cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does location service work on your Intercept?

Journeyman

Does location service work on your Intercept?

Does your non-GPS location services work?

Example, open Google.com and see if it can identify where you are. Or open a location aware app like Weather or Fandango and see if your location can be found through triangulation.

I have two Intercepts and neither can acquire location. All the settings are correct on the phones like 'Allow wireless/mobile location', 'share data with Google', etc.

GPS works fine and if I turn on Wi-Fi and connect to my access point, location works. It's just tower location (triangulation) that doesn't work for me.

Could you all check this and let me know!

Todd

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Does location service work on your Intercept?

I have been looking at whether the tower location function is working this morning and the past couple days. It does work for me but not consistently. It was able to get my exact location in google maps without Wi-Fi or GPS on. However it did not give the correct location for most of the morning. There appears to be a problem with the latest update to google maps that is causing it to force close which might be related to the tower location function problems.

It would be nice if this would work properly since the GPS uses a fair amount of battery and the tower location appears to be accurate enough when it works for most location based needs other then navigation.

Journeyman

I can't even use any apps that are location aware due to this

Google Buzz won't detect my location, Weather Channel app doesn't see where I am, Fandango doesn't list theaters, etc, etc.

Journeyman

The weather channel app never worked for me but the free weather bug app does. What does it give for your location in google maps?

Journeyman

It's strange. Google maps will always show the current accurate location using either GPS or network location. If I look at Google Latitude it will show the phone in a location where I recently was and still freshly updating at that location (like I lost the phone). As soon as I open Maps up the GPS updates Latitude correctly. As soon as the phone sleeps the location reverts back to the previous location!

I'll try the Weather Bug app out and see what it does. I know the following will not find my location:

Google.com webpage

Buzz webpage

Weather.com app

Fandango app

Todd

Journeyman

I think the google maps program is currently broken. After having it open the phone isn't as responsive. The app sometimes will force close. After having it open the about phone - battery use will show that google maps is using 97% of battery use. When you go to the app market and look at the current comments lots of people are complaining about the recent update causing problems on their phones and it is alot of different types of phones. I am guessing that this is causing other apps not to show the correct location since they probably pull info from google maps. Tonight I might uninstall the latest update and see if the phone is working better.

Journeyman

I take back what I said above.

If I disable GPS and open Google Maps, after a few seconds I get a message that says "Your location is tempoarly unavailable".

What I did find is that if enable the WiFi radio, network location services work. I'm not sure how this works since I am not joining any WiFi networks so I shouldn't have an IP address.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat