SPRINT TV

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: SPRINT TV

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

To ask consumers to go sign up on the developers site to post a problem is a bit much, but I did it.

My TV has taken a downhill turn in the last 24 hours since I updated:

At first I thought the picture was better - less pixelated after the update.

Fox News Channel will no longer load (it worked fine last night and this morning)

Weather Channel - Southeast : I get the audio, but either a black screen or the bright green box.

CNN - loaded fine today (are the left wingers running Sprint?)

I called CS and have a ticket # since she said it was a "network" problem after her Instinct did the same things. Wedid all the standard resets, data profile updates, etc. This is maddening!

Back to the Developers site, that is a real PITA to have to registerover there, and would someone explain why I had to press "1" for English? Not really, but why do I always have to scroll down to find the US on the list? Why don't they put it at the top?

Does that new HTC Diamond Touch phone have all the features on the Instinct? I wonder if they will work?

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's definitely a pain to register there. I wouldn't have done it if Will didn't suggest it.

Getting a response (finally) from Nathan gives me hope. I'm not sure what his role at Sprint is. He has announced details of updates before, so I think he has something to do with the phones OS, and not just a developer as one of the posters implied.

If anything, getting their attention is more than we did over here. From the sounds of it, Sprint isn't (wasn't) really interested in addressing the TV quality.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

You don't need to sign up for the developer site to post problems; we see them here and forward them to development.  Nathan and I have the same direct links into product development.

I have brought this issue to the attention of development.  TV quality is generally an issue with the servers / network side; if a good 'signal' is present, the phone will play it back. That is managed by a vendor, and I've reached out to find out who can help us identify the problem and get a resolution in place.

I know that (unrelated) Pocket Express (Handmark) is upgrading their server capacity to provide better quality News Videos.  Have not heard a current status on that this week though.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

@wengla02 wrote:

You don't need to sign up for the developer site to post problems; we see them here and forward them to development. Nathan and I have the same direct links into product development.

I have brought this issue to the attention of development. TV quality is generally an issue with the servers / network side; if a good 'signal' is present, the phone will play it back. That is managed by a vendor, and I've reached out to find out who can help us identify the problem and get a resolution in place.

I know that (unrelated) Pocket Express (Handmark) is upgrading their server capacity to provide better quality News Videos. Have not heard a current status on that this week though.

Hi Will,

I hate to disagree, but the tv problem on the Instinct is definitely phone related, and not server related. There have been many, many people posting that tv is much better on other phones. I have a Curve and Instinct and side to side there definitely is no comparison. The Curve is so smooth and nice looking and the Instinct is pixelated and freezes. It has something to do with the phone and not the Sprint TV service. Thanks!

Chad

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will, a couple of weeks ago you mentioned we should report bugs on the dev site, so I did. If the problem can be addressed by posting the info here, then I'll post here only.

As for the problem: I'm sure connection has a correlation to quality, however I live in the DFW area where the 3G network should be fine no matter where I go. As I mentioned previously, the TV service is UNWATCHABLE no matter where I am or what time of day it is. I also have not seen satisfactory quality from other Instincts owned by friends or in a Sprint store. Problems include freezing, pixelation, green screen, audio out of sync, and channels not even loading. It should also be noted that when the news videos HAVE worked (rare for me) in these same areas, the quality is usually fine. Infact, it's usually great.

What tells me this is an Instinct problem is I can call up Sprint TV on my RAZR or M520 and it will be acceptable quality in the same areas I have problems viewing on the Instinct.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After the update i checked out the mtv channel outta curiosity. It seemed to work ok except that within a 30min period at least 3-4 times i would get a black screen and it would take me back to the channel list so i had to click the mtv channel about 4 times to finish watching the show.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I have gotten the black screen thing too. However, for whatever reason, other then that problem, the TV is working much better for me now. Before it was an unwatchable slide show, now it is usuable. At least until it goes to black. So not quite ready to be out of the oven yet, but it's getting more baked as time goes on.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The description by sweet greggo details my issue with the Instinct exactly.

I too would like to know the best way to get this looked at by Sprint. I've also posted on the developer forum.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also live in a 3G area and have high signal strenght when I try to watch the tv. My live tv is very pixilated and video and audio do not always match up. I get the green screen and sometimes just a black screen. After viewing for about 5 minutes of live tv (usually on CNN, NFL Network, or Comedy Central) it goes to black screen then to channel list. On Demand video I cannot watch at all. It starts off fine and then the picture freezes and the audio contiues just fine (that is on Daily Show clips from Comedy Central). On CBS and FOX on demand it is very jerky and will jump from screen shot to a screenshot with audio much later in clip (was check with shows that I have already seen). Sometimes after I pick a channel or clip to watch it will take it a couple of minutes to load with screen often going to sleep before show comes up and I'll have to unlock it and press the back button and try again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@kaceyb wrote:
I also live in a 3G area and have high signal strenght when I try to watch the tv. My live tv is very pixilated and video and audio do not always match up. I get the green screen and sometimes just a black screen. After viewing for about 5 minutes of live tv (usually on CNN, NFL Network, or Comedy Central) it goes to black screen then to channel list. On Demand video I cannot watch at all. It starts off fine and then the picture freezes and the audio contiues just fine (that is on Daily Show clips from Comedy Central). On CBS and FOX on demand it is very jerky and will jump from screen shot to a screenshot with audio much later in clip (was check with shows that I have already seen). Sometimes after I pick a channel or clip to watch it will take it a couple of minutes to load with screen often going to sleep before show comes up and I'll have to unlock it and press the back button and try again.

My experience is pretty much the same, and I'm in the heart of the DFW area. When you get a channel to work, it will go for about 2-4 minutes with a few instances of skipping, distortions, or pixelation before dropping out altogether to a blank screen and then back to the channel list. Very frustrating to try and watch anything. Also playing with it the other day I noticed the CNN channel looked like a widescreen picture sqashed into 4:3. Weird,it'd be nice if it used the full screen,but I'd be happy if it just worked.

Highlighted
Patron

Update: Since there were new episodes of shows added to the On-Demand content (oh man, thank YOU Sprint TV!), it SEEMS as if those new episodes stream in a much higher quality compared to those that have been already on the Instinct when I first got them. Maybe they're optimizing the new content coming in so it better fits the Instinct? Go check it out yourself, go to the ABC networks and assuming you watch some of the shows there, you'd know which shows have new episodes. If not, I'm sure you'll get a notice as soon as you enter Sprint TV.

There's still some pixelation and freezing but it's more watchable I guess?

Hey, Will, or any Sprint devs, would you be able to fix this? I'm starting to really like Sprint TV and it's a shame that most of it streams in low quality.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw Will's previous post. Thanks Will for being an active poster. I (and I'm sure the rest of us) really really appreciate it.

Message Edited by Moth on 09-26-2008 12:37 PM

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat