cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Apps are Coming!

Journeyman

Your Apps are Coming!

Your apps are coming for MR-6 (June).

I can verify that I'm working on some apps but this post is more about an idea related to the apps. Seeing as the apps will be online around June (dev & testing right now and waiting for MR-6) I'm looking to get services in place to distribute applications as well as maintain user created information. Sprint has said that users are going to be responsible for finding ways to distribute their own apps, and this is going to be my way. I'm looking for someone who's willing to fund hosting(I don't anticipate this being of much cost, depending on how much interest there is in the community) but I don't really expect anyone to spend any money on my ideas, so I will probably do it myself. Really I'm just trying to keep people interested as I see a string of negativity lately. A large portion of my plan is going to focus on user input to drive the apps and services that will be provided, so I'm hoping some of you guys and gals will get excited as well as interested and consider participating in my idea.

A large part of what has made iphone apps so succesful is that many of them are driven on user input and my idea is to create a community founded on this principle, as well as giving independant developers the tools they need to distribute and maintain their software. This is not instinct-software.com, I imagine this being quite a bit different from that.

If you have any interest at all in assisting in funding let me know and I'll be willing to give you some more information on my idea.

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: Your Apps are Coming!

How bout an app that lets us lock our screens when we are on the phone seeing as Sprint seems to have no interest in resolving this problem for us.

Journeyman

hey sprint, give this guy some money.

Journeyman

onemanrssn Thanks for the gesture! I hope more people on this board will show interest in the idea because the users of the instinct will be vital to it's success.

Journeyman

For those that don't know, there's a fairly good chunk of apps at instinct-software.com

(site's not mine and I have nothing on it, just trying to support the handfull of developers creating apps exclusively for our phones)

Journeyman

yes, myInstinctWasRight runs a tight ship, does a great job with the site and his own apps

Journeyman

Alright I get it, but maybe you guys could keep advertising for instinct-software.com ?

Like I said, I'm not talking about an experience like this. My idea is going to get everyone involved, well beyond developers only.

Journeyman

Not real sure what you're big idea is, but if you're looking for a way to distribute your app(s) then dropping a line to myinstinctwasright would be a good first step.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think if you review the history of that site you will find that most of the apps that are available and most of what's under development comes from user requests. That feedback comes from the "Suggestion Box" which is featured prominently on the site, and from the third-party apps section of instinct-samsung.com, where all of the developers are regulars.

Rather than reinvent the wheel as far as distribution goes, maybe you could contact the admin of that site and see if he is open to adding your "secret sauce".

Journeyman

I appreciate the gesture, but I'm not talking about something similar to user suggestions and downloads. I'm talking about a different distribution model all together. This includes gettings web services in place to process information for instincts in real time. So I'm not just talking about making apps, or just community involvement. I'm talking about elevating the types of apps that third party developers are able to create by making web services available to them, and all of it in a model that is generates enough revenue to be sustainable while not having to charge users for applications that should be free. If you get the general idea of what I'm talking about and think you're interested then I'd be happy to talk to you about integrating it into instinct-software however it would require a large overhall of the way that site works, so it wouldn't be nearly the same site it is now.

Third party developers benefit, the users benefit, and eventually it would be a sustainable project. It would create the ability for developers on the instinct to make apps that would normally require a lot of money to consider developing, and I think it would be a really sustainable model in the long term, but would require some investment in the short term.

Message Edited by FannyPackInstinct on 05-14-2009 05:38 PM

Journeyman

I'm going out of the country for a week and a half and I would just like to give a little update. Here's a screenshot of the metronome App to give you an idea of where we're going(very early right now). It will also have the ability to record audio, save it to the device, or to a web service(which I am in the process of setting up) and so much more including off beat emphasis and whatever a musician could imagine! All of it will be free(I don't intend to charge for any apps that I don't have to), which represents a big change from how other developers are doing it, but I intend to challenge them to work harder and make better quality apps if they intend to charge for them. And I am trying to focus on making a quality application that serves multiple purposes well. On the actual device the progam works really well. Seeing as how I won't be charging for it, I will release it as early as possible and push out updates as needed.

Much more to come when I get back from vaca!

I'll take feedback on this app as I've described it, but it will definately be changed before the final product.

Also, if anyone is interested in pairing up with me I will definately work with others on the condition that our apps be free whenever possible.

Journeyman

I know your going on vacation but I was looking for a calorie counter app. I hope one is on your list for the near future. Right now I carry my Touch around with me just to count my calories.

Thanks

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat