cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to being able to set your phone on roaming, automatic, or sprint network only?

Highlighted
Journeyman

What happened to being able to set your phone on roaming, automatic, or sprint network only?

I can't believe they removed the functionality of forcing your phone onto either a roaming or sprint network. The instinct only allows you to set it to automatic or sprint only. What the heck!? Especially since the instinct gets really unstable reception. On my old samsung when I had bad reception I would force it on roaming and what do you know...I would get full reception...this sucks now that i have to deal with one or two bars when I know if I was on roaming I'd be getting full service. What do you guys think?

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

U R SOOOOO RIGHT!

U R SOOOOO RIGHT!

Journeyman

I think roaming is included in the simply everything plan...

I think roaming is included in the simply everything plan, but I thought it was unlimited. If I find it, I will post it.

Journeyman

Sorry if this post repeats the last post - it didn't appe...

Sorry if this post repeats the last post - it didn't appear to go through. Go to MAIN - SETTINGS - scroll all the way down to ROAMING. Select your option - Sprint Only, Automatic - You can select data guard and should set to OFF if you have an unlimited plan or ON if you did not pony up for the unlimited for whatever reason. Hope this helps.

Wizard

Re: Sorry if this post repeats the last post - it didn't appe...

Sorry, fwbkotowske, that still doesn't allow the user to force the phone to a stronger roaming signal if a weak Sprint signal is available.

(I do that on my simple Sanyo phone sometimes when, for example, Sprint is at 1 bar and drops calls and the best roaming signal is five bars. When I use my phone for something important, I don't really care who's tower I use, just so long as that call gets through reliably.)

Journeyman Kaz
Journeyman

ROAMING IS INCLUDED IN THE SIMPLY EVERYTHING PLANS. SE Pl...

ROAMING IS INCLUDED IN THE SIMPLY EVERYTHING PLANS. SE Plans includes domestic iDEN messaging (1-way text, 2-way text, MMS-text only, MMS-audio/image), Includes domestic CDMA messaging (2-way text, Picture/Video mail), Domestic Unlimited Direct Connect and Group Connect for capable devices, Domestic Nationwide Long Distance and No Roaming Charges, Unlimited Domestic Web Access, Access to Music Premier and TV Premier, Unlimited Navigation, E-mail including BlackBerry BIS access (but not BES), NFL Mobile and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile

Wizard

This isn't about roaming COST it is about roaming MODE

Folks, the OP isn't concerned with the cost of roaming or if it is included in his plan, but with the fact that his new phone CANNOT be FORCED to roam when needed so he can get a good usable signal.

Older units can be forced to a ROAM ONLY mode - his new unit cannot.

Journeyman

Re: This isn't about roaming COST it is about roaming MODE

Ok, people... This isn't the first phone not to have to the option to be set to roaming only. I noticed it on a phone I'd upgraded to a couple years ago, although I don't remember which one it was because I go through so many phones. Its nothing new. Of course it is nice to HAVE that option if you need it but this isn't the first phone to do away with it by a longshot.

Journeyman

I was actually going to start a thread about this issue b...

I was actually going to start a thread about this issue but yes I agree...Before I purchased the instinct, I owned the Samsung MM-A900 AKA the "Blade". The blade had that option and it worked wonders for while I was sitting at home because I would be lucking to get two bars of Sprint service!!!!!!!!!! We all need that option back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journeyman

Sprint's new plans that are rolling out will not include...

Sprint's new plans that are rolling out will not include roaming as a free option, so this change is going to ultimately benefit you. Yes, it is definitely a bummer for those living in fringe areas, but it DOES protect you from running up an outrageous bill because of roaming. Actually, all new phones that are coming out will not have the "roaming only" option.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat