cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there be an application store coming?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will there be an application store coming?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Master

There already is one "Digital Lounge", Just not many App's for the Instinct.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No. We will prob never get 1. If we want apps we r going to have to get an iphone. Sorry this is the sad truth. It depresses me also. Mostly none of the apps on getjar work on this phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will, I have learned a lot from reading this site and I appreciate the information and updates you bring regarding Instinct. Please continue to keep us informed, thanks

NOW MY RANT

There are many who consistently complain about the lack of an App store for Instinct and this thread asks the question, Will There Be An App Store? I will go out on a limb and say the answer is YES, YES, AND IF YOU DIDN'T HEAR ME I SAID YES, and the reason why is very simple.

Everyone listen closely, pay attention, and utilize Common BUSINESS Sense as I illustrate the facts:

1. What form of Cell Phone Technology is dominating the market right now? Answer: Touchscreen

2. What is Sprints most popular phone whether you like it or not? Answer: Samsung Instinct

3. What kind of phone is the Samsung Instinct: Answer: Touchscreen

4. What kind's of new phones do you think Sprint will offer in 2009 and beyond? Answer: Touchscreen phones

5. What type of Applications do you think Sprint will begin to sign as a result? Answer: Touchscreen Compatible

6. IF Sprint wants to profit from the Digital Lounge wouldn't it make "Common Sense" to serve their line of Touchscreen Phones? Answer: Yes

So I think its fair to assume that there will be more "apps" for Instinct.....its rather obvious isn't it? Answer: Yes

Highlighted
Journeyman

I highly doubt that there will ever be a app store specifically dedicated to the instinct. As a matter of fact, has there been at least one app specifically for the instinct in the digital lounge or anywhere else for hear matter?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Who said Instinct Specific? Sprint is likely to launch a series of touchscreen phones with universal applications. Besides, I'd rather not have 10,000 Instinct specific yet useless apps.

Message Edited by Sphinx on 12-24-2008 09:18 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

It doesn't even need to be sprint-specific apps since the phone runs standard java, although for access to the hardware and filesystem they need to be signed with a certificate that sprint controls.

Highlighted
Journeyman

likely? Don't hold your breath. And if it were as simple as a certificate, why hasn't it been done? What's the hold up? You can't even install a simple IM app.something that the simplest of phones have. I've lost complete faith on the instinct.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@WestSiide wrote:
lAnd if it were as simple as a certificate, why hasn't it been done? What's the hold up? You can't even install a simple IM app.something that the simplest of phones have. I've lost complete faith on the instinct.

The certificate is expensive. It will be interesting to see if google adapts google maps (which works nicely otherwise) to have access to the GPS signal. Nimbuzz works fine for IM and I think there are some others - but without the certificate they can't run continuously in the background.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does Instinct not already have one of the best Navigation Applications already? Is it really necessary to hound Google over enabling GPS, its not needed on Instinct. The Satelite View is a nice addition and Street View would be nice but GPS is not a necessity.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The built-in voice navigation is good, but if google wants to give away an app that has a nicer view and an interface that is easier to zoom and manuver, why shouldn't we have it too? Likewise, why restrict what other 3rd party apps can do, like opera not being able to download, or IM apps not running in the background? There's no such restriction on palm apps on the treos, probably none on windows ce apps either, and no need for it here - or at least no need to make it difficult to meet the requirements.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat