cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an AUX jack to use Instinct as hands free through car stereo

Highlighted
Journeyman

Using an AUX jack to use Instinct as hands free through car stereo

A while back I saw a post on here where someone was apparently able to plug their Instinct via an AUX jack into their car audio system and then was able to hold conversations, hands free, through their car's speakers. Is this REALLY possible??? If so, can someone that has experience with this PLEASE write back how exactly you were able to do it??? THANKS!!!

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Using an AUX jack to use Instinct as hands free through car stereo

Very easy.

You get a cable that has 3.5 mm mini-plug on each end male to male. This will likely be something for the ipod in the store.

Then you hook it up to your stereo (mine has the 3.5 mm Aux input , if you don't you have to get whatever you have as the other end).

Note that this is for speakers only ! Your phone mic will pick up your conversation.

Pros:

You can play music, your phone rings and you answer it - talk on the speaker phone, when done it goes to playing your music.

Cons:

Some people complain of echo on their side, it is much better after the update but some is still present. I tend to adjust the balance to use only driver front speaker (note only one) during conversation , and then switch it back to noraml after the call. It takes 2 sec to turn the balance, and I only do it when people complain...

Sprint Product Ambassador

Acutally, to do hands-free conversations, you'll need a 3.5mm adapter with a microphone on it.  When you have any headset plugged into the phone it disables the internal microphone.

You can search on Google for "3.5mm Stereo Headset Adapter with microphone" for a start....

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Will,

Give it a shot first.

Its working (before and after the July update) in my car with no issues.

I don't think people are reading my mind. When I talk to a disabled mic.

Patron

I tried using a 3.5 headphone jack adapter with RCA out and there was no sound coming out. After inspecting the plugs from the wired headset and the adapter I was trying to use, it's clearly different. The adapter I was trying to use has 2 plastic ring separators and the wired headset had 3 plastic rings. I tried to go to different stereo and electronic stores in my area, but couldn't find the right adapter. So, I just cut the ear piece off the wired headset and soldered in RCA jacks. Works well with my car audio system now, I even mounted the mic in my center console so I can use the button on it.

Journeyman

The 3 separators is a three wire setup (actually 4 wire with the 4th being ground that is common to all of them).

So here you get Left Speaker, Right Speaker, and Microphone.

The 2 separator is the most common 3.5 is the Left and Right speakers i.e. Stereo for you headphones.

THIS IS EXACTLY what you need. Since your car would play the sound through its speakers. While Microphone would be used from the phone.

If you do use the 3 separator cable you will find that this will disable the microphone on the phone, since now its technically connected to nothing. Since your car will not provide a microphone you need the 2 separator one.

In summary get the 2 separator one for use as described above.

You could also test this out by plugging any regular headphones with 3.5 plug, and be able to hear people through the headphones, and speak through the phones mic.

If you get 3 then you will need a mic hooked up as well.

Patron

@VR4 wrote:

The 3 separators is a three wire setup (actually 4 wire with the 4th being ground that is common to all of them).

So here you get Left Speaker, Right Speaker, and Microphone.

The 2 separator is the most common 3.5 is the Left and Right speakers i.e. Stereo for you headphones.

THIS IS EXACTLY what you need. Since your car would play the sound through its speakers. While Microphone would be used from the phone.

If you do use the 3 separator cable you will find that this will disable the microphone on the phone, since now its technically connected to nothing. Since your car will not provide a microphone you need the 2 separator one.

In summary get the 2 separator one for use as described above.

You could also test this out by plugging any regular headphones with 3.5 plug, and be able to hear people through the headphones, and speak through the phones mic.

If you get 3 then you will need a mic hooked up as well.

Yup, I knew that. But for some reason, the spacing between the different rings were different on the adapter that I had. When I pushed the jack in, it would play the left channel and when I slightly pulled it, it was playing the right channel. Maybe it was just the adapter that I had (who knows), but that wired headset actually has a purpose now.

Journeyman

what i did was i have a cd/tape player in my car and my c...

what i did was i have a cd/tape player in my car and my cd player is not working so i got the tape with the cord attached and plug it into the headphone jack and presto hands free conversations

Journeyman

i use the aux jack on my car stereo to listen to the stan...

i use the aux jack on my car stereo to listen to the stand up routines on comedy central while driving home from work. It is totally awesome, and puts me in a good mood.

Sprint Product Ambassador

OK - I'll try it on the way home tonight.  When I tried conventional headphones (Grado SR-60's fwiw), the microphone was disabled.

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Do you have an Instinct ? It sounded to me that you have a Treo.

Journeyman

I use a sony headset to rca adapter and it plays in the speakers fine and I use th phone for the mic on my leg as i drive. no complaints of echos yet but it is normally quite low that i am talking on. I also use the hadset to aux heaset and it did the same. Guess each adapter could be different though. Good luck

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat