cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Android

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Android

I have been searching for any information on a possible sprint android and havent found much. Would any of you drop the instinct for a sprint Andriod? Would it be much better? Will android ever be ported to the instinct? (probably not).

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint Android

I highly doubt Android will ever be ported to the Instinct. I believe that Sprint is part of the Open Handset Alliance so it's possible Sprint might carry a phone w/Android in the future.

IMHO a handset is not just software/OS/GUI, but hardware as well. And in the same humble opinion, color me unimpressed by the G1. Put Android on decent handset hardware & I'd consider it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not true. I just read a new's article recently that Insti...

Not true. I just read a new's article recently that Instinct will be the Andriod phone. Supposedly it'll be launched by the end of the second quarter of 2009. What I want to know is if this is the case will the next gen phone do all the things that the other phone can do, and then some, but ours doesn't, that was left out to get it out to market? I'd really consider upgrading to it if that were the case. Come to think of it why can't our phone do a lot of things it should be able to do?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Not true. I just read a new's article recently that Insti...

The Instinct will not be the Android phone. What the news releases said is that Samsung is working on an Android phone that will be carried by Sprint and T-Mobile. It will have a similar design to their current touchscreen phones like the Omnia and Instinct. It will not be a modified Instinct although it may look similar.

Here is one article on the topic. Clearly, the image shown in the article is a composited image of an Instinct with the T-Mobile G-1 Android interface. Maybe that is what confused triple.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/12/19/sprint-and-t-mobile-get-new-samsung-android-phone-in-june-...

Message Edited by Blubble on 02-09-2009 10:54 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Not true. I just read a new's article recently that Insti...

I think I read somewhere that Android requires 5 hardware buttons, something that the Instinct doesn't have (not counting the volume, power, etc.)

If Android come to the Instinct, it will be an Instinct LIKE phone, not the phone you currently own. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah same article. Picture probaly did through me off. I...

Yeah same article. Picture probaly did through me off. I could care less if it has more buttons if it means we get andriod. What I care about is it uses something similar to the phone we have.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Yeah same article. Picture probaly did through me off. I...

What I'd really like is a touch screen phone like this with an optional case with a flip or slid out keyboard. That way you would have the choice of having a real keyboard when you expected to need it and could get by without if not. Or, a bluetooth keyboard might work so you could use any size.

Highlighted
Journeyman

lesmikesell, You may find this product interesting. I am not sure what BT profile it would use, but it is an interesting idea.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/06/lgs-lba-c300-bluetooth-qwerty-card-is-the-best-calculator-loo/

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I think something like that would be great for an ssh or vnc type app on the phone where you might be doing input all the time and need to see the screen at the same time. I'm pretty sure the phone won't support it, but it would be theoretically possible in a software update and something to look for in future touch-screen phones.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat