cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When the Spint fixed the browser???? Why so limitions???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: When the Spint fixed the browser???? Why so limitions???

So, this browser came from another device on which it worked really well?

No, itsa third-party mobile browser product that carriers and phone manufacturers can license and customize for their handsets. It is the Teleca OBIGO browser.The Verizon DARE also features a version of it. Its just not very good.

Highlighted
Patron

I am responding to Will's specific comments in his previous post on this thread, not his overall helpfullness or lack of helpfullness or whatever.

I worked as a CSR and supervisor to CSRs for 6 years. I maintain my position that a CSR is paid to take it and be nice. I hope that companies that provide services to me share this position.

Consumer feedback or criticism does not mean that the consumer is not "taking it easy".

Highlighted
Patron

<blockquote><hr>Bradskey wrote:<br><br><p>No, itsa third-party mobile browser product that carriers and phone manufacturers can license and customize for their handsets. It is the Teleca OBIGO browser.The Verizon DARE also features a version of it. Its just not very good.</p><hr></blockquote><p></p><p>Thanks. :)</p>

Highlighted
Journeyman

Iwish I was there when they were "developing and testing" Instinct's browser, and they actually said with straight faces, "OK. This is it! Great job folks! This is perfect." I would have had some choice words for them.

I feel strange posting to a thread with such a special title.

Message Edited by c4400 on 07-22-2008 03:51 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

@c4400 wrote:

Iwish I was there when they were "developing and testing" Instinct's browser, and they actually said with straight faces, "OK. This is it! Great job folks! This is perfect." I would have had some choice words for them.

I feel strange posting to a thread with such a special title.

Spint no me screw up!!! Be instintc are perfecct!!! you sandwich, and chat peaple!!! respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Patron

@c4400 wrote:

Iwish I was there when they were "developing and testing" Instinct's browser, and they actually said with straight faces, "OK. This is it! Great job folks! This is perfect."

I like to imagine that particular dialogue went something more like:

"OK people we lost over 1 million customers last quarter and the iPhone hits in 3 weeks. We need to get this thing on the shelves. Do we have something we can call a browser?"

"Well, um... sir... define browser..."

"C'mon son... we need something on this phone we can call a browser so we can advertise that it has a browser. We had the guys down in legal try to find a way around actually having one on the phone but they say we can't say it has one unless there is some semblance of one really there."

"Well sir... we are um... in the early stages... and..."

"Listen son, who's team are you playin' for here? Load this thing up and get it on the shelves! We can tell them there's an update on the way."

"Well, um sir... the update... well... we think most people expect these things to be ready out of the gate and..."

"We aren't paying you to think, son!!!! Get in there and prep it, box it and get it on the shelves!!!"

Highlighted
Journeyman

wengla02 wrote:

The web browser does need a bit of work; we're working with the vendor to optimize it for the device.

One would wonder why this didnt happen before it went to market?

i agree, that is just a bit dumb that they have to optimize it for the phone AFTER the phone is out! come on sprint! DUHHH!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@jigielnik wrote:

@wengla02 wrote:

The web browser does need a bit of work; we're working with the vendor to optimize it for the device.

One would wonder why this didnt happen before it went to market?

i agree, that is just a bit dumb that they have to optimize it for the phone AFTER the phone is out! come on sprint! DUHHH!

As a former developer, drybonz is pretty close, alhtough in my experience the management character isn't quite as sleazy - MOST of the time. But almost certainly upper management came down and said move the delivery date up. Dev teams had to cut open items from the bug reports and hope/pray for the best. It's a matter of fast-right-cheap, you can pick any two (most of the time, sometimes only one if you put enough emphasis on it). We know Sprint, in trying to beat the 3G iPhone to market, picked fast...

But hey, according to the board some things work really well: GPS, it's a good phone, e-mail has a some issues. There are some worse ones, like the browser.

The only thing I can personally see from a technical standpoint that was a big boo-boo is not being MIDP compliant. The other issues were almost certainly driven from a management requirement ("scope reduction" to meet a delivery date).

Message Edited by rutledjw on 07-22-2008 07:33 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Poor service is never justified. However, refusing servic...

Poor service is never justified. However, refusing service on the grounds that a customer is irate, profane, or rude is justified. Its part of that whole, we have the right to refuse service... Just one reason to always be respectful and kind to the person you're talking to on the other end. It has always worked for me, and Sprint has never let me down in assisting me in the 10+ years I've been with them.

Highlighted
Patron

Well what do you know? A Sprint person actually confirmed working is coming for the browser! Woot!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The shortcomings of any product that launches early or incomplete can almost *always* be attributed to the number crunchers or marketing team of a company (or, even the lawyers, in some cases). Somewhere down the lines, companies stopped listening to their designers and engineers, and only started listening to suit-wearing monkeys. If this product was made by the designers and engineers of it, at their discretion, you can bet it'd be a much more solid product, possibly even better than the iPhone.

The big irony in this whole thing is that, all while Sprint is stepping over dollars to pick up dimes, Apple's laughing all the way to the bank, because they put their faith in their engineering and design teams, and allow them to create the product that can sell itself, marketers, accountants and lawyers be damned.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

dclowd9901 wrote:

The shortcomings of any product that launches early or incomplete can almost always be attributed to the number crunchers or marketing team of a company (or, even the lawyers, in some cases). Somewhere down the lines, companies stopped listening to their designers and engineers, and only started listening to suit-wearing monkeys. If this product was made by the designers and engineers of it, at their discretion, you can bet it'd be a much more solid product, possibly even better than the iPhone.

The big irony in this whole thing is that, all while Sprint is stepping over dollars to pick up dimes, Apple's laughing all the way to the bank, because they put their faith in their engineering and design teams, and allow them to create the product that can sell itself, marketers, accountants and lawyers be damned.

Completely off topic, but I suggest you go read "Defying Gravity: The Making of Newton"  (amazon link) they let the engineers have their head, and they delivered one of the most joked about products in the history of computing.  

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat