cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something problematic is definitley going on with the Instinct after the last firmware MR5 update..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Something problematic is definitley going on with the Instinct after the last firmware MR5 update..

This started yesterday where my phone locked up on the Loading... after trying to delete the Google Maps application. After shoosing to delete, I got the normal message that 'please wait while the app is deleting' or similar.. This never went away and forced me to pull the battery which on the reboot led me to the infamous Loading... screen

Long story short, took the phone to Sprint, they confirmed it was in warranty (no $50 deductible) and ordered me a new one, I took it home and used BitPim which wiped it clean and I 'thought' all was well again..

After updating whatever application could be updated, my text messages started dissapearing, then my email started going crazy (connected to exchange for work), then it locked up again and rebooted and seems fine but..all texts are gone and all emails were gone until I refreshed the email application..

Software Versions:

prl :60612

SW:ES M800.08 CA10

HW:M800.08

MCL:5.5.28

OBIGO: Q7.2-1.0B

EMAIL: 6.9.3.377

VM: VN.4.1.0.21

NAV: 2.1.0.25

MUSIC: 2.2.38

SPRINT TV: 3.0.62

LIVE: 1.70.1

POCKET EXPRESS: 1.1.5

I will add that I haven't had any issues since I purchased this phone back in June/July but something is going on and I am starting to see a few folks saying the same..

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

Not sure what is wrong with your phone, but just as an aside, your PRL looks a little out of date. Mine is at 60650. You might want to do an "Update PRL" in Settings. Shouldn't interfere with your phone functioning correctly though. But it might help yourtalk coverage.

Also, you said your Music was 2.2.38... should be up to 2.2.39.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Deleting Google Maps is known to brick the phone especially if you've done the policy mod. It has nothing to do with MR5

Message Edited by Sphinx on 02-26-2009 03:44 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Sphinx wrote:
Deleting Google Maps is known to brick the phone especially if you've done the policy mod. It has nothing to do with MR5

Deleting Google Maps is known to brick the phone ONLY if you've done the policy mod. I haven't read about anyone having trouble if they didn't apply the hack.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@sweet greggo wrote:

@Sphinx wrote:

Deleting Google Maps is known to brick the phone ONLY if you've done the policy mod. I haven't read about anyone having trouble if they didn't apply the hack.

*Bleep*.  Now I am scared to death to remove Google Maps.  I do have the hack applied.  What are the odds it will brick the phone?  Does it do it every time?
Message Edited by MikeLee on 03-02-2009 08:41 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, it will brick every time. There is a reason Sprint implemented the policy restrictions and this is one of them. Im sure Sprint has replaced hundreds of phones for this very reason. If you want to or need to remove Google Maps, first, you have to restore the original policy.txt through QPST and then reboot the phone. You should then be able to safely remove Google Maps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@troyboytn wrote:
Yes, it will brick every time. There is a reason Sprint implemented the policy restrictions and this is one of them.

Wouldn't it have been more sensible to just supply an OS that doesn't die when you remove an application? You know, like everyone else does...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree 100% with that. But it is what it is....too late to cry over spilled milk! Dont know if the rumor is true but supposedly this OS was thrown together by one guy in a relatively small period of time. If true, I guess he's not as smart as he thought he was.Or...he was a genius and was alsobeing paid by a competitor (a double agent...so to speak)to

throw in all of these glithes/incompatibilities. lol All jokes aside, this is still a good phone and remember that all media/smart phones have their own issues from time to time.

Message Edited by troyboytn on 03-01-2009 02:55 PM

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat