cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your praises on Instinct for a potential buyer.

Journeyman

Your praises on Instinct for a potential buyer.

Hello everyone. My T-mobile contract expires this month and I have been paying close attention to Sprint's Instinct. I knew for sure that Instinct was what I wanted even with thefear of leaving T-mobile's great customer service for that of Sprint's, which is uncharted for me. That is... until I came to this forum. It's good to know what current users are having problems with since if it was't for places like this, I will never be able toknowaboutit until I get it myself and plow my way through the first 30 days full of excitement.

With the T-mobile's announcement of HTC Dream (with Google Android) duefor release in the middle of October, I am torn in between moving over to Sprint for the Instinct or to stick it out with T-mobile and gamble with the very first release of the Android. If youguys can point to some positives about your experience with Instict, I'd appreciate it, as I seethis forum used mainly for issues and bugs about the phone which is totally understandable.

Sprint's GPS seems to be incredible feature of this phone, and since it is working properly now, let people like me hear some good things about this phone compared to other phones in its class.

Thanks, everyone.

Message Edited by velvin on 08-25-2008 05:05 PM
Message Edited by velvin on 08-25-2008 05:06 PM

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, as you pointed out, the Instinct has an excellent G...

Well, as you pointed out, the Instinct has an excellent GPS. It is, by far, the greatest feature of the phone. I love this feature and it is what really has me debating about on should I return the phone now or keep it and gamble on Samsung standing by the phone and improving it. Also, I like the visual voicemail feature. Everything else really leaves much to be desired.

Journeyman

Re: Well, as you pointed out, the Instinct has an excellent G...

can you expand on this visual voicemail feature? does it display for you voicemail info on screen and allow you to manage them without having to dial your voicemail box?

Journeyman

Re: Your praises on Instinct for a potential buyer.

Have had my phone less than a week, but I love the email functionality and the ease with which I could both set up my accounts (including my own personal email server from my website), and the ease with which I could type on the keyboard. I was afraid that I might have problems using the touchscreen (being disabled), and my local Sprint store didn't have one on display to play with because someone tried to steal it.

But so far this phone is far easier than my ic902, and much more fun. We'll see if the fun continues. I certainly hope so.

Patron

Check out this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsWtNePEvzA

Basically visual voicemail let's you play your voicemails right through the phone without having to "dial in" to your voicemail. As soon as you get voicemail, If you have the coller set up with a picture, the pic will be displayed too.

For me the better features on the phone are:

+GPS

+Texting. Some find it to be a pain, but I type REALLY fast on the virtual keboard. and I have BIG hands.

+Email setup was easy. I have yahoo, aol, hotmail, gmail and my work email setup.

+Removable battery. This one is HUGELY underrated. These phones these days do ALOT more than just talk time and standby. So you chew through juice faster. With a removable battery, you can keep a spare on you and if you get low...just swap.

+Decent MP3 player. w/ standard 3.5mm jack. No propriety crap.

+Can record video

-Web browser is trash. Actual 3g speeds are great. But the default instinct browser has piss poor rendering speeds. I get by with it though.

-No midp 2.0 compliance. Means not too many 3rd party apps (i.e. opera mini)

-No clue if sprint will be supporting the instinct in the long term

-UI not really customizable. Can't really change the button size/laybout/font. can't add a different background...etc.

But for 129, It's a solid phone. Just has so much untapped potential.

Journeyman

Wait for the java keyboard fix, then you will be able to utilize a real web browser. You will not be completely happy with the instinct until the browser is fixed. Hopefully, it will be soon. If not, then wait for another phone. If they do fix it, it will undoubtedly be the best phone out.

Journeyman

@CyberData4 wrote:

But for 129, It's a solid phone. Just has so much untapped potential.

I agree with what has been posted so far through CyberData4's post - especially this statement.

I'm sure the naysayers, trolls and whiners will show up soon, so you will see another side - at least of some of the people that post here I'm running out of cheese for these whines

I like the phone - glad I bought it - it does need some updates, but Sprint is working on those.

Message Edited by redeyes on 08-25-2008 05:51 PM

Journeyman

I have alittle dfferent view of things I likeabout the Instinct. All the things people said are really good about the phone are right, I do not like the GPS not because it does not work great but I dont like the fact that the goverment can violate my rights without my knowledge for no reason. GPS other then that is awesome. I really like the vibrating touch screen when you touch. I played with the iphone last week and it bothered me that it did not have this feature so much so I would not buy it. The only thing I want changed is more controll over favorites, and changing icons.

Journeyman

Very legitimate whining and the original poster should he...

Very legitimate whining and the original poster should hear them out. Blinding yourself to only the positive aspects of the Instinct may burn you in the long run.

Patron

Re: Very legitimate whining and the original poster should he...

@Greego wrote:
Very legitimate whining and the original poster should hear them out. Blinding yourself to only the positive aspects of the Instinct may burn you in the long run.

Journeyman

Re: Very legitimate whining and the original poster should he...

Good

Good GPS and decent touch screen for resistive touch screen (iPhone has capacitive touch screen). Decent camera/camcoder (for bright light, poor quality in low light), streaming TV and radio, picture messaging, weather app,

Bad

Browser is slow in rendering web pages to start with and page scrolling is a pain (nothing like iPhone's fluid touch scrolling). After you use the browser enough, it starts crashing on half the sites and I don't even use it. It doesn't allow third party browser like Opera Mini 4.1 to run because of missing java keyboard. Most people are hoping that java keyboard will be added but Opera Mini 4.1 also hangs on this phone so it might still not work. If that turns out to be the case, some people will be forced to sell this phone because without a reliable browser, the expensive data plan may not be worth it.

The phone freezes from time to time like otherwindows mobile phones(I heard even iPhone 3G freezes).

Journeyman

Thank you all for sharing your positive experiences. It sounds to me like Instinct does have many upsides that are not mentioned quite enough here. Even if it's just how it feels in one's hand and how the touchscreen feels and is responsive to one's touch. These factors cannot be ignored. And Yes, from studying this forum, I think I've covered just about all the problems with it as well. The upcoming HTC diamond equipped with Opera mini also seems like to be another solid choice. I know that Sprint TV feature has issues of its own with the video resolution and pixel issues but what does it actually broadcast? Is it like on-demand? or is it a single fixed channel with preset programming? and how many of you actually use it and watch it?

I appreciate everyone's input. I think I'm gonna go find myself a sprint store and actually play around with one.

I know that this is Instinct forum, but any thoughs on the HTC dream with Android you guys?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat