cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung instinct required new data plan?

Journeyman

samsung instinct required new data plan?

My 2 years is up and I bought Samsung instinct to upgrade my old one. I Have 6 lines in my account with fair flex 800 family plan (basic plan). I want to activate my Samsung Instinct, but they required I have to upgrade my plan on this phone to data plan $69. dollars a month just for 1 phone. I ask customer service can I just add $15.00 data service to this line (just like data plan) a month . so I can turn on my samsung instinct phone, but they said they can't do this, I have to upgrade to new data plan???? I still don't know what is the different with I add $15.00 data service to the plan and go with new data plan. I want to keep my old plan because we don't use much, we used just for emergency and kid to school and save money. as least Sprint need to have an option for service with any phone already have data service to the plan. I been with Sprint for very long time, may be this time next I might have to go with another carrier with more option whenever my phone are up. Right now I can't activate my Samsung Instinct .

6 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: samsung instinct required new data plan?

I had the same thing happen to me when my daughter upgraded her phone to the Instinct.  There is absolutely no difference between the data plan being added to your line.  That was what I had in the past.  This only gives an excuse for hiking the price of the plan up.

Journeyman

Yet another reason Sprint is bleeding customers to tune of a million+ each quarter.

Master

Not to beat you up, But if you read the terms and conditions when you purchased the Instinct you would have known It would require a change of plans if you didn't have one of the SEP's. The same goes for the Pre. There is no way to activate it without one of those plans, The "system" won't allow it. The older data add on's are for those phone that have limited Internet connectivity as to where the Instinct and the Pre are data extensive phones. I don't agree with this policy, But there seems no way around it at this time.

Journeyman

I ordered samsung instinct online when it went on sale through Sprint and when my line was over 2 year and eligible for upgrade. They should tell me then when I ordered. Beside, couple months before that my daughter phone was available for upgrade, I go to Bestbuy, my daughter want Black berry curve ( it on sale) , they told me same thing have to upgrade to new data plan, I go to another Bestbuy Mobile devision, they upgrade my daughter Blackberry with the same plan I already have and don't have to buy new data plan? so I thinks they can do it, but someway they don't want to loose money, but they will loose more customer in the future. Most of People just like the way the phone attractive and want to have it but don't want to pay more for services actually don't need. They can sale more phones that way and can get more customer to them. Now economy are tough, they need to rethinking way to handle services

Highlighted
Master

http://www.nextel.com/en/stores/instinct_plan_details.shtml

About plans for this phone

We're glad you're interested in this phone. Here's what you need to know:
Before you buy or upgrade
To take full advantage of this phone's expansive features, you'll need an innovative approach to service. That's why we're only offering this phone with our Data plans,* which include domestic voice, e-mail, texting, GPS navigation and more. *Includes Everything Plus™ Data plans.
If you're a current customer upgrading to this phone
After you receive your new phone, you can activate it online. If you don't already have a Data plan, you'll be required to change your current plan during the activation process. At that time, you can select the plan that's right for you.
Requires eligible upgrade (or new line activation) on select voice plans with included data.
A new two-year agreement is required for new lines of service.
**Monthly charges exclude taxes, Sprint Surcharges [incl. USF charge of up to 12.9% (varies quarterly), Administrative Charge (up to $1.99/line/mo.), Regulatory Charge ($0.20/line/mo.) & state/local fees by area]. Sprint Surcharges are not taxes or gov't-required charges and are subject to change. Sprint chooses to collect Washington State B&O Fee of 0.471% of your monthly billed charges to recover its costs. Details: Sprint.com/taxesandfees. May require up to a $36 activation fee/line, credit approval, deposit. Up to $200 early termination fee/line applies. Offer ends 9/5/09.
Data: Premium content/downloads (games, ringers, songs, certain channels, etc.) are add'l charge. Text to 3rd parties to participate in promotions or other may result in add'l charges. Music Premier includes select radio channels and access to $0.99 song downloads. TV Premier includes select channels. See sprint.com/tvguide and sprint.com/radio for channel information. Content and channel line-up subject to change. GPS Navigation includes Sprint Navigation on select phones or Telenav GPS Navigator on select phones. GPS reliability varies by environment. International services are not included. E-mail includes use of Sprint Mobile Email, Microsoft Direct Push technology via ActiveSync™, Versamail, IBM Lotus Notes Traveler® or BlackBerry® Internet Service (BIS).
Messaging: Includes text, picture and video for domestic messages sent or received. International messages are $0.20 sent or received. Text to 3rd parties to participate in promotions or other may result in add'l charges. SMS Voice messages may incur an additional data charge of $.03/KB.
Talk: Add'l Anytime Min.: Up to $0.45/min. Nights: Mon-Thurs. 7pm - 7am; Wknds: Fri. 7pm - Mon. 7am. Partial min. charged as full min. Mobile-to-Mobile: Applies to calls placed between Sprint & Nextel phones (not available while roaming).
Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes or (3) kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming.
Other Terms: Coverage not available everywhere. Nationwide Sprint Network reaches over 275 million people. The 3G Sprint Mobile Broadband Network (including roaming) reaches over 270 million people. Offers not available in all markets/retail locations or for all phones/networks. Pricing, offer terms, fees & features may vary for existing customers not eligible for upgrade. Other restrictions apply. See store or Sprint.com for details. © 2009 Sprint. © 2009 NFL Properties LLC. NASCAR ® and the NASCAR logo are registered trademarks of the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing.
Discounts: The Simply Everything plan is not combinable with any other discounts.

Plus when you choose to purchase the phone it did state these plans are the only plans to activate the Instinct on if you orderd it online;

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/SubmitPhone?phoneSKU=SPHM800ZKB&upgradeM...

Everything your phone, PDA or smartphone can do nationwide - unlimited text, surf, email, listen, watch, find and of course, talk - on one simple plan.

This plan includes

• Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
  • Unlimited Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones)
  • Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
  • Unlimited talk: Unlimited anytime minutes, nationwide long distance and no roaming charges
  • More about what's included in this plan

Anytime MinutesMonthly PriceAdditional Anytime Minutes
Unlimited$99.99Unlimited 

Everything you need for the whole family - unlimited text, surf, email, listen, watch, find and, of course, talk - on one simple plan.

This plan includes

• Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
  • Unlimited Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones)
  • Unlimited talk: Unlimited anytime minutes, nationwide long distance and no roaming charges
  • Lines 1-2 included. Lines 3-5 $89.99/mo./line
Anytime MinutesMonthly PriceAdditional Anytime MinutesLines
Unlimited$189.98Unlimited

Everything Data

Maximize your phone's potential with unlimited data, Direct Connect and messages.

This plan includes

• Talk: Unlimited mobile to mobile, night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges
450$69.9945¢/min 
900$89.9940¢/min 

Everything Data Family

Have fun with your phones —unlimited email, Web, TV, text and more.

This plan includes

• Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live and NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
  • Talk: Unlimited mobile to mobile, night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges
  • Lines 1-2 included. Lines 3-5 are $19.99/mo./line
  • Featured services for Nextel Direct Connect® capable phones: Direct Connect and Group Connect® $5/mo./line (Look for this on the Services page prior to checkout.)

Additional plan options:

Anytime MinutesMonthly PriceAdditional Anytime MinutesLines
1500$129.9940¢/min
3000$169.9925¢/min

Business Essentials with Messaging and Data

Give your employees the tools they need to succeed with 24/7 email access, unlimited texting to always stay connected and driving directions to every important meeting.

This plan includes

• Already have this plan? Give additional employees access to plan minutes for $55/mo./line. Call 866-866-7509 to order.
400$69.9940¢/min 
1000$89.9940¢/min 
1400$109.9940¢/min 
2000$129.9940¢/min 
3000$179.9940¢/min 
4000$229.9940¢/min 
Journeyman

This is a corporate policy to get people who have been with Sprint to HAVE TO UPGRADE.  My previous data plan did everything included in the Simply everything with my Centro.  All it did was increase my monthly bill from 150 to over 200 per month for the exact services.  Text, email, web, picture mail, voice. (the navigation is not worth 50 per month more) when you have google maps.

I've been with Sprint for many years and have seen them do this over and over.  I am ready for the customer service end to catch up!