Did you mean: 

Samsung confirms claims of Android-powered Samsung handset hitting Sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung confirms claims of Android-powered Samsung handset hitting Sprint

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Patron

I read the article and was wondering if Sprint/Samsung would make the software available to us current Instinct owners.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I dream of samsung/sprint recalling and replacing our instincts with these. If they integrate an accelerometer, could you imagine? We may see something big soon. I can't wait to see more on this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

PLEASE tell me they're going to scrap the garbage we have now and replace it with Android. I'm fine with the Instinct's hardware, but the software developers seem to be committed to the "it's done when it compiles" methodology.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@bbest90 wrote:

I read the article and was wondering if Sprint/Samsung would make the software available to us current Instinct owners.

No, they won't.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@lowe0 wrote:
PLEASE tell me they're going to scrap the garbage we have now and replace it with Android. I'm fine with the Instinct's hardware, but the software developers seem to be committed to the "it's done when it compiles" methodology.

They will not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

crash-"cry me and handful 2 tears in a bucket" What are you talking about?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh, I'm aware they won't - it'd cost them money, and there's nothing to gain from it since they already have us stuck in contracts. It's merely wishful thinking on my part. Sprint is stuck in the mentality of providing a device, not a platform like Apple does, and so they're not going to do anything like this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here we go, folks assuming Android is so great, just like you all assume the Pre is so amazing though no one has actually used it. Its you hype starters that overrates a device then complain later.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@lowe0 wrote:
Oh, I'm aware they won't - it'd cost them money, and there's nothing to gain from it since they already have us stuck in contracts. It's merely wishful thinking on my part. Sprint is stuck in the mentality of providing a device, not a platform like Apple does, and so they're not going to do anything like this.

It's just not practical. Trying to support 2 completely separate OSs for the same hardware would be a nightmare for Sprint. They will release a Android phone soon enough for those that want it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think Samsung did Modify the internial hardware of the phone for the Android Powered os to work. So I'm not thinking we can be offered a OS Upgrade. But we may be offered a Special Discount to trade in our phone and up to a additional two year contract . Sprint going to do all they can to save accounts. Now we may know why we never saw the Sprint Instinct Application Site and are not going too!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@lynfordd wrote:
I think Samsung did Modify the internial hardware of the phone for the Android Powered os to work. So I'm not thinking we can be offered a OS Upgrade. But we may be offered a Special Discount to trade in our phone and up to a additional two year contract . Sprint going to do all they can to save accounts. Now we may know why we never saw the Sprint Instinct Application Site and are not going too!

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment here. The likely hood of Sprint (or any company, for that matter) offering a completely different operating system for existing hardware is extremely slim (as in, will never happen).

If you want to stay with Sprint, I'm betting you can talk them into giving you a decent discount on the Pre or their Android phone when it's released. That would be something to look forward to. Getting a new OS for the Instinct is not.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat