cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen unresponsive

Journeyman

Screen unresponsive

My phone started being unresponsive today.  No matter where I touch the screen it brings up the pulldown screen from the top (the one that updates you to missed calls and Emails) , if I touch it again this goes away.  This happens no matter what part I touch including the 3 navigation buttons.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm thinking it may just be that I messed up the screen alignment somehow while it was in my pocket.  Is there a way to reset the phone to factory settings without going through the menus since I cannot use the screen at all?

12 REPLIES 12
Wizard

Screen unresponsive

BRANDON12280 wrote:

My phone started being unresponsive today.  No matter where I touch the screen it brings up the pulldown screen from the top (the one that updates you to missed calls and Emails) , if I touch it again this goes away.  This happens no matter what part I touch including the 3 navigation buttons.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm thinking it may just be that I messed up the screen alignment somehow while it was in my pocket.  Is there a way to reset the phone to factory settings without going through the menus since I cannot use the screen at all?

Brandon12280-

I am sorry you are having some issues with your phone. I would visit a local repair to have they examine the device first. http://www.sprintstorelocator.com/search.aspx?INTNAV=LEG:HE:Store

Chris

Journeyman

Screen unresponsive

My Instinct also just started doing the same thing within the past couple weeks. It will stay like that for anywhere from a few minutes to hours almost everyday. Often, even if it's not just pulling down the notification bar from the top, it still isn't selecting the area that I am touching on the screen (ie, while texting I'll touch the "L" on the keyboard and it will select "A" instead.  When it does work, I've tried re-calibrating it multiple times, but that doesn't help.  Phone is less than 2 years old, no water damage or anything like that.  It's very irritating and I've heard that screen problems are common with this phone. 

Journeyman

Screen unresponsive

mine also has been acting up for the past month!

Journeyman

Screen unresponsive

Took mine to the Sprint store last night. They had to replace the screen (I think the technical term they used was that it needed a new digitizer? Not sure though). They said it's a very common problem once these phones get over a year old. Kinda BS considering you have to sign a 2-year contract, but anyway.....  I don't have insurance, so it cost me $35. Not too bad I guess. Got a new screen (no more scratches!) and my phone has been working just fine since. 

Journeyman

Screen unresponsive

I had screen response issues with my first Instinct, also (I'm on my 2nd replacement phone, currently).  I suggest you go to a Sprint store that has a repair facility.  They will most likely replace your screen.  This phone has made me very appreciative of my decision to keep the insurance on my account.

Journeyman

Re: Screen unresponsive

Very common issue s-30 and Samsung should have recalled this phone. If you take your fingernail or toothpick and run it along the edge between the frame and screen the phone will work again. This is a quick fix if you need your phone in an emergency situation not something you should have to do before every use. I have three and had 1 repaired three times before getting a replacement. Now my wife phone is doing the same thing...waiting on replacement by mail. Yes you can totally reset the phone on the back under the cover. All this will do is return everything to factory settings including losing all your contacts, voicemails and texts, but it will not make the screen start working.

Journeyman

Re: Screen unresponsive

I've just recently started having this issue as well.  ROBERT6572 your advice worked on my phone.  Cannot wait for my contract to end!

Journeyman

Screen unresponsive

when i lost my original phone, they sent me my new one & as soon as I charged it the screen didnt work for two days. the screen occassionally does it now. based off of all the problems i had with this phone, previous ones, & the service itself, i have come to the conclusion that sprint phones are just the worst.

Journeyman

Screen unresponsive

i had the same problem with my phone. then it would be fine for a few hours and then it would start allllllllllllllll over again! to be honest, this is the WORST phone i have EVER owned! i tried to get a replacement phone and the reps were honestly idiots about it. so i just went through the insurance and payed a $100 deductable for the SAME phone and it's still a piece of crap. i cannot wait til this contract ends. it's horrible service to begin with and it's not worth getting a new $300 dollar phone for!

Master

Screen unresponsive

I can explain the reason why this happens and why the fingernail will fix it temporarily...

The screen type used by the Instinct and Instinct s30 are resistive touchscreens. Physically, they are two conductive plastic screens separated by a thin pocket of air. When you press on the screen they touch together and respond with a location X,Y for where you touched. It also is limited to one point being recognized at a time. If the screen is damaged at all and the air pocket is messed up then it will start detecting touches at weird locations, and if it is constantly touching it will ignore your intentional touches because it is already detecting one. When sliding your fingernail on the edge you are separating the two layers and filling that air pocket again, which makes it work again because they are no longer touching all of the time.

This can happen to any resistive touchscreen, but due to the design of phones without having bezels around the edge, some are more susceptible to it happening. See my crude copy/paste/edit work below...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/halcyoncmdr/Buzz/touch_bezel.jpg

The bezel on the phone on the right means it is not likely the two screens can get damaged this way unless it is right in the middle of the screen itself. The left Instinct however the screen is the entire front of the device, and any area that gets separated could cause the issue. Any phone going with a complete front face like that and having a resistive screen will have a tendency to do this. The Instinct HD and any other current smartphone don't suffer from this because thay all have a capacitive touch screen, totally different technology. Newer resistive touch phones like the Samsung Seek and LG Rumor Touch are susceptible to this due to having no bezel to protect the edges of the touch screen.

Journeyman

Screen unresponsive

Thanks for the info, but I tried what you've said and it did nothing! This phone sucks! My fiance and I got these phones at the same exact time and only mine is doing this. Sometimes it will not work at all and there are times when it works just fine.... Not only the screen issues, but somehow my contacts have been doubled...?!?! I can not make calls because I can not get into the call screen, and texting is a joke because I can not get the correct letters to press! I'm sooooo fed up with sprint and this phone! Their stores are filled with rude associates and have horrible hours. I work 6 days a week and usually during the times they're open! What do I do?!?!? I'm paying for a service that I can not use!!!!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat