ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Is The Instinct Worth Buying??

Journeyman

Re: So Is The Instinct Worth Buying??

I upgraded from the original Katana as well.

Huge, huge upgrade. I kinda grudgingly got the Instinct, mostly expecting to return it. I haven't been able to put it down, though. Email, video, text messaging, weather, sports, news, etc, are all fantastic. I suggest you give it a try.

I tried the Touch Diamond and didn't like it. Screen too small and the keyboard is crap compared to the Instinct. The browser (Opera) is miles better, though, and it has a lot more apps available since it's Windows Mobile.

Journeyman

@akipika wrote:

weather, news and sports do have issues... Sprint blames Handmark for not being able to keep up with the demand Instinct users are putting on their servers for the Pocket Express applications.

The TV fix mentioned above about making the changes to the MMG also kill you viewing News videos. The weather app is pretty pathetic as it is not able to display animated radar which is kind of a big deal to me. For that matter, the phone cannot display animated gifs even on the web.

So if you are interested in weather, news and sports, be leary until either Sprint or Handmark gets their act together as the Pocket Express apps do have their issues. As mentioned, a lot of people have problems logging in to eBay, while some others do not. That seems to be the nature of the beast with this phone.

The phone does display animated GIFs. The radar image on the built-in weather app is kinda crap, but somewhat useful. I have the animated local weather radar from WUND.COM bookmarked and in my favorites.

I also have the NY Times mobile site in my favorites. That site is extensive and thorough and looks beautiful on the Instinct browser. Lots of great news and opinion with excellent formatting and word wrapping.

Message Edited by jonnythan on 10-13-2008 01:21 PM

Journeyman

please provide details on where you are going on WUND.com to see animated radar. My phone only displays a static image, even when I click Animate Map. Further more, I can go to my image directory on my website, click a gif that I know is animated and it only shows the first frame of the image. Same applies if I copy an animated gif over to my SD card and try to view it from the photo viewer... single frame only.

Are you using the default browser or Opera?

Journeyman

I believe that the Instinct is an excellent choice for a phone, not a pocket laptop. Like most people, I have been using my 30 day evaluation time as a period of deep reflection to make sure we are making a purchase that is smart for the future. I just returned from the Apple Store inquiring about the iphone over the Instinct. Yes, the iphone is a neato phone with superior graphics and development thus far, but it comes at a cost. That is cost is

A) no possible INSURANCE! Really?? The little boy that helped me at the store said, "most iphone owners take care of their phone more, so insurance is not needed." Um, duh, that is why they are "accidents" not "purposements".

B) The plans are SUPER expensive. My wife (BB 8330 curve) and I pay $129.99 at Sprint before insurance ($7 each phone) and before our corporate 18% discount. This plan, if you don't know includes 1500 mins and all the data and texting one can imagine. AT&T currently offers a plan for $129.99 with 700 mins, no insurance possible (see A). Then, if you are an avid texter, like my wife, then you can spend $5 per phone for 200 texts, $15 per phone for 1500 texts, or $30 for family unlimited texting. I have never been a fan of add-ons. I did not like when Sprint used to do that, and since they stopped that with these new plans, I will continue to be a customer. Sprint customer service has always done me right for the last 10 years (call during the day to get the nice people).

The Instinct feels better in my hands, I like it not being glass that I am tapping and fearful of dropping, but rather something I can feel a report on (vibration when choices land). Native typing in landscape mode on the Instinct, something you have to have a 3rd party app for the iphone (and it then has to send it to your email, so you can send it out from there). Video camera is pretty nice to have, never thought I would care, but it really does a great job. Forwarding voicemails is another slick feature that is ilacking on the iphone, which is a native way to send to do reminders and such. and voice to action is good as usual and live search finds the craziest stuff around me that I never knew existed.

I upgraded from an Samsung A900 and this is light years better obviously. Once that MR4 upgrade kicks in (and they will get to it!) and I can view PDF, .doc, .ppt, etc. I will be very, very happy. Unlike others in this forum, my video, radio, all work great, if it hangs, I just step out and go back in, not a big deal. The browser upgrade seems to be moving quicker and accessing many pages fast, although I only experienced the previous version for a couple days. My GPS is mega accurate and really fun to use. I believe that Sprint will come through, I will be practicing patience until then and enjoying all of the other sweet features that are already there.

(that said, I would appreciate some feedback from the Sprint Admin on some of the delayed announcements for those of us who enjoy defending Sprint)

Journeyman

Animated radar works for me from WUND.com on the default browser.

Journeyman

i actually have the instinct and the iphone. By far the i...

i actually have the instinct and the iphone. By far the iphone killsssssssssssssss the instinct in every which way or manner. Noone can compare any phone to the iphone. The touchscreen on the iphone puts the instinct into shambles. But if i had sprint and not at&t i would get the instinct. But if i had at&t or even t-mobile. I would definitely go for the iphone without a doubt.

Journeyman

@akipika wrote:

please provide details on where you are going on WUND.com to see animated radar. My phone only displays a static image, even when I click Animate Map. Further more, I can go to my image directory on my website, click a gif that I know is animated and it only shows the first frame of the image. Same applies if I copy an animated gif over to my SD card and try to view it from the photo viewer... single frame only.

Are you using the default browser or Opera?

I'm using the default browser.

I go to wund.com, type in my zip code, then click the radar icon. There's an "animate map" link under it. Click that and you have the animated radar.

Bookmark it to make it easier to get to after.

Patron

@Gametime13 wrote:
After the most recent fix, is this thing worth $130? It really appeals to me, but has gotten a lot of bad press. Does it work well enough to buy it, or should I look at something else? Thanks for any feedback!!

It depends on what you expect from the phone. If you're looking for a phone that's like the iPhone (assuming you're anti-iPhone), you're better off buying an actual SmartPhone, PDA, or Blackberry. If you're just looking for a phone that's somewhat multimedia and you don't really depend on it that much other than the basic features like texting, gps and light internet use, then I say it would be a decent buy at 99$ at Radioshack or 130$ with no rebates at Best Buy. Other than that, it doesn't stack up to the iPhone so if that's what you're expecting, prepared to be let down. Samsung and/or Sprint really ripped me off on that part, advertising the Instinct as an iPhone competitor and killer.

Journeyman

Reading some of your posts I am already starting to get b...

Reading some of your posts I am already starting to get buyers remorse and I haven't even received the phone yet (it is being delivered today at 4:30 FedX). I switched from AT&T to Sprint with this phone and now I am wondering if I should have chose the iphone. Man I really hope I made the right decsion because I signed up for a 2 year contract as well.

Journeyman

Re: Reading some of your posts I am already starting to get b...

@jeff S wrote:
Reading some of your posts I am already starting to get buyers remorse and I haven't even received the phone yet (it is being delivered today at 4:30 FedX). I switched from AT&T to Sprint with this phone and now I am wondering if I should have chose the iphone. Man I really hope I made the right decsion because I signed up for a 2 year contract as well.

Don't let the messages get to you.

Every time I unlock the phone and touch it, I absolutely love it.

Highlighted
Patron

If I could go back and do it all over again, I am not so...

If I could go back and do it all over again, I am not so certain that I would buy this phone - knowing then what I know now of course. While it seems to have massive potential, it is in its infancy stages, whereas, the iPhone seems to be in its later teen years. I swear, if the iPhone and the Instinct merged, I'd have the PERFECT phone.

Journeyman

Re: If I could go back and do it all over again, I am not so...

Sprint has made it painfully clear that they put extremely little thought into this phone while developing it. They just threw some stuff together, said "huh, this is probably good enough. No one will notice the corners that were cut",and hoped it would work out.Obviously it hasn't.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat