cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you imagine how frustrating it is to get a call and not be able to answer it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can you imagine how frustrating it is to get a call and not be able to answer it?

I don't get many calls.  When I do, I like to be able to answer the phone.

FYI...This most commonly happens when I have a photo on the screen & get a call.

I try to press and hold "accept call" but it does not respond.

I can't believe there hasn't been a firmware update just to address this basic requirement.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Can you imagine how frustrating it is to get a call and not be able to answer it?

I agree this phone is the worst phone I have ever had!!!!  EVER!!! How do i get a new one without paying full price though?  The Intercept has caused nothing but headaches for me but the Sprint service seems good if I could use my phone the right way.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Can you imagine how frustrating it is to get a call and not be able to answer it?

Funny thing is, this has just started happening to me. I'll be in the home screen with the screen off. I'll get a call, and I'll hold the accept button but nothing happens. This has been happening very recently (past 3 days). Last night I didn't have a problem, but we'll see. Try rebooting?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes. this is my experience also.  The interecept is indeed an expensive piece of junk.  I bought the interecept on 9/25 and tried to take it back to theSprint Store in blue springs on NOV.2 when I finally reached my maximum pain & suffering threshold -1 week past the 30 days.  My 30 day opportunity to return it was expired so I was stuck with it!  I am a long time sprint customer but I will remember this experience in 2 years.

My solution: Have them reactivate my old Katana.  I have to be able to reliably take calls! The guy working the counter couldn't understand why I wanted to do that since I had paid $100 for the interecept.  How do you explain to someone that a phone that doesn't answer calls is not a phone?  under protest he reactivated my katana (no refund or exchange for another model- i'm just out the cash and 1 month into a 23 month contract).  The interecept is going back  into its box and the closet to trouble me no more.  I will remember this experience in 2 years;  unless someone from Sprint wants to review my account, answer this and let me go to a transform for a $50 upgrade.

-Gary in Blue Springs, Mo

Highlighted
Wizard

I assume you're talking about the "accept call" on the screen - is there a physical key/button you can use to answer the call?  I know this isn't ideal, but it may get you by.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, just to clearify, because there seems to be more detail in one posting then again, my question is this ...

When the phone doesnt 'respond' to answering a call, is the phone on the 'home screen' or is the phone in standby mode, where the screen is blank?

If the phone is in standby mode, where the screen is blank, then you have to PRESS AND HOLD the accept button. Try calling it from another phone, and when you press and hold the answer button, watch the stars light up on the screen. Its something like a 3 - 5 second press and hold to answer it. I like this feature, because when the phone is in standby mode and in my pocket or whatever, when it rings and I take it out to see who it is, I dont accidently hit the accept call button and then be stuck talking to someone that I dont really want to take to.

Also, something else to concider. The Intercept is not a HTC, it runs a 800mhz processor, not a 1Ghz processor, which means, the more widgets you have running and the more background programs you have running, the slower the phone is going to respond to different system actions. Remember, when you receive a call, it checks the phone book/contacts that you have, and trys to pull a contact image for them as well. If you have a LARGE contact list, it will slow down the process as well. I know some people have hundreds of facebook contacts, so take that into concideration when the phone is a little slow and not quite as responsive as you'd like it to be. Its a computer, it can only do so much before getting bogged down with un-necessary, slow running or useless programs that have been added to it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem. This phone is a piece of JUNK!! Sprint can't get it to work and they won't exchange it for anything else. I've been with Sprint about 12 years but after my current contract is up SEE YA!! I'm done. They know it's bad and they still won't exchange it!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Processor speed is no excuse to not be able to answer the phone. But you are right, the more background processes you have ACTIVELY running, the slower it may become. Just because you have an app in the background, does not mean it is running. I've noticed in the past few months that whenever data is being used, the entire phone slows down a bit. So, first find out if you have any applications that run in the background such as weatherbug and Lookout Security (this is the culprit in my case). Specifically with Lookout, it is always running and updating the phone's whereabouts on their servers. I as soon as I uninstalled this app, everything runs like the phone is new. Applications stopped crashing on me (contacts, Pandora, etc.) and I can answer phone calls again. Be wise, and look out for these types of apps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not being able to actually answer a call is only one of the issues. the Home and Back buttons work only occasionally. When the phone rings, when in standby mode, it rings a long time before I can actually see the screen to answer it. So it's unique to actually be able to answer a call when it comes in. More often than not, I'm having to call back and apologize that I couldn't answer in time.

I had the same issue as nepenthes8 - The Transform cane out 37 days after I bought mny phone, so I tried to buy up, and they said "no way. the only thing we will EVER be able to do is give you another Intercept." It has been diagnosed, hard reset, and I've been tempted to throw it against the wall more than once.

I just emailed Sprint customer support, asking them when there would be a firmware updatae, and would there be any chance at all that I could buy up to the Transform.I'm a 15+ year customer.  I'm not holding my breath.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've noticed that the physical answer button does answer calls a lot more of the time, but still, sometimes I will get dropped calls simply because they phone is too busy to register that I pressed the answer button.

Sometimes, if I have the phone in front of me, I'll notice when it lights up, and I assume I have a call. I press the answer button right away, and about thirty seconds later, I can hear the other end of the line. The phone doesn't even play the ringtone, that's how slow it is. Learning how to work around it is difficult and unexpected. It really pisses me off to be honest.

I'm implementing GINORP's suggestions on this thread http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/205690#205690 right now, hoping this will clear up some problems. I spent a helluva lot of money AND switched providers for this, so I'm going to try my best to make it work, darn it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, just to update my posting from a few months ago...here are some helpful tips for dealing with this phone:

1)  Check out alternate task killers.  I like "fastest task killer".  It shuts down more apps than the standard "advanced task killer".

2)  For running angry birds, use task killer before starting and then you have to start the game on the first level each time you boot up the game.  this is the only fix i've found to keep it from running slow.  After starting the first level, you can change to the higher levels through the menu, but in any case 3-1 still runs slow.  Rovio is supposedly working on an alternate version of the game for those of us with the weaker phones (like Intercept).

3)  It sounds like several people out there have rooted the Intercept, but there is some possibility of "bricking" the phone.  It's tempting, but i haven't go the cohoney's yet to try it.

4)  If you get a call and the soft keys don't respond, try holding down the hard key for 5 seconds...that seems to work.

5)  Turn off camera after use, or you'll have a greater frequency of troubles answering calls.

6)  Delete any apps that you don't really need.  Clear cache for those that you keep.  The memory for these apps is kept entirely on the phone, not on the SD card...like your hard drive on your PC, when it gets full, everything slows down.

7)  Lets hope we get the Android 2.2 (Froyo) ASAP!  It allows apps to be stored to the SD card.  Plus, my company requires 2.2 in order to sync email and calendar on android phones.

😎  I think this is the case on almost all cell phones, but there is a considerable delay in the voice transmission.  It's really irritating because you find yourself talking at the same time as the other person very frequently and then it seems like you're interrupting...you find yourself constantly apologizing for this.  The cell phone world needs to figure this out and fix it and consumer reports needs to highlight whatever company fixes it the best.  I hate talking on the cell phone because of this.

9)  If you're looking for a smart phone, keep looking until Sprint updates the Intercept to Android 2.2.

More later...responses and suggestions appreciated!  Keep it constructive.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat