cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting music from my iMAC to my Instinct

Highlighted
Journeyman

getting music from my iMAC to my Instinct

Does anyone have any instructions on how to transfer music files from an iMac (iTunes library) to the Instinct? particularly songs that I have imported to the library from my own collection, not necessarily the purchases (if that makes a difference).

and does the music have to be in any particular format?

Thank you so much!

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: getting music from my iMAC to my Instinct

You won't be able to play DRM protected purchases from the itunes store, but as of recently you have the option to upgrade them for 30 cents each to non-drm versions. Mp3's or unprotected aac files will play - all you have to do is get them in the MUSIC folder on the phone's memory card. If your timing is just right hitting the side button on the phone as you connect the USB cable you may be able to get the phone recognized as a USB drive so you can drag things over. This is much faster (and always works...), though, if you pop the card out and get a USB 2.0 adapter for it. You can also pair the devices with bluetooth and use the mac's bluetooth browser to send the files, but that is very slow. As for finding the files, you can use any of itunes selection methods to get the song names on the screen and drag them off to the folder where you want them (which takes the underlying flle) or you can browse the itunes music directory and drag over the album folders. There is supposed to be an itunes plugin that lets it do a sync to a specified folder, but I haven't bothered with it yet. Some people have had problems with certain files that have foreign characters in the names or tags or cover art that is the wrong size. If it doesn't see all your files you may have to add a few at a time to identify the ones that cause trouble.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for your help. I don't have a card reader (yet) and the usb cord trick didn't work. The device appeared on the screen but then "ejected" itself immediately. I went ahead and tried the Bluetooth pairing. I successfully paired the phone and the mac..and I did a test with ONE song. took about 3 minutes. BUT now I can't find/access the song on the phone!!! Any ideas!?

Thanks again.

christine

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does the song show in the phone's MUSIC folder when you look with the mac bluetooth browser? If so, you may have picked one that the phone won't play. I have about 50% success at getting the timing of the voice command button right - so you might want to try that a few more times. However the usb adapter for the micro-sd card is enough faster to make it worthwhile, especially if you ever want to transfer video files.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi chrstene I'm sure this is long ago answered or forgotten, but I just wanted to share my experience. I'm a new Instinct owner, on a Mac. Tried to transfer files to the SD card, and also experienced the immediate ejection of the card icon after appearing on the desktop for a few seconds. I found that if I selected the group of files I wanted to copy and then inserted the USB cable to the phone and then *as soon as the icon appeared on the dektop* dragged the files to the proper folder on the SD card then the files would copy (fairly quickly) and all showed up on the card. Go figger

Good luck Scott

Highlighted
Journeyman

no, the music didn't show in the bluetooth file (took me a while to figure out HOW to look for it ! ). New to the Bluetooth arena as well. I will certainly try again with the voice command button. Thank you so much

Highlighted
Journeyman

No, my question is not forgotten or solved yet -so THANK YOU for your post ! I appreciate you sharing your experience and not holding onto all that precious information! I will be trying your technique tomorrow! Thank you again.

Christine

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you found the MUSIC folder with the Mac bluetooth browser, just put the files there - it will be very slow and you have to tell the phone to accept them, but it does work. USB access over the cable is faster if you can get it to stay connected, but USB via a card adapter is much, much faster.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OH, that makes sense. I had the folder on the screen! don't I feel stupid!!! Thank you. Like I said, that was the absolute first time I'd ever used the Bluetooth on the computer for ANYTHING! I always wondered what the heck I would use it for. 😉

Thanks again. and thank you for not discounting my stupid questions.

Christine

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did anyone else notice that after the MR5 update the instinct is now seen as a USB drive on a Mac without having to get the timing just right on the voice command button?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Which update is this? and where do I get it??

Highlighted
Master

@chrstene wrote:
Which update is this? and where do I get it??

MR-5

main>settings>general>update software

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat