cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Roaming Only' option missing!

Highlighted
Journeyman

'Roaming Only' option missing!

There are times where I barely get Sprint service. Without the roaming only option I sometimes only get one bar or no bars of Sprint service and have to suffer through many dropped calls and poor voice quality when I could be getting full signal under roaming. This is a really cheap way for Sprint to save money and it is disappointing. Even though roaming is included in the new plans, Sprint is trying to get people not to roam as much and as a result is forcing loyal customers to suffer from bad reception. Obviously, I would use Sprint service whenever proper Sprint service is available but not being able to force my phone to roam in certain situations is a real problem. I have heard many Instinct users complain about this problem on various forums. I hope Sprint will fix this problem with the Instinct in a future update and will understand that the added cost of roaming will repay itself with happier customers.

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

the dont care bout us the want our money is all hell i wa...

the dont care bout us the want our money is all hell i was lied to went i got mine the told me i could use phone has modem and u can not use it on this phone think i am going with the new treo 800 much better phone

Journeyman

Unfortunately, a roaming only option will not be included...

Unfortunately, a roaming only option will not be included with next months update. This is a big change that is going to be effective on all new Sprint phones coming out, and is a result of the new plans rolling out. These plans will not include roaming or will have a limited amount of roaming. However, Sprint has finalized a deal to sell its towers to a company called TowerCo, which will free up a lot of resources for Sprint, and allow TowerCo to focus on building out the network.

Patron

Re: Unfortunately, a roaming only option will not be included...

@InstinctAdvocate1690 wrote:
Unfortunately, a roaming only option will not be included with next months update.

Wait, I thought the update was going to be this month... not Aug. What's going on? I was banking on it being this month so I could decide if the phone was worth keeping.

Journeyman

The update is slated for EOM July but with testing it is...

The update is slated for EOM July but with testing it is probably going to be early august before it is out. Don't wait until it is announced, just keep hitting the software update button on your Instinct. With the way this stuff usually goes, it will probably be available (but unannounced) early.

Journeyman

Re: The update is slated for EOM July but with testing it is...

If it isn't out by the end of this month (considering that they said one was going to be out at the BEGINNING OF THIS MONTH) there is no reason to me to ever believe sprint again, at least with at&t you KNOW they are going to lie to you, and you can even get leaked versions of firmware so you can update yourself if you need a feature.... It seems like I should have followed my Instincts and gotten an iPhone 3g, and back home (the Hannibal, MO / Monroe City, MO area) at&t is the only one with decent reception..... sprint has dead spots on the 4 lane, because they have their towers set to no more than 50% power...

Goodbye Sprint as of July 31st, 2008 at midnight if no update is available.

Journeyman

@Chris, you aren't the only one who feels that way. Many...

@Chris, you aren't the only one who feels that way. Many question why a phone with a broken JVM loadset would be released in the first place. Hopefully for Sprint and its customers, the update will be released within the next 48 hours. Because we all know we want Opera Mini!!!!

Journeyman

Re: 'Roaming Only' option missing!

Sprint Instinct M800 Owner (soon to be former owner whenI return it today)

After a lengthy conversation with tech support the bottom line is they are not going to offer the "Roam Only" on this phone. Forced roam is not an option nor does it look like it will be I had the Samsung A900 and get a "better" weak Sprint signal but was able to overcome this by using the Roam Only feature when at my residence. So after months of previous Sprint issues and customer service problems the only way to send them a message they might hear is to let them know that frustratedservice users are leaving to competitors. I am not a bitter blogger... In fact this is my first ever negative message.

Journeyman

@InStinks wrote:

Sprint Instinct M800 Owner (soon to be former owner whenI return it today)

After a lengthy conversation with tech support the bottom line is they are not going to offer the "Roam Only" on this phone. Forced roam is not an option nor does it look like it will be I had the Samsung A900 and get a "better" weak Sprint signal but was able to overcome this by using the Roam Only feature when at my residence. So after months of previous Sprint issues and customer service problems the only way to send them a message they might hear is to let them know that frustratedservice users are leaving to competitors. I am not a bitter blogger... In fact this is my first ever negative message.

Some people might find the new Sprint AIRAVE service useful if they have weak signal at their home. But it will cost extra... http://instinctbookmarks.blogspot.com/2008/07/sprint-airave-create-mini-cell-tower-in.html

Journeyman

Has this issue ever been resloved???? I have the instinct phone and the phone will sit with 0 to 1 bar (sprint) and will not switch to roam. The end result is little to no reception and/or dropped calls. Alltel is who it should roam to and has ample signal at my location. Any help would be appreciated.

Journeyman

What issue? Sprint left out a roaming only option on purpose. It will never be "resolved".

Your options are to get an Airave and see if that helps, or go with Alltel.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat