cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Music downloads

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Music downloads

Does anyone know if you can download music from sprint, then copy the music (using the SD card) on to my computer and put it in itunes so it will copy to my ipod. In other words, can you download sprint music to your ipod? I know there has been threads explaining how to get music you already have from itunes to your instinct, but didn't know if you could do it the other way.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Music purchased from Sprint can be downloaded to your PC from your Sprint.com account.

 

However, it is WMA format with DRM protections; I know it plays in Windows Media Player, a Zune or other handhelds that support Windows DRM; I do not think iTunes or an iPod support the DRM scheme used by the Sprint Music Store.

 

Anyone tried this?

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

You should look at buying music from Amazon. There is no DRM involved and you can even get songs using Pepsi points. 5 points gets you a free song. Nothing like a free high quality MP3 legally obtained. Beats the pants off DRM'd WMAs.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info! Just used Amazon, and it works on both the instinct and the ipod! Still curious about the sprint store vs itunes. Don't have time right now, but might try it sometime to see if it will work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For iTunes, you will need to create a playlist of the songs you want, then burn the playlist to CD. Then you will need to rip the CD to MP3 or your preferred format. It's kind of a convoluted process, but at least you have a backup copie of tracks you bought from iTunes in case something ever happens. I think the way it is now, if something were to happen to your harddrive and you lost all yours you purchased from iTunes, you cannot go back and redownload them. You would have to repurchase! So anything you buy from iTunes, it's probably wise to back up to CD/DVD.

The Amazon tracks are plain old MP3s with no DRM, so you don't have to worry about any of that license crap and if it will or will not work on a device. I love Amazon for moving in that directoin 🙂 Glad it worked for you. You should be good once you burn your iTunes songs to CD and then rip to MP3, which will get your songs over the the Instinct.

Highlighted
Journeyman


@wengla02 wrote:

Music purchased from Sprint can be downloaded to your PC from your Sprint.com account.

However, it is WMA format with DRM protections; I know it plays in Windows Media Player, a Zune or other handhelds that support Windows DRM; I do not think iTunes or an iPod support the DRM scheme used by the Sprint Music Store.

Anyone tried this?


yes i have once you add the song to iTunes it will convert it to mp3 format than it allows the song to play on iTunes and an iPod.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have downloaded music I purchased from the Sprint store. It works as WMA. I have a concern though. It looks like Sprint is shutting down the ability to download purchased music to your PC. Here is a quote from the Digital Louge page (music).

"

Important: PC downloads of your Sprint Music Store purchases will only be available until 10/14/2008. (Does not apply to Palm Centro.)

"

Does anyone know anything about this? Does this mean that music purchased on the Sprint store will only be available for download and use on the phone?

Thank you.

~ Joshua

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ballerlikemike23 how do you transfer the file? I just purchased a song on my phone. Pulled the SD card out and put it in my computer. I opened up itunes and tried to import it into itunes but it did not work. The file came up .koz which I am unfamiliar with.

Highlighted
Journeyman


@winston2 wrote:

Ballerlikemike23 how do you transfer the file? I just purchased a song on my phone. Pulled the SD card out and put it in my computer. I opened up itunes and tried to import it into itunes but it did not work. The file came up .koz which I am unfamiliar with.


I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong; it happens often) in order to download the song onto your computer, you have to log into sprint.com and download the music from there onto your computer. I've never done this before, but this is the way I've always assumed it has worked.

Highlighted
Patron

Easy: 1.) Download or Buy the song you wish from the sprint store on you phone. 2.) Connect the Instinct to the Computer using the usb cable and, using the sprint software, go to the songs you phone has and download them to you computer. 3.) Go to iTunes and click 'File' and 'Import'. Find your song and double click it. 4.) It is in iTunes!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok.....I guess my next question is how do you get the media manager to work. I gave up on the disk, and just downloaded it from the website, but it still doesn't work......oh well, this is a lot a trouble for something I can just get on amazon.com and do.

Highlighted
Journeyman


@Rennat wrote:
Easy: 1.) Download or Buy the song you wish from the sprint store on you phone. 2.) Connect the Instinct to the Computer using the usb cable and, using the sprint software, go to the songs you phone has and download them to you computer. 3.) Go to iTunes and click 'File' and 'Import'. Find your song and double click it. 4.) It is in iTunes!

thats exactly how you do it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat