cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Fix for Intercept Froyo 2.2

Highlighted
Journeyman

GPS Fix for Intercept Froyo 2.2

My wife and I both have Intercepts that we got last August. Our GPS was working okay until we updated our Android to 2.2. (Froyo). Immediately after I updated each phone, we couldn't get a GPS signal. I make numerous calls to Sprint customer service/tech support and even took my phone in twice to a Sprint repair center.  Nobody from Sprint could fix the GPS.  Instead, they wanted to charge me $35 each to send me a new phone. Of course, I was livid and refused their "fix."

After reading about Samborski1825's post in the other discussion thread, I started to look up what he said and figured it was worth a try.  So for those of you who do not have GPS after you updated to 2.2, here's what I did on both of my phones to get GPS back.

WARNING: this will be hard reset of your phone and you will lose all of your data (phone contacts, text messages, applications). Data that was on my SD card (pictures, movies, apk files) was not deleted by the hard reset.

Backup any data you want to keep (good idea in general)

Call Sprint and ask for your phone's MSL number (6 digit code that you will need to reset it)

From your dial pad, enter ##786#

Here you will see the RTN menu. You can view your phone's data if you want (sort of interesting).

Hit Reset. It will ask for your MSL code. Enter it. Press ok.

The phone will reboot and do a hard reset to the manufacturer's original settings. This is different from "Factory data reset" that you do from the Privacy menu in Settings.

After the phone reboots, wait a bit for your phone to reload. It should reset everything back.  If you have a strong signal, the phone will go through its "Hands Free Activiation."  Follow the steps. After that is done, you can enable your GPS in Location/Settings. Open up Google Maps. Hit My Location and see if your GPS is back. Good luck.

I can't guarantee anything but I did this on both of my Intercepts today and both of them now have GPS. For those of you willing to try, let me know if this works for you.

By the way, has anyone had trouble with icons and widgets duplicating on top of each other (after the Froyo update)?

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Journeyman

Do you restart your phone nightly?

If you don't has your GPS been working well after several days of on time?

My wife and son's will work fine after a restart but after about 6 hours the gps will not lock on anymore unless you wait 15 minutes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ToddFelmly

I spent a day looking for a way into this menu you described, but I haven't managed to find a shortcode to get you in.

As for your other question about phone restart frequency and GPS:

I don't restart my phone except when I manage to drop it and the battery falls out, or when it spontaneously reboots itself.

My GPS will work fine for a few days, then need the Airplane Mode fix I mentioned before to get it to work again (it may work without airplane mode, as well, but haven't had to try it in a few days).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too had the GPS problem after upgrading to 2.2.

1. They suggested taking the battery in & out and restarting. No help there

2. Suggested a hard reset using the Privacy-Factory data reset. Loses all the apps and didn't help

3. The reset suggested here using RTN menu and the MSL number also causes apps to disappear. However, once the phone boots back up and you get signed into Google, all the contacts can be synched back as well as the calendar. The best part is that I got 8 satellites immediately even while indoors. It's not a hardware problem. It's in the software. I think the last type of reset removes 2.1 and its 2,2 upgrade and installs a finished 2.2 product thus eliminating the glitches.

Message was edited by: JDHUGHES63

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was so hoping that this would work but I can tell you that this reset did nothing to my wife's Intercept other than wipe it.

Sure after the reset the GPS locked on within 10 seconds. It did the same thing after a reboot.

But give it 24 hours of on/idle time and no more GPS. I waited about 10 minutes today for the GPS to find one bird and nothing.

My Evo right next to the Intercept locks on every time within 10 seconds.

Any other suggestions?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry. No more suggestions. Unless you only did the standard factory data reset on the phone and did  not do the one that requires an MSL number entered.

Mine still picking up 12 satellites at my house while sitting inside.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It was the reset requiring the MSL lock.

Strange how mine will work from a fresh start but fail after a day. My son's does the same thing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Original poster here. On rare occassions, my GPS will not connect. I normally put the phone into airplane mode for a for 10 seconds and then turn it back to regular mode. If that doesn't work, then I will power off and then on again. It always comes back after that.

However, I tend to leave my GPS off the majority of the time until I need it. Maybe the issue you have is because you are leaving the GPS on 24 hours as you said. If I leave the GPS on for a while, my phone gets too hot and my battery dies pretty quickly. You can get an app to make switching your GPS on and off easier. I use "Quick Settings" and it works great (for airplane mode too).

Highlighted
Journeyman

The GPS isn't actively on for 24 hours, I'm just saying that the power to the GPS is on while the phone is idle. The GPS doesn't fire up until something requests it.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If your GPS fires up when you click on Maps etc. then you probably have it checked in the settings menu under- settings - location & security - use GPS satellites. Not sure but this may be a stand-by mode which causes it to run in the background. That might explain why some have to power off & on or go in & out of airplane mode to restart it.

I uncheck the box unless I need it, Also saves battery.

This may or may not help. Sure wish the programer could jump on this site and give a clear explanation

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! GPS did not work since Dec. 17. Solved it tonight with your advice!  Since I called Sprint's customer service after their working hours I had to figure out how to find my MSL.  I got the instructions to do so here and it was very easy: http://www.samsunginterceptforum.com/samsung-intercept-how-to/how-to-get-your-own-msl/

Highlighted
Journeyman

@LEANGSPRINT, After a few months of dealing with sprint, both on the phone and in person, for the exact same problem after upgrading, I was still was without my GPS.  I followed your instructions and my GPS is working great!!!   THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Highlighted
Patron

Thanks so much for this!  I followed the steps and now GPS works perfectly.  Thank you!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat