cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "Request Your Apps Here" Thread

Journeyman

The "Request Your Apps Here" Thread

So I'm sure that the announcement that the phone will have some API's opened up without the requirement of a signature has spurred some part time developers, like me, too seriously consider developing for the instinct line of phones. I'm especially interested in the fact that Sprint is demonstrating a commitment to the instinct line, with the s30 and the dash inbound. Post your ideas here and I'll consider them. For musicians out there I've put together a metronome application that I'll have out soon enough(Although I may wait until the new firmware to ensure added features work). I'm sure others who can develop will look at what you submit here.

My only request is that you don't ask for new phone features, such as those already listed all over the site, including locking screens during calls. Instead, try to ask for applications that could be independant of UI or functional changes.

23 REPLIES 23
Journeyman

Re: The "Request Your Apps Here" Thread

The two apps I need are IHEART Radio and golf course yardage gps app. These are available for Iphone and Blackberry how about Instinct?

Journeyman

Heh the two suggestions that you've given me are good, but nearly impossible to do. On the first one I would have to contact iHeartMusic and try to get them to send me their API's to interact with the instinct, and the likelihood that I'd be taken seriously is near zero. I would love to try it, and I may just send them an email for the "what the heck" sake, but I doubt they'd even return the email.

On to the golf app. The company that owns the golf course databases would have to make that application. They own the database for the golf courses, so I doubt they'd let anyone else use it to create an app. The only possibility there is, is that they'd let me write the app if they could have all the profit from it.

I encourage your creative spirit! If you want my advice I will definately try to contact anyone who already makes FREE apps for the iphone and see if I can get them interested or whatever, but for the most part I'd only be able to provide apps that don't require web services(such as access to databases of information) but I will certainly try! It can never hurt to try!

Journeyman

Requested Apps?

IRC chat app, Java chat app, Slacker Radio app, Flash plugin, Java plug in, Shockwave plug in, and a browser with no memory errors that have copy, paste, and tabbed browsing functions.

How's that?

Journeyman

I'm a music junkie, so I'd really like an app likeShazam that can identify a song playing while in a bar or store somewhere.

Journeyman

I second that. A Shazam type app would be great. Also, a real (UPC) barcode reader app.....not those stupid dot matrix ez codes that are very few and far between.

Highlighted
Journeyman

THis is good, these are some ambitious projects. Just a note though, flash support would require licensing from Adobe, and there are a lot of issues with making a phone able to run flash, so I'm going to cross that one off the list because there are way too many hurdles to tackle. I could get caught up a year in just that one project. I'll start with the easy and interesting, and work my way down to the hard and mundane.

I'll be making a new, free metronome app. The big difference will be the way that it displays, which I think some younger musicians will find more useful than the needle.

Message Edited by FannyPackInstinct on 04-05-2009 11:32 PM

Journeyman

instead of these psuedo UI's (like iclone) why can't someone design an app like snap-tu which is widget based so you don't keep exiting out of the app? Its more european based but I like the

Journeyman

facebook, accuweather, picasa, google calendar, etc. widgets and when you back out you return to the home screen with cool looking icons

Journeyman

that is an excellent idea Mlblack....why hasnt anyone thought of this before

Patron

I just want the "little" things that probably don't mean much to others. I like the way the text message conversations show in the iphone or Palm Pre instead of the boring gray and white we have. I also saw on the HTC phones where the weather app has a windshield wiper when it shows rain in the forecast. I just think the Instinct is missing out on the small details that other phones have. I'm guessing that changing those things has something to do with the Instinct's UI, so it might not fit your criteria, but that's my wish list.

Journeyman

Ssh, vnc, vpn clients, bluetooth keyboard. A vnc server might be kind of neat too - so you could see the phone screen on a computer and use the computer keyboard for operations that might take a lot of typing. Also, a volume control utility that could separately tweak the bluetooth/headphone/speaker/ringer settings on the fly might the problem with apps like pandora.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat