cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when will they come out with another update?!? this phone needs major updating!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I'm with you on this one dclowd9901 the prior post from t...

Nothing is wrong with you asking for something to work as advertised, but sometimes unexpected things go wrong..life happens. Your comparisons are somewhat flawed. This phone is a new product. Not a "second generation" anything. It doesn't even run the same operating system. So in effect, the wheel has been reinvented. Your comparison to a car is somewhat flawed as well. Power windows and A/C are long established technologies which are not pushing any envelope. However, if you were to have gotten some of the early cars with such features many years ago, you would have expereinced issues and problems with them too. But you are right in saying that the browser should work and not crash so much. Then again, the browsers I've used on various computers still crash sometimes so I guess we'll never have a totally crash free browser, although I think we should be able to. I've had iPhones crash on me in the store also, so chalk it up to part of the expereince of using cutting edge products I guess. Living on the edge does come with a price.

Journeyman

The fact of the matter is, there is no pleasing everyone. There's always something wrong. There's always something that can be improved. And yet the flamers keep ranting on. Most likely these folks have never put together a real product. They just 'talk trash' and say what's wrong with whatever they're ranting about. In fact, I think they get a kick out of it. It makes them feel better to put something down as if they're better than it or too cool to 'jump on that wagon'. That ideaology is backwards. The mere fact that something is popular, it all the sudden becomes 'uncool'. It's a macho thing. A personal thing. An anti-conformity issue that they were never able to get over as a kid.

Here is the simple answer: ignore them. No one steals my joy. I don't need it.

Personally, I think negative comments are bad. Some would call them constructive, but I have a different definition of what a negative response means. First of all, negative comments are not constructive. Open ended questions are rarely helpful. Why did you do this? Why did you do that? This is lame.

This is in no way helpful. They don't propose a solution. And most times when solutions are given or ideas they are more aboutself-engrandizment, "look how smart I am..."

Others think something is bad just because 'they' can't use it. Fine. I'm down with that. Either tell me why or don't leave a comment. No reason to add to a stack of comments that isn't going to help anyone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

And it can be argued that they didn't need to reinvent the wheel. The framework for a touch phone (and even a year's worth of testing) were already in place for a touch-exclusive device. All Sprint and Samsung had to do was buy an iPhone, use it for a month or so, surf Apple's forums, and then make a better phone, based on what people wanted from the iPhone.

And time constraints are a non-issue. Anyone who hasn't purchased an iPhone at this point is holding out for other carriers (better carriers, like Sprint) to release their own version of a phone. If Samsung and Sprint teamed up to create a legitimate iPhone killer, and took the time they needed to make it just that, you can bet that buzz would usurp any sort of fanfare the iPhone would get. People would hold off on buying the iPhone until final word came back on the Instinct, and when it did, and it was mind-blowing, they'd ditch AT&T and iPhone altogether. Sprint, again, squandered this opportunity by releasing the phone before it was finished, and, thus, any word-of-mouth or product buzz it could've enjoyed is instead replaced by mediocre buzz and a lot of mixed review.

All the dissenters are saying is that it's time to demand more from our product makers. And I don't think anyone thinks that's too much to ask.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@dclowd9901 wrote:

@phonecat wrote:
I'm with you on this one dclowd9901 the prior post from the others sounds like people that have just accepted this phone in its current condistion... I say keep the heat on! We were marketed to that this phone (Instinct) was an iphone killer, Sprint places on its main website page " Instinct more for less iphone less for more" if this is the case why shouldn't one complain if they are not delivering? We are the ones who contributed to sales of this company and a recurring sale with a 2year contract. BOTTOM LINE, I WANT WHAT I PAY FOR!!!!!

Not really how I'd put it. I never believe in marketing, and never base my phone purchases on hype. Nor do I use excessive caps or exclamation points.

However, there is a certain degree of reliability we should expect out of the phone, and, again, there is no 1st gen excuse. This is not a first gen phone. This phone is the 2nd generation of touch phones. At the very least, we should be able to have a browser that doesn't crash our phone for no apparent reason. I mean, we're just talking about fundamental issues here. Nothing on this phone should be broken. Interface issues aside, every function on the phone should work without fail. It's not acceptable that a product that doesn't work is released.

Pointing to other products that don't work as an excuse isn't any better. What is wrong with the person who stands up for the product that doesn't deliver even the essential promises of a product. What if you bought a car from the dealership, and the A/C wasn't working? Or the power windows? Sure these aren't essential to the basic premise of the product, but no one would stand for these issues. So don't make excuses for the phone. Demand better.

In general, demand better.

The phone isn't 1st gen touch screen this I can agree with. However the UI "IS" first gen. Sprint had this UI built from the ground up specifically for the Instinct so it's obviously going to have problems. Even with that aside...look at the 2nd gen iphone it still isn't perfect or does everything people want it to. No phone is perfect and ever will be.

Nobody here is saying not to demand better...things would never get done of some type of complaining isn't done. However, there are better ways to complaining. But for those few that want this phone to "cook them breakfast" (figure of speech) get over it...won't happen.

On this topic..."when will they come out with another update?!? this phone needs major updating!!!" well how about you use the "search" and you'll probably come up with 20 different posts saying that a update is coming early August (possibly starting the 8th). Most of the answers to these questions have been answered already try searching first.

Message Edited by UnSTaBLE on 08-05-2008 11:58 AM
Message Edited by UnSTaBLE on 08-05-2008 11:59 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

I believe complaining is in order, the phone should reall...

I believe complaining is in order, the phone should really be an iphone killer, but its not, and it was promissed, keep quiet? wait until it resembles the iphone, in what, a couple of months, maybe a year, just because Ropme wasnt built in a day??? No, apple is not sitting down reading our posts, its probably working on iphone 3, the iphone 2 killer, as they said with thei ad....the ral iphone killer...iphone 3g. Remember......our long awaited upgrades, will only be an update for version 1...we will always be behind, specially if no one complaints and demands more. With the exception of the touch screen, my KRAZR did much more!...so i suggest tho those that are still in the 30 days trial period, to do and are not satisfied, do the same i am doing...return the phone, wait a little..(i have only 2 more months left) and either switch to iphone...or check the instinct again, and if it still sucks! theres not much to think about. And those whose period is already over...well, wait one more month adn switch.$ 200 is not much, knowiing that usually phones are more expensive than that and this time both instinct and iphone are cheap..so think of it as part of that payment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I believe complaining is in order, the phone should reall...

@asaraga wrote:
I believe complaining is in order, the phone should really be an iphone killer, but its not, and it was promissed, keep quiet?

This is what irritates me...Sprint never "promised" or said it was an iphone killer...If you look you will see that the phrase "iphone killer" was made by a reviewer. Furthermore the comparisons Sprint made to the iphone were about individual features that the iphone didn't have or weren't as good. They ONLY compared....Pricing/Send Video/Fast Internet/LiveTV/Remove Battery...They did not compare browser/calendar sync/etc which the iphone does.

Message Edited by UnSTaBLE on 08-05-2008 12:16 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

So they just high lighted the good points of the Instinct...

So they just high lighted the good points of the Instinct and mis lead people to think that the other functions were just as good if not better than the iphone. Good Marketing by Sprint I fell for it, dang...

Highlighted
Journeyman

This phone IS a first generation phone of it's kind from SAMSUNG. The iPhone wasn't built or software developed by Samsung, and therefore this is an entirely different phone with a whole new set of construction / developing rules from any of the other competitor's software or hardware. There is no predecessor in Sprint like this phone that is worthy of comparison, as this is truly the first phone of this type ever on the Sprint Network. Sure there are crackberrys and touch phones out there, but NONE of them use the very software that is on this phone or the same network that we now have on the Rev. A network with 3G. I believe that Sprint / Samsung are doing everything that they should do with regards to this phone, and I also believe that it is only a matter of time until all the whiners become lovers of the phone once the customization is there and the bugs are all worked out with the browser and such. This phone was developed to be a multimedia phone yes, but can you honestly expect everything to be perfect out of the box? not really no. If you felt this way then when you buy a new car you're telling me that it shouldn't have a single defect ever in the whole production line and the fact that they have to improve upon it and make upgrades is inexcusable? No. This phone is a very exceptional phone IMO and I think that once the updates have happened in August and things are all worked out with the browser that everyone is so pissed off about, we'll have a much more calm group of posters on these threads.

I get so sick of coming in here every day and seeing more and more complaints about the browser and how few bookmarks it accepts and etc. If you guys really hate this phone that much then do yourselves a favor and just return it for something you like better. Coming in here and complaining about how it works and demanding updates now or you're returning it isn't going to get any of us anywhere. Spring / Samsung are working on it and they will have the phone fixed and working beautifully in a short while and everyone can just be happy.

I hope that i'm not the only one that feels this way, but if you need to come into a forum designed to help others and discuss the problems calmly and ruin the atmosphere by being whiners and complain all the time then you likely won't ever be happy with the phone anyways. I would like to see more positive posts to the developers and to each other so that we can resolve the problems with Sprint, rather than cause more complaints every day and never get anything resolved.

Sorry for the rant... thanks for listening.

Highlighted
Patron

Phonecat is right. Listen, as much as the rest of you may...

Phonecat is right. Listen, as much as the rest of you may be content with the phone as it currently exists not all of us have to be. Let's make it a rule: if you don't like people complaining about the phone, simply stop responding. I mean is it that Hard?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think all things considered, what other phone are you g...

I think all things considered, what other phone are you going to get for 130, with these features....2.0mp camera, one of the best cellphone GPS systems, period, a touch screen phone easy to send picture mail, email is solid (for the most part), I would still take it over the Centro, or the ACE or something of that nature...I'm on board with everyone who says the browser isn't good, and calendar sync can be an issue. Be glad that someone cares, say your peice, if you agree with someone who has a problem with soemthing, agree and move on. A problem can be that customers are putting themselves in the wrong phone. If calendar sync and features like that are important to you, then you need a true, traditional PDA, something I still don't consider any version of the iphone. I dont' know, I know what I got its not perfect but the developers care and are trying to improve upon it and to have 2 updates within 45-60 days of release, thats awesome, i mean think about how long it took the mogul to get sprint TV or GPS (a year?). also, please if you dislike the phone that much return it, this forum is not retention, sorry, another option is to return the phone, go back to your old phone (should maintain your upgrade eligibility and see what the Diamond will offer, or go back to the Instinct. I'm sorry if my post seems to not have a direction, but I think I feel like half the people on here, and want to write a novel on it, my person opinion, phones pretty good, it is what it is, and I'm ok with what I have now (though not perfect) but excited that its only going to get better....

Highlighted
Journeyman

does anyone else find it kinda funny how everything about...

does anyone else find it kinda funny how everything about this phone is compared to the iphone, especially considering the fact that the iphone is more or less a 2nd to 3rd generation touch phone (granted, it maybe a 1st gen in america) and that apple itself has looked at other manufacturers devices and still managed to not make a perfect phone? tons of complaining going on about the phones shortcomings and how they expect it to be near perfect and blah blah blah, give me a break. yeah, they researched for a year or so, so what? companies have been building cars for decades and still not one car model is 100% perfect or near to it and people will still find things to complain about even with the ones that come close. video game companies use game testers and still games come out with bad camera angles and glitches. Nothing is going to meet all of your wants and needs right out of the box. well, nothing that requires programming anyways. i have my complaints about the phone too, and i hope those complaints get addressed over time with firmware updates (it takes a crap load of time to create updates for touch devices btw, more so than regular keypad models). so yeah, it's great to list your gripes about the phone and what issues you would like to see addressed, but to call it a piece of crap cause it doesn't do what you want it to do right out of the box... that's an issue of a different nature

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I believe complaining is in order, the phone should reall...

@asaraga wrote:
I believe complaining is in order, the phone should really be an iphone killer, but its not, and it was promissed, keep quiet? wait until it resembles the iphone, in what, a couple of months, maybe a year, just because Ropme wasnt built in a day??? No, apple is not sitting down reading our posts, its probably working on iphone 3, the iphone 2 killer, as they said with thei ad....the ral iphone killer...iphone 3g. Remember......our long awaited upgrades, will only be an update for version 1...we will always be behind, specially if no one complaints and demands more. With the exception of the touch screen, my KRAZR did much more!...so i suggest tho those that are still in the 30 days trial period, to do and are not satisfied, do the same i am doing...return the phone, wait a little..(i have only 2 more months left) and either switch to iphone...or check the instinct again, and if it still sucks! theres not much to think about. And those whose period is already over...well, wait one more month adn switch.$ 200 is not much, knowiing that usually phones are more expensive than that and this time both instinct and iphone are cheap..so think of it as part of that payment.

If you expect the iPhone to be perfect and solve all your needs, your in for a bitter disappointment. I suggest you read up on all the issues people have with that phone. Go read some Apple boards. You'll see tons of complaints, bugs and things that people wished worked differently or better with that phone too. When will people get it through their heads....there is no perfect phone, especially with touchscreen phones which are ALL in their infancy. Five and ten years from now we will have some amazing products. Right now, we're in the stone age folks.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat