cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing Contacts with the Mac

Highlighted

Syncing Contacts with the Mac

The Instinct doesn't natively sync to a Macintosh, but you can easily keep your contacts in sync using bluetooth.  Before you begin, you'll want to pair your phone with your Macintosh via Bluetooth.

First, open your Macintosh address book and select the contacts you want to sync - just command click to select multiple cards.  You can't select groups to send; it only sends the first card.

Next, choose 'Card -> Send This Card' from the top menu and it will prompt you to choose a device.  Choose your SPH-800 phone.  Accept the transfer on the phone, and it will automatically add them to your address book.

If you want to send groups, you need to take an extra step.  Select the group in the left-most pane of Address Book on the Mac.  Choose 'File -> Export Group vCard' from the menu.  Save this to your Documents folder.  

Now, from the bluetooth icon on the top menu bar, choose 'Send File'  It brings up the standard finder window - navigate to the file you just created with your contacts.    The whole group will be automatically added to your phone!  

To add a contact from your phone on the Mac, view the contact on the Instinct and touch the 'Send Contact' button - it'll search for your Mac and then you can beam it over via Bluetooth!  The .vcf file will be received and you can just view it in the Finder and double click to add it to your address book.

Known Issues:

If you update a contact on the Mac, then send it over to the Instinct again, it will create a duplicate contact.  Workaround:  Delete the contact before sending the updated contact.

If you create a contact on the Instinct, or update it on the Instinct, then try to send it to the Mac, Address Book may not like the VCard and report that "No Importable Cards Were Found".  Some cards work, some do not.  We're researching why some cards work and others do not.  At the moment you can try the import - it won't break anything, and worst case you'll have to double key the data.

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

these are directions for manually adding contacts, syncin...

these are directions for manually adding contacts, syncing implies an automatic process, is there any plans for actual mac syncing on this instinct?

Journeyman

It seems wrong to say this phone is competing against the...

It seems wrong to say this phone is competing against the Iphone. It is not even in the same league. The Iphone can sync with any computer regardless whether it is a PC or a Mac. Right there is a reason to buy an Iphone instead of an Instinct. If you are going to have a phone battle make sure you don't discriminate against the Mac people who love to buy gadgets. So I am saving to buy an Iphone unless Sprint can figure out that Mac people are people too.

Journeyman

Does this mean we can manually sync our calendar with iCa...

Does this mean we can manually sync our calendar with iCal via bluetooth? Why not a simple calendar release that's neither Outlook or iCal that we can use to view on our computer?

Journeyman

On this topic, is there a way to (via Bluetooth or whatev...

On this topic, is there a way to (via Bluetooth or whatever) transfer all the contacts from the Instinct to the Mac? Is there a way to even select multiple contacts simultaneously on the Instinct?

Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Syncing Contacts with the Mac

You can transfer all the contacts from your instinct to a trusted bluetooth device; see this helpful post:

http://forums.buzzaboutwireless.com/baw/board/message?board.id=Samsung_Instinct&...

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

I actually found that link before your reply, but it was,...

I actually found that link before your reply, but it was, none-the-less, exactly the right solution. Thank You!

Journeyman

This actually does not work. When I click on Card, I do n...

This actually does not work. When I click on Card, I do not see the 'Send this Card' option which allows me to select a device. Am I missing something? I use Mac OS X.

Journeyman

Re: Syncing Contacts with the Mac

Does this still work with the new Instinct s30? There is no 'Send This Card' under Cards in my Address Book version (Version 4.1.2 (700)). Would also like to transfer/sync iCal. The new instinct is nice and Sprint has better prices than AT&T. It is also the only Sprint phone that seems to have a big enough screen to use effectively as a GPS, but if you cannot get your calender and contacts in there then it is cheaper to keep a simple plan with a simple phone and buy a hand-held GPS.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat