cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Buy? Or Not To Buy?

Journeyman

To Buy? Or Not To Buy?

The Past two weeks i have been contemplating on buying this phone or not. I was gona go with the LG Dare from verizon. But it seemed like they only advertised it for its camera. and i want a phone not a camera. My Initial pick was the Instinct because i have only had experience with sprint. Im Kinda having second thoughts about it though. I just want to know overall if its a good reliable phone. For texting, internet service, and basic overall fun. I really dont want to buy an iphone and this is my second choice. Any info on anything would help me. Future for this phone? Updates? all that. THANKS!

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: To Buy? Or Not To Buy?

Well depends on what you want it for. If you need it for certain "business" type things then no it won't work for you. For me I love it works great the touch screen it's self is great sensitivity can be adjusted you can also calibrate the screen. Internet browser is kinda a pain sometimes but an update or 2 over the coming weeks should fix and enhance the browser and if nothing else there should be a update coming in August for MIDP Java so we can then put Opera Mini 4.1 on it. Texting is great virtual keyboard works great for me it doesn't have T9, has built-in auto spell check. Has email, weather, sports, movies, news, visual voicemail all work good. SprintTV is so-so needs work looks block pauses/freezes. Radio works good. Camera on it is basically only good in full sun light(no flash). Biggest problem in my opinion is the fact that phone calls aren't set as priority one, meaning if you are using data services you won't get the call. Really as of right now this phone is great but depending on what you want it for it might not be for you.

Journeyman

No, Not for buisiness. Just want a cool new phone to flas...

No, Not for buisiness. Just want a cool new phone to flash in front of my friends lol. no but it does need to be reliable. So theres no really big faults with it right? i dont want it breaking in like a month. How often do the updates come. or is it just random. We know as soon as sprint does? Kinda Like the whole live video thing but if there gona advertise it......it cant be crappy slow t.v. and what kind of channels does it support. What about music? Im very Big on music

Journeyman MDG
Journeyman

"For texting, internet service, and basic overall fun."  If this is what you are looking for, I think the Instinct is an excellent choice. Yes, the phone does have some bugs that are being worked out, but as long as you are not wanting to use it as a powerhouse business PDA, I think you will be very happy with it. Even with the bugs that are still being worked out, the phone still has an 8.0 rating out of 10 after 330 reviews on this site, so a lot of people are very happy with their Instinct. I have personally gotten to play around with one and I think its the coolest phone Sprint has had since I've worked here. There are phones that Sprint has that do more, but this phone is real fun to play around with. The browser may not be as slick as the iPhone, but its still much better than using the web on most other phones in my opinion.  Good luck with your choice, and remember, you have 30 days to try out and return a phone if it does not suit your needs.

Journeyman

Re: No, Not for buisiness. Just want a cool new phone to flas...

@xKidxWonder wrote:
No, Not for buisiness. Just want a cool new phone to flash in front of my friends lol. no but it does need to be reliable. So theres no really big faults with it right? i dont want it breaking in like a month. How often do the updates come. or is it just random. We know as soon as sprint does? Kinda Like the whole live video thing but if there gona advertise it......it cant be crappy slow t.v. and what kind of channels does it support. What about music? Im very Big on music

It's not slow TV but it's very choppy/blocky at this point, there are updates slated for this month that might fix this problem.

Channels:

Sprint Exclusive Entertainment

Disney Channel

CNN

Fox Sports

E!

The Weather Channel

Fox Mobile

Sony's Minisode Network

ABC Mobile

ABC News NOW

CBS Mobile

MTV

Comedy Central

Nickelodeon

Cartoon Network

Fox News

The Blast

Speed

NASCAR on Speed

Discovery Mobile

SpikeTV

CW Mobile

The N

LOGO

ET To Go

MTV Tr3s Mobile

GameTrailers

VH1

CMT

All the other stuff on here is premium that costs a fee per month.

It's a very reliable phone. The only big fault right now as I said is phone calls aren't priority 1 (there is a self-fix for this though). There is going to be a update by the end of the month (expected any day now) and updates for now look to be coming once maybe twice a month(pretty random though). Music it has Sprint Radio streams great for me good stuff there. Music on SD card is good some people have a problem an error (maximum songs exceeded) some people don't have this problem at all. It will not play DRM music the phone can accept up to 8gb SDmicro. Music through the phone speaker is so-so. On headphones/bluetooth isn't great but you can hear it good enough. Music plays while texting,web surfing, (basically anything that doesn't have audio).

Message Edited by UnSTaBLE on 07-23-2008 10:01 PM
Message Edited by UnSTaBLE on 07-23-2008 10:02 PM

Journeyman

@UnSTaBLE wrote:

It's not slow TV but it's very choppy/blocky at this point, there are updates slated for this month that might fix this problem.

In my area, the TV is smooth. The video quality is like any other highly compressed streaming video (somewhat pixelated) but it is very usable...

Journeyman

I think you will get a good phone and Sprint's plans are the best value for money! You will save every month compared to AT&T and Verizon plans...Get it from BestBuy and you will walk out paying $129.99 + tax for the phone. I think LG dare has better camera but otherwise Samsung Instinct is better in most aspects. iPhone 3G has a lot better browser but AT&T's monthly plan will cost you a fortune!

Journeyman

my roommate just got the dare last week and i got a chance to play with it for a few hours.It's a nice phone,but i love my instinct.the dare is too small for my hands and from what i noticed it's not as smooth (scrolling) as the instinct.Also theres no radio stations.Which was a big turn off for me. hope that helps.

Journeyman

I did some extensive research before buying the Instinct a couple of weeks ago. I have been

very happy with my phone. Everything said before this is correct. Some faults, most which

will be addressed with the July update.

I am having a small issue here and there with my phone, but they are nothing major. I have

been with Sprint since 1999, and have never (ok, maybe once.. but it was a long time ago)

been disappointed with their service. So, if the small problems I am having (problem with

viewing movies taken with phone, and some websites in browser crash browser) continue

after the update - I will get a replacement phone.

Having said that, the phone has a certain cool factor to it. Everywhere I go, people want to

play with it. The 'slider' motif they used to end calls, and toggle some settings is very cool.

The music player is good. There are a ton of media options to keep you busy. The visual

voicemail is so handy! The email works like a charm. The navigation is fantastic and has me

thinking I may want to sell my Garmin (one thing about the nav though.. it eats up your battery..

so get a car charger if it is available.. you'll be glad you did).

Truth be told, I wanted an iPhone as well. But buying two phones (my wife and I) and the phone

plan with AT&T would have cost me $500 to $600 plus $180 a month. The two Instincts cost

$260 and cost me just $105 a month. Over the two year contract, I am saving over $2100.

That, my friends, is called a "no-brainer".

Lastly, there are a handful of people that sulk around on this board and others who rise every

morning just so they can bash the phone endlessly. Do not listen to these guys. The phone is

not perfect - but no phone is. Get the phone and try it out. You will not be disappointed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well. I think im sold. It sounded like a great plan from...

Well. I think im sold. It sounded like a great plan from the start. And im glad im ordering it now because the update should be right around the corner. So i should have no problem. Thanks! to all.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat