cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Will Delete your Mobil Sync Contacts without telling you........................

Journeyman

Sprint Will Delete your Mobil Sync Contacts without telling you........................

Get this, I lost my Instinct phone so after spending a whole day looking for it, I finally gave in and called Sprint to use insurance and get a new one. However, I also had an extra Sprint phone, from when i got the Instinct and called to have it enabled for the 5 to 10 days getting the new one. They activated the other phone no problem. I now have a working phone until my new instict arrives. Here's the fun part.

When you do this, Sprint will DELETE FOREVER all your contact data in Mobile Sync. Amazingly, while this isnt an uncommon scenario for people waiting for replacement phone, they actually DELETE FOREVER WITHOUT BACKUP, all your mobile contact data. NOT ONLY do they delete it, they dont mention it to you when you activate the new phone!!

Isnt that amazing! THE ENTIRE PURPOSE of the Mobile Sync is for exactly this scenario. You lose your Instinct, and it replaces your contacts! Wonderfull!! Except.. NOPE .. SPRINT has deleted them! And guess what they did for me after acknowledging that this is exactly what they did. NOTHING !!!!!!!!

Turns out, they dont BACKUP their MOBILE SYNC! lol. SO guess what.. TOUGH !! Thats how Sprint rolls!!

THE AMAZINGLY USELESS MOBILE SYNC! THANKS SPRINT !!

WONDERFULL AS USUAL !!

12 REPLIES 12
Patron

HA! As usual, SPRINT FAILS AGAIN! I feel sorry for you. h...

HA! As usual, SPRINT FAILS AGAIN! I feel sorry for you. have to ask everyone what their phone # is AGAIN! Sprint Fails in customer service, Sprint Fails in useful services, Sprint Fails on making a iPhone predicessor, Sprint Fails to have reliable service, Sprint Fails in being a suitable phone company, Sprint Fails in EVERYTHING!

Journeyman

Re: Sprint Will Delete your Mobil Sync Contacts without telling you........................

i find this very hard to believe man! i have gone throguh about 4 instinct phones ever since the phone came out. every time i change to a new phone, within the 1st hr, after activating mobile synch, i get all my contacts back. well there have been times that i might miss one or 2 due to the fact that i had named 2 people with the same characters (for example john ep and John EP). but i learned the first time so now i do not use the same characters for contacts again. Also to add how great mobile synch experiece it has been for me, for the instinct, not only did i get my contacts everytime, but also my speed dial list was created on its own with the last contacts i had there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this was impressive.

Journeyman

Re: Sprint Will Delete your Mobil Sync Contacts without telling you........................

I can confirm this as I also lost my Instinct. I called in to report it lost so whoever got it wouldn't be able to use it and activated an old sanyo 8400 in the mean time. Played with the 8400 a bit trying to figure out how to get my contacts back but no avail. Tried online and it said my phone (the 8400) wasn't registered for mobile sync. So I called sprint and apparently when you switch to a NON-INSTINCT phone (such as losing yours and putting up a temp flip-phone in the mean time) you lose all your contacts! The lady said "You should have gone online and wrote them down before you put the 8400 on your account" I was like WTF the rep who reported the phone lost and did my ESN swap never said a word about having to manually backup all my contacts.

I had about 10 numbers registered from out of state people I know and the only way to get their number again now is to wait for them to call me.

Just a heads up that if you're using Mobile sync, be damned sure when you switch to another phone, even if just a temporary one like the OP and I did, that you go online and make a copy of your contacts because sprint WILL DELETE them and you won't be able to get them back.
Unbelievable on Sprint's part and even more unbelievable when they try to pass the blame on to the customer when they never bother telling you that your contacts will be deleted after reporting your phone as lost.

Journeyman

Sorry that happened to you guys. I had so much trouble initially getting my contacts to sync up to the server, that I have never trusted that mobile sync software one bit. So, when my contacts finally got sync'ed, I went online and did that "Export" function. This writes your contact data out to a textfile on your PC for safekeeping. Then if Sprint ever screws up (highly likely from the sound of it), then you can just do an "Import" to re-populate your list online from the textfile.

One word of caution with doing the Export/Import: it flips your HomeAddress and WorkAddress entries. Yeah, it's a bug, but it beats the alternative of losing your contacts altogether.

Message Edited by MarkBugs on 10-19-2008 09:20 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you use the software that comes with your Instinct to sync from Outlook or Express to sprint.com, all you have to do is open up SPrint Mobile Sync on your computer, click sync to website, and seconds later they are back on the server.You will then get them back on your Instinct.

If you still have your old phone or Instinct, you can always take them into a Sprint store and have them copy them from phone to phone as well.

May not be what you are looking for, but at least there are options to get around it or prevent it if there is a next time.

Master

@ilovetechnology wrote:

If you use the software that comes with your Instinct to sync from Outlook or Express to sprint.com, all you have to do is open up SPrint Mobile Sync on your computer, click sync to website, and seconds later they are back on the server.You will then get them back on your Instinct.

If you still have your old phone or Instinct, you can always take them into a Sprint store and have them copy them from phone to phone as well.

May not be what you are looking for, but at least there are options to get around it or prevent it if there is a next time.

OP lost his phone so taking it to a sprint store is not an option. As far as syncing with outlook, Yes it will replace your contacts somewhat, Mobil sync doesn't read them the same way as outlook, Meaning it will mess up the address and such so you will have to go into the contacts after you sync and fix the mess it creates.

Journeyman

Apparently I should have read this before updating my phone.  I just went from an Instinct to a Hero and lost all of my contacts.  The place that I bought it from offered me a credit towards my new phone if I turned my old one in.  They suggested me getting my contacts transfered and I cavalierly informed them that I had all my contacts backed up and that it wasn't necessary.  Imagine my surprise when I got into my Hero and discovered there was no way to import the contacts.  I logged into my Sprint account and there was absolutely no trace that such a service ever existed.

And to the people advising on what I should have done to save the contacts...that's like someone saying they got shot in their house and telling them that they shouldn't have been home.  Hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to pick apart people's problems with that sort of vantage point.  The fact is that there was never any indication that this service was unique to the Instinct and that upgrading to another phone would mean that your contacts would be deleted.  I had 100% confidence that it was a Sprint feature that would work from phone to phone.  There is absolutely no way I could have know otherwise.

Very disappointing.

Wizard

thanks for sharing this most important information. i agree, contact information is the most important thing on a phone and sprint should know better so to train their employees and reps regarding this function or lack thereof. sorry to hear you all had to learned the hard way.

Journeyman

Not trying to get Sprint's back (Lord knows I have had my problems with them!) But I think that your synced contacts were lost because you activated a non-instinct phone in the interim while waiting for your new phones. Having said that, the rep should have, at the very least, made you aware that this may happen and backed up your syncs to place on your new phones.

Journeyman

You're kind of stating the obvious here.  Of course that's the reason the contacts were lost.  The point is that there was never any sort of warning.  And I'm not just talking about Sprint employees, I'm talking about the section on my account page where the synced contacts used to be displayed.  There was absolutely no indication that the synced contacts were some proprietary feature of the Instinct.  There was no warning what-so-ever that they would be lost.

Having said that...I called and stated my case clearly and calmly and they put in a ticket to have my contacts retrieved.  It took about two days and I got them in a .csv file which I then imported to Gmail (I have a Hero and my phone is synced with my Gmail account).  So all in all everything turned out OK.  Just wish it didn't have to be just a hassle.

Journeyman

Man its cazy you say that!! just as im looking for my contacts though mobile sync; i read your comment on sprint not up holding to their word..i really need my contacts & wondering if there's any way to get a hold of them..!!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat