cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What parts of the ID3 tags does the Instinct use???

Journeyman

What parts of the ID3 tags does the Instinct use???

I am getting really frustrated trying to get my MP3s to show up the way that I want them to in the MP3 player in the phone.

I am not sure what matters so I am going to explain everything that I have done and see if anyone can help

• I have a folder for each artistand then the MP3s for each albumunderthe artist in it'sown folder named for the album.
  • I have the filenames set to artist - title.mp3
  • I have used Mp3tag v2.42 to remove all of the tags and then batch recreate the tags so that all of the songs from one artist all have the exact same artist name and the songs from the same album have the exact same album name.
  • I have the artist name in the Artist ID3 tag field
  • I have the song title in the Title ID3 tagfield
  • I have the genre set to an appropriate ID3 tag Genre
  • I have the album cover set to a 250x250 album cover attached to each song

Media player, iTunes, and other PCbased programs sort the music just fine. When I transfer to the flash drive via USB to the Music folder it shows multiple albums with the same name and one song in each album, sometimes it shows the album cover artwork sometimes not, Not all of the songs with the same genre show up in the genre page.

I cannot figure this out, I have tried many ways to get everything sorted and nothing works. Here are some general questions that would help me be able to figure out why the phone MP3 player behaves so strangely.

What ID3 tag version does the phone read? ID3v2?

Does the filename or folder the song have any effect on the MP3 player song sorting?

What ID3 field(s) drive the Artists list?

What ID3 field(s) drive the Albums list?

What ID3 field(s) drive theGenres list?

How are album covers derived (not song covers, those seem to work fine)?

In All Songs, is the list made from filenames or ID3 tag fields (artist - title)?

Thanks,

Chad

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: What parts of the ID3 tags does the Instinct use???

I am wondering the same thing. I have edited the ID3 tags in Vista and they are not being recognized correctly by the phone. For example certain songs are not recognized by the different metadata like Artist or Album info. I have to scroll through the entire song list to get to a particular song.

Journeyman

So it seems that nobody really understands how this thing uses the filesnames/ID3 tags....

Sprint people, do you have any comments?

Chad

Journeyman

Unfortunately I have not seen any definitive way to have tags show up correctly on the Instinct player. Some PC users have been lucky using the media app to upload songs. Others have not been so lucky. Sometimes the album art work will show up, for example, and sometimes you'll have a blank icon. The same goes for Mac users (like me), who have to jump even higher hurdles since the media app that comes on the Instinct CD is not Mac compatible. Have you guys done a search in this forum? I've seen some workarounds mentioned here by using 3rd party applications to edit the tags. However, no matter what method you use, I do not believe there is a sure way to get all tags to correctly show on the Instinct.

Journeyman

I have tried every tool mentioned on the site and others that I have found... I have tried on Windows and Linux. Some albums and mp3 list corretly and other don't, even thought they are tagged exactly the same way.

I just can't seem to figure out the way the developers were thinking when they coded the logic to list the albums, titles, album art, etc.

Very strange.

Chad

Journeyman

I got a chance to mess with this a little tonight. It must be keeping an index somewhere, maybe on the phone storage and not on the SD card. I edited the tags and changed the album art every way I could think of, deleted the files with the Media Manager app, deleted directly off the card, copied via Media Manager and directly, and nothing ever changed as far as what was displayed in the music player. What I finally found to fix the problem was this:

Go to the music player on the phone

Delete the screwed up items off the phone using the music player

On the PC, fix all the tags for any given item and add album cover art using mp3tag.

Copy the files and voila!

Everything workie.

(At least for the three albums I've tried so far.)

Message Edited by deathweezel on 12-31-2008 11:03 PM
Message Edited by deathweezel on 12-31-2008 11:04 PM

Journeyman

Honestly, it should not be that hard. To me, that is one of the weaknesses of the Instinct.

Journeyman

Some additional things I found out

The player doesn't like non-english characters. I suspect it's only really a problem in the file name, but an n with a tilde in the title shows up as a little box, anyway, so it would be pointless to keep them. It'll crash somewhat gracefully if you try to play, back to the home screen if you try to delete.

So far, it seems perfectly happy with album art added to the files via mp3tag.

As far as titles, it will create a second listing for the same album if the artist tage for one of the songs on that album contains more than one artist. For example, on one song on Disc 2 of Dwight Yoakam's Reprise, Please... it had Flaco Jimenez listed in the file's artist field along with Dwight Yoakam. Result was two album listings with different artists for the same album.

Journeyman

@deathweezel wrote:

The player doesn't like non-english characters. I suspect it's only really a problem in the file name, ...

Actually, the problem is also present in the artist's name. In fact, the Instinct does not like non-English characters anywhere. Even in contacts, the phone will not recognize those characters.

Journeyman

@Egidio wrote:

@deathweezel wrote:

The player doesn't like non-english characters. I suspect it's only really a problem in the file name, ...

Actually, the problem is also present in the artist's name. In fact, the Instinct does not like non-English characters anywhere. Even in contacts, the phone will not recognize those characters.

I wasn't sure if the non-English character in the title would actually crash the app is why I put it like that. It definitely doesn't show up correctly, though. I didn't feel like testing every possible variation of characters in different places, unless Sprint pays me to test like that.

Journeyman

@deathweezel wrote:

I wasn't sure if the non-English character in the title would actually crash the app is why I put it like that. It definitely doesn't show up correctly, though. I didn't feel like testing every possible variation of characters in different places, unless Sprint pays me to test like that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess I am glad thatI am notthe only user whocan't figure out how the phone uses the ID3 tags, but I thought that maybe someone at Sprint knew.

Silly me!!

Chad

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat