Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opera 4.2

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: opera 4.2

wow...

.... what is this feeling??... is this what "hope" feels like?? 😛

It looks and works well. I know too its only a "beta" but wow.... what a difference from the phone's built in browser. I mean even seeing COLOR (something other than death black and gray) is refreshing!

One more week guys!! Hopefully :-S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Been playing with Opera 4.2 now for a while... All I can say is Wow, what a difference! It's fast. It's polished. What's truly amazing is that when you hit the Instinct's "Back" button, the previous web page INSTANTLY appears. Truly hope the keyboard is working on this thing next week.

Message Edited by MarkBugs on 11-11-2008 11:05 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've never used Opera before. So I downloaded 4.2 Beta, and the keyboard workaround. It's taking me a minute or two to get used to it, but I like it. Granted there's somethings thatcan done betterwhen we get the keyboard fix. Hopefully next week. I've only had a chance to play around for few hours, but I'm liking what a seen so far. OkayI'm done, just wanted to add my2 cents

Highlighted
Journeyman

Setting up the keyboard hack is kind of a pain, but after that it works well enough. Of course, you can't log in to anything. Opera is like 100x faster at loading sites than the built-in browser. I hope the browser "development" team gets pulled to work on something else they are just wasting their time, IMO. The only other issue I have with Opera is that the menus are slow to respond and the click boxes are hard to check.

Cheers

Highlighted
Wizard

yeah, I agree with AmazinglySmooth. A pain to start up but way easy to navigate once you have the proper links. The best part is that you can actually view this forum on a mobile phone without wanting to pull your hair out.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Message Edited by mmark27 on 11-12-2008 04:46 PM
Message Edited by mmark27 on 11-12-2008 04:48 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since this is not my area of expertise. Questions? Can someonegoto Mobilespeedtest.com and do a speed test while using Opera. Let me know what kind of numbers you're receiving. And what do you think comparing both browsers?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Instinct browser: 645 kbps or something around that, download at 80 kbps

Opera: 4.02 Mbps, download at 514 kbps

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh ok, I didn't scroll to the bottom of the page that says opera is a proxy and it wouldn't tell you the true speed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@vickyvicious wrote:
Oh ok, I didn't scroll to the bottom of the page that says opera is a proxy and it wouldn't tell you the true speed.

Help me out. What the difference between a proxy and a not so proxy browser?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Say the web page you are viewing contains 2.3mb. When you request to view the page, you send that request to Opera, not the actual website. Opera loads the page on their server, compresses it, maybe down to 47kb, then sends that compressed page to your phone. Hence you are viewing the page by proxy, meaning Opera is showing you the page, not the actual website.

Because of that, speed benchmarks aren't an accurate test of your phones speed. The benchmark is actually measuring the speed of the Opera server.

Also, because you are not directly connected to the website, you are not secure. I think Opera may have implemented some security in Mini, but I still wouldn't trust it to log into my bank account.

Hope that make everything clear as mud.

Message Edited by sweet greggo on 11-13-2008 11:14 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

help!

I just downloaded opera mini 4.2 and it still crashes after the first time. What am i doing wrong?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat