Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint loses more customers, while ignoring Instinct customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint loses more customers, while ignoring Instinct customers.

Folks, I hate to say it but our issues with the web browser, music player, calculator, apps, and other issues are being completely ignored. Case in point, Sprint's 3rd quarter results.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091029/bs_nm/us_sprint_1

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Sprint Nextel Corp (S.N) reported a wider quarterly loss and a 9 percent decline in revenue on Thursday, as more valuable, monthly bill-paying subscribers dropped its wireless service.

The third-quarter loss widened to $478 million, or 17 cents a share, from $326 million, or 11 cents a share, a year earlier. Revenue fell nearly 9 percent to $8.04 billion.

Analysts had expected the No. 3 U.S. mobile service to report a loss of 15 cents per share on revenue of $8.09 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

At the heart of Sprint's struggles is the loss of postpaid monthly-bill paying subscribers, the most highly valued customers in the wireless business. Sprint lost 801,000 in the quarter, even as it offered Palm Inc's (PALM.O) high-profile Pre phone. Analysts had figured it would lose closer to 870,000.

What is more, chief rivals, AT&T Inc (T.N), the U.S. home of iPhone, and Verizon Wireless, a venture of Verizon Communications Inc (VZ.N) and Vodafone Group Plc (VOD.L), added more than 3 million subscribers between them.

I suspect many of those 801,000 customers are Instinct customers. They got tired of being ignored and left. However, he's the Spin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/30/technology/companies/30sprint.html?bl

Daniel R. Hesse, chief executive, told investors in a conference call that Sprint was just beginning to turn the corner.

“We had some successes in the third quarter, but we still have much progress to make,” Mr. Hesse said. “We are far from satisfied that we have not returned to subscriber growth.”

If you look at what elements of the industry are seeing growth, it’s prepaid,” Mr. Hesse said. “Absolutely, we’d like to be the leader in the prepaid, but it’s still a smaller part of Sprint’s business.”

Sprint’s difficulties in retaining subscribers have been worsened by the recession and the saturation of the wireless industry, said Craig Moffett, an analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein & Company. “Sprint is a better company than it was a year ago, but unfortunately, it’s a less attractive industry than it was a year ago,” he said.

Mr. Moffett said the mobile industry was going to become even more challenging for all of the wireless carriers. “This is a company that is learning how to swim just as the water is getting drained out of the swimming pool,” he said. “There’s not enough growth in the wireless market for them to pull off a turnaround.”

Mr. Hesse emphasized the importance of Sprint’s next-generation wireless network. The company has introduced the service, in conjunction with its affiliate Clearwire, in 17 American cities, with plans to continue deployment next year. “We think 4G will move the needle,” he said. “We’ll be the only game in town in 2010. That’s a big deal.”

Progress? WHAT PROGRESS? The web browser has not been updated in ages. This browser is so bad, I'd rather use Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP with all its flaws. The music player still hasn't been resolved. The calculator that has been flawed for awhile now. Email problems that comeback. Virtually no new apps. This is not limited to the Instinct, s30, or the HD. Plenty of other devices out there are in serious need of attention and Sprint hasn't been able to do it.

I'm at my wits end that everyone is claiming Sprint's turning around when really its not. So can we get a straight answer here? Is this phone pretty much done? If that's the case, then Sprint really should apologize to Instinct and other customers for failing to give the quality of service needed and allow users to change phones within existing contracts with no extra charge for switching phones. If Sprint is serious about customer retention, it needs to admit failure with these bum phones, apologize, but most importantly MAKE IT RIGHT! Start doing what it takes.

But seriously, we do need answers! No more of this we don't know and hiding of information. Is the music player going to be updated to fix its issues? Is the web browser ever going to be properly updated or replaced?  What about the continuous email issues? When is the resolution coming?

Its sad that we have to post after post after post make these questions and we still aren't getting answers or solutions.

Now I don't want to blame the buzz about wireless team, you guys do the best that you can. But this is absolutely frustrating beyond belief! However high this needs to go so we get direct answers, someone needs to do it. If not, you can expect more headlines about customers leaving Sprint for greener pastures in the future.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint loses more customers, while ignoring Instinct customers.

Okay...I have had my instinct for 14 months now. This is my first post to this forum. My patience has withered away. When my contract is up the end of June I am going to Verizon. Only a monumental act by Sprint will keep me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint loses more customers, while ignoring Instinct customers.

My wife has the instinct,  her only complaint is the web browser is not as nice as mine, HTC diamond.  Of course at the time that we purchased the phone the instinct was $100 cheaper then the HTC Touch Diamond.  Sprint made a mistake in comparing it to closely with the Iphone, it is a great phone, my wife reports never having had a dropped call, she likes the visual voicemail, the browser satisfies her when she commutes to work. and she likes the text messaging application, we only send around 50 a month, some with pictures.  all in all it is worth it to her to have paid $100 less.  Now she is a prefered customer so that means she has the ability to upgrade at full discount pricing in 12 months, so just 2 more months is her Birthday I will look and see what other phones are out there.  But over all, given the phones that were out there on the everything plans way cheaper then verizon or Att and even Tmobile, heck we have probably saved enough to buy a new phone at the discounted price.

Yes I wish Samsung and sprint could magicly turn the instinct into a Palm pre,  and maybe they shouldn't have comared it so closely to the iphone, but it was a great price,   compared to the other touch screen phones and had a great plan.  everything data 1500 share.

Anyway sorry to see you go, if you do, but remember we can still stay in touch, it doesn't cost me a cent when you call me from your Verizon phone. Any Mobile Any Time. 

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat