cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keyboard fix!!!

Journeyman

keyboard fix!!!

has there been actually confirmation that the keyboard will be fixed to be able to use such third party apps as google maps, and opera mini, or is it all just speculation and wishful thinking? I reeeally prefer opera mini to the local web browser, and because traffic no longer works on the instinct, I need to use google maps rather than the local traffic maps. Can someone tell me if the keyboard fix is definite?

Tags (1)
16 REPLIES 16
Journeyman

Re: keyboard fix!!!

opera on instinct is awesome!!! totally kills iphone browser. i too would want a definite answer to this question. from what i have read on forums it is justspeculations/rumors. has sprint actually come out and issued a statement that the keyboard issue will be fixed?? so far nothing seems for sure

Patron

http://www.wirelessweek.com/article.aspx?id=161816

Read the whole article. Sprint is legally obligated to fix this to comply with Java standards.

Journeyman

they have stated they will fix it,but don't expect it until at least mid to late september. or even october.

Journeyman

The fix is confirmed it's not a rumor just no release date

@TonyBravo wrote:
they have stated they will fix it,but don't expect it until at least mid to late september. or even october.

I personally think it will be out early September might be wishful thinking but that's what I think, at the very least sometime in September it wouldn't take till October.

Message Edited by UnSTaBLE on 08-17-2008 06:51 PM

Master

I'm gonna toss another log on the fire for a moment. When the keyboard does get fixed and Opera does work on our phones. Will there be a way to remap the Web icon to launch Opera rather then the default browser?

I know we could probably put it under the Fav's section, but personally, I think a blank Fav's section looks nicer then when it's populated with choices.. I don't use it simply because it ruins the visual effect of the phone in my opinion.

Message Edited by smotrs on 08-18-2008 08:51 AM

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

@Drybonz wrote:

http://www.wirelessweek.com/article.aspx?id=161816

Read the whole article. Sprint is legally obligated to fix this to comply with Java standards.

Exactly, it's the whole 'Write once run anywhere' philosophy Java has.

"Java language allows programs to be written once and run on any device without changes. But because touchscreen phones do not have the typical physical buttons expected by the Java Mobile Information Device Profile, Sprint added proprietary Java extensions called the Instinct Widget Library for features such as text entry. The extension works, but for any programs using text entry features, it means Java software not customized for the Instinct will not run properly, while Java software written specifically for the Instinct wont work on any other device defeating the purpose of using Java. "

As such, the Java authorities can get involved and pull the compliance certificate from the Instinct. So it's in Sprint/Samsungs best interest to address this asap and work with SUN to come up with a resolution that works.

It's actually a very interesting article for anyone not familiar with Java, it's purpose and the hurdles the Instinct must now jump. Just ignore the last paragraph of the article.
Message Edited by smotrs on 08-18-2008 09:14 AM

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

@TonyBravo wrote:

Of 2009. You do realize that is September - October of 2009 (not 2008), right?

Journeyman

where did you hear 2009? According to that article, Java...

where did you hear 2009? According to that article, Java would step in and take action if Sprint doesn't fix the problem promptly.

Journeyman

From the article- which is dated July 31 2008 - not 2009

Sprint developer representative Nathan Smith replied in a discussion forum last week: We do have LCDUI slated for a future and again we did state that the timeframe is at least one month out. We cant share any more information than that. That will be an over-the-air update so customers phones will automatically work, he wrote.

And one month out of July 31 is just under two weeks away - the operative is "at least one month out" - can't really even start b!^%ing until then.

Message Edited by redeyes on 08-18-2008 11:49 AM

Journeyman

@redeyes wrote:

From the article- which is dated July 31 2008 - not 2009

Sprint developer representative Nathan Smith replied in a discussion forum last week: We do have LCDUI slated for a future and again we did state that the timeframe is at least one month out. We cant share any more information than that. That will be an over-the-air update so customers phones will automatically work, he wrote.

LOL. I think he was being sarcastic. Sarcasm sometimes doesn't work well through type.

Journeyman

@redeyes wrote:

And one month out of July 31 is just under two weeks away - the operative is "at least one month out" - can't really even start b!^%ing until then.

The wording "AT LEAST" means that Sprint can 100% GUARANTEE for sure and absolutely possitive, that they WILL NOT fix it before 1 month. This is a full pledge solid Iron-clad GUARANTEE as in written in stone.

Once the 1 month iron-clad GUARANTEE has lapsed, you can expect the fixed to be open ended, that is, no time-frame what so ever is to be expected for the fix.

Hope this helps you understand what the "At Least" wording means in the business world.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat