cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

navigation problems

Highlighted
Journeyman

navigation problems

ok i have had the instinct for just under a month and like the phone. the problem i am having i used it a couple of time coming home from work. 1 it will tell me i am on a different street that i am on a street or two away or further down the road that i am on 2 when going on a main freeway i was to be on it for 13 miles and as i drove the freeway it say's off course i looked down and it tells me i am in a different location maybe a couple hunderd feet away. or on a diffferent raod next to the freeway and tells me the directions to get back on the freeway. is this common or is there a update to help with this.

9 REPLIES 9
Wizard

Re: navigation problems

Navigation has pretty much worked flawlessly on my Instinct since I got it in July. The only time I had a problem was when missed my turn off and the the gps was slow to recalculate the new route. For about 15 seconds it showed that I was off course, but then came up with the correct location and route.

When I'm driving on the freeway, I've had great results, but even the response on surface streets has been equal to or better than my Tom Tom gps.

Journeyman

I have the same problem. I was driving from school to home and all of the sudden it will tell me I am on a different street, or it asks me to make a U turn to return to my previous location. This is pretty weird because i checked the map on the phone and it showed my correct location, but the pone would say something different. Like the screen shows correct loaction, the route is fine too, but the voice it's all nonsense. Have you check that?

Sprint Product Ambassador

One thing to check is to be sure the phone has a clear view of the southern sky.  The GPS satelites cannot always get through the roof of your car.  If the phone is on the passenger seat or your lap, it may not be getting a full GPS signal and will have a large location error.

I've found this to be true with the phone as well as GPS's - they require a good view of the sky to get the satelite signals.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

ok thanks i will try that

ok thanks i will try that

Journeyman

Get a windshield mount that holds the Instinct closer to the windshield. That should help. Also, remember that it sometimes takes a minute or so for the satellites (there are at least 3 from what I've read, so that they can triangulate your position) to get an initial lock on you when you start up GPS. Once you're locked, you should stay there unless something obstructs, like a car roof.

Journeyman

the gps system on the instinct is WORTHLESS. i cannot use...

the gps system on the instinct is WORTHLESS. i cannot use it because it continuosly tells me i am 1.) off track or 2.)on a street that i am no where nere or 3.) it sends me in tthe wrong direction then takes forever to recalculate a new position. there is no such thing as turn by turn direction with the instinct. it is better to pre-print info on google maps. nothing has helped the problem, not the telenav update (made it worse) not the opening of a sub roof. not the docking on the windshield. nothing. i hate the gps on this phone. it has never worked for me in the 4 months i have had the phone

Journeyman

Re: the gps system on the instinct is WORTHLESS. i cannot use...

I love the GPS. The only odd thing mine does is it thinks i am in the neighboring city when I am at home in my basement, and it almost always tell me my destination is on the wrong side of the street

Journeyman

Re: the gps system on the instinct is WORTHLESS. i cannot use...

Yep the nav rocks my favorite features on the phone. The only problem I have, is when driving around the downtown area Charlotte the directions always lag too much to be of any use.

Patron

I am assuming opening a sunroof / exposing moon roof will...

I am assuming opening a sunroof / exposing moon roof will help with a weak signal?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat