got the point. Sorry to squelch your thread. reading posts for feature requests always gets me down, bc the ideas are all good, and none of them ever get done.

Journeyman

@FannyPackInstinct wrote:

And no, (1)most people who use the instinct don't user Opera Mini as (2)it renders in a lower quality and (3)is a lot slower at rendering.

1) The majority of those that are aware of Opera Mini use it.

2) You can change the render quality in settings.

3) I'm not sure what you are basing this on, but in my and everyone else's who has ever tried it experience, Opera Mini is hands down faster at rendering web pages than the native browser. And not a "little" faster, a LOT. As in, what would take a couple of minutes to render in the native browser takes a few SECONDS in Opera Mini.

In fact, unless there is a problem with Opera's servers, it's IMPOSSIBLE for the native browser to render faster than Opera Mini.

Journeyman

If you've ever tried to use Opera in high quality mode, or landscape, and then move around the page you'd know what I'm talking about. To load a page in high quality takes about the same time between the two browsers.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat