Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung confirms claims of Android-powered Samsung handset hitting Sprint

Journeyman

Samsung confirms claims of Android-powered Samsung handset hitting Sprint

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Patron

I read the article and was wondering if Sprint/Samsung wo...

I read the article and was wondering if Sprint/Samsung would make the software available to us current Instinct owners.

Journeyman

Re: Samsung confirms claims of Android-powered Samsung handset hitting Sprint

I dream of samsung/sprint recalling and replacing our instincts with these. If they integrate an accelerometer, could you imagine? We may see something big soon. I can't wait to see more on this.

Journeyman

PLEASE tell me they're going to scrap the garbage we have now and replace it with Android. I'm fine with the Instinct's hardware, but the software developers seem to be committed to the "it's done when it compiles" methodology.

Journeyman

Re: I read the article and was wondering if Sprint/Samsung wo...

@bbest90 wrote:

I read the article and was wondering if Sprint/Samsung would make the software available to us current Instinct owners.

No, they won't.

Journeyman

@lowe0 wrote:
PLEASE tell me they're going to scrap the garbage we have now and replace it with Android. I'm fine with the Instinct's hardware, but the software developers seem to be committed to the "it's done when it compiles" methodology.

They will not.

Journeyman

crash-"cry me and handful 2 tears in a bucket" What are you talking about?

Journeyman

Oh, I'm aware they won't - it'd cost them money, and there's nothing to gain from it since they already have us stuck in contracts. It's merely wishful thinking on my part. Sprint is stuck in the mentality of providing a device, not a platform like Apple does, and so they're not going to do anything like this.

Journeyman

Here we go, folks assuming Android is so great, just like you all assume the Pre is so amazing though no one has actually used it. Its you hype starters that overrates a device then complain later.

Journeyman

@lowe0 wrote:
Oh, I'm aware they won't - it'd cost them money, and there's nothing to gain from it since they already have us stuck in contracts. It's merely wishful thinking on my part. Sprint is stuck in the mentality of providing a device, not a platform like Apple does, and so they're not going to do anything like this.

It's just not practical. Trying to support 2 completely separate OSs for the same hardware would be a nightmare for Sprint. They will release a Android phone soon enough for those that want it.

Journeyman

I think Samsung did Modify the internial hardware of the...

I think Samsung did Modify the internial hardware of the phone for the Android Powered os to work. So I'm not thinking we can be offered a OS Upgrade. But we may be offered a Special Discount to trade in our phone and up to a additional two year contract . Sprint going to do all they can to save accounts. Now we may know why we never saw the Sprint Instinct Application Site and are not going too!

Journeyman

Re: I think Samsung did Modify the internial hardware of the...

@lynfordd wrote:
I think Samsung did Modify the internial hardware of the phone for the Android Powered os to work. So I'm not thinking we can be offered a OS Upgrade. But we may be offered a Special Discount to trade in our phone and up to a additional two year contract . Sprint going to do all they can to save accounts. Now we may know why we never saw the Sprint Instinct Application Site and are not going too!

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment here. The likely hood of Sprint (or any company, for that matter) offering a completely different operating system for existing hardware is extremely slim (as in, will never happen).

If you want to stay with Sprint, I'm betting you can talk them into giving you a decent discount on the Pre or their Android phone when it's released. That would be something to look forward to. Getting a new OS for the Instinct is not.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat