cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes, Sprint Instinct is capable of being Phone as Modem (PAM)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, Sprint Instinct is capable of being Phone as Modem (PAM)

Yes, Sprint Instinct is capable (technically) of being Phone as Modem (PAM)! However, this option is currently disabled in the firmware. Here are the details:

http://instinctbookmarks.blogspot.com/2008/07/does-sprint-instinct-support-phone-as.html

Message Edited by jsmith on 07-16-2008 07:47 AM

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Journeyman

In the near future, PAM for limited use would be a great...

In the near future, PAM for limited use would be a great function to have on the Instinct. At $99/mo, the internet through a laptop should be accessible at limited speeds, an additional $15/mo for faster speeds... This should be an A priority for the additonal revenue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

well lets see here u might not can use your phone has mod...

well lets see here u might not can use your phone has modem but i got mine 2 work and sprint called me and sais some stuff 2 me told them to *bleep* off hahaha should have made that firmware a little better

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: well lets see here u might not can use your phone has mod...

Huh?

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Yes, Sprint Instinct is capable of being Phone as Modem (PAM)

JSmith - thanks for all the great info!

But, could you please provide a direct permalink to your blog posts in the future?  Like:

http://instinctbookmarks.blogspot.com/2008/07/does-sprint-instinct-support-phone-as.html

I had to search for PAM in your blog just to find the post. 

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

@wengla02 wrote:

JSmith - thanks for all the great info!

But, could you please provide a direct permalink to your blog posts in the future? Like:

I had to search for PAM in your blog just to find the post.

Yes. Done.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well that is just shady by Sprint.

Hopefully, there is some gain to get from this.....like maybe stringing out the new shock awe of the Instinct by adding phone as modem after the buzz has died a little.

Would be nice if the article, or sections of the article would be posted (as I have mentioned in many many threads before, there are many people here browsing from work and cant click links)

Highlighted
Journeyman

@dav3 wrote:

Well that is just shady by Sprint.

Hopefully, there is some gain to get from this.....like maybe stringing out the new shock awe of the Instinct by adding phone as modem after the buzz has died a little.

Would be nice if the article, or sections of the article would be posted (as I have mentioned in many many threads before, there are many people here browsing from work and cant click links)

I dunno, Sprint may have made mistakes (some pretty major) with this phone, but I can understand where they are coming from on that. They may want to "work their way" into some services. Offering TV, etc over their network is going to take some pretty major bandwidth. I can see a decision being made to limit it somewhat so they aren't opening the floodgates all at once.

It may be that once service ramps up, they can see how well their backbones and access points are holding up and start adding services then.

It's easy to sit back and pick off certain items, but they couldn't effectively estimate the appeal of the device nor certain high-bandwidth functions. It's the curse of any new offering...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did the hack to use the phone as a modem and now after...

I did the hack to use the phone as a modem and now after the update it wont work is there any help for this??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I did the hack to use the phone as a modem and now after...

... And we continue to shoot ourselves on our feet! This site is run by Sprint. Yeah, let's tell exactly how we do it so that Sprint has a way of disabling any future use of PAM.

Highlighted
Journeyman

iIhear ya but I dont know what else to do

iIhear ya but I dont know what else to do

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iIhear ya but I dont know what else to do

In all honesty, I'll have to say that phone as a modem was a deal breaker for me when it came to deciding between the iPhone and the Instinct. I was gladly surprised to see the Instinct having that "hidden feature" though I seldom use it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat