Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to my GPS maps??? I no longer get street maps in the Navigation app???

Journeyman

What happened to my GPS maps??? I no longer get street maps in the Navigation app???

How many others are having this problem?

Is this another "software" problem??

Navigation is the ONE thing that worked great...and now its tanking???

Now I'm starting to think that the recent updates are polluting my phone.

Is this something that Sprint or whoever is aware of and working on...maybe something temporary

that will be fixed soon.

I'm losing faith in this thing fast!

I've been patient...had the instinct since 6/23...holding out for updates and improvements but I want to throw the thing through

the TV every time I see an Instinct commercial touting its "features".

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

I had a similar problem, and from time to time get it. What makes sense to me is that since the maps are not pre-loaded, and thus downloaded on the fly, bandwidth clogging might be not allowing the maps to download in a timely manner. I only notice this when I'm in the NYC metro region (I live in NYC).

Outside of NYC, GPS maps work great, and the web FLIES, especially in more rural areas with EVDO.

I could be wrong, but does anyone else have any info on this topic?

Journeyman

I actually think that is a very good theory as to why people have problems in some areas. Network congestion. I think they sold more Instincts at a faster rate than they thought they would leading to server issues. Server capacity seems to be a huge issue these days. In the past 8 months, Microsoft, Apple, and now apparently Sprint have all had this same issue.

Sprint Product Ambassador

+1 there - the maps are all generated and delivered over the air.  No maps are stored on the handset.  As more and more people use Navigation, the servers may experience some slowdowns.  We're a big fan of Navigation and want it to be working as well as possible.  Do feel free to use click-to-chat or email Sprint to report the trouble.  The more tickets we get, the more pressure to get it fixed / upgraded.

Will 

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Thanks for the replies!

Journeyman

@wengla02 wrote:

+1 there - the maps are all generated and delivered over the air. No maps are stored on the handset. As more and more people use Navigation, the servers may experience some slowdowns. We're a big fan of Navigation and want it to be working as well as possible. Do feel free to use click-to-chat or email Sprint to report the trouble. The more tickets we get, the more pressure to get it fixed / upgraded.

Traffic information has been broken for several days. Several have documented it. Broke around the time that the Movies Near me was fixed.

Journeyman

Earlier today I experienced this issue where no maps would download. However, now it seems to work fine. Perhaps the server load isn't as high late at night (~10PM CDT).

Journeyman

This is still an issue. Please fix it SPRINT!

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat