cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No GPS after 2.2 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

No GPS after 2.2 update

I've seen others have the same issue (among other things) of the GPS not working after the 2.2 update. Figured I'd post here to see if anybody wants to chime in.

In addition, I lost a notepad app and had a couple lock ups and the battery indicator was incorrect for a while. The battery indicator seems to be working fine now.

I also don't know if this is an issue, but I used to have buttons for wifi, bluetooth, gps and ringer volume on the notifications pulldown screen. But after the update, they're gone. I don't know if this is a normal for froyo, but I used to use those buttons all the time.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: No GPS after 2.2 update

I have the same issue with mine and my wifes intercepts. The GPS can "somewhat" locate my area (I think it is the wireless location service), but i cant get a lock to initiate Google Navigation or Sprint Navigation. Both phones just blink and blink and blink some more. I also do not have the toggles at the top of the notification bar....thats a Froyo 2.2 thing though. I enjoy being able to move apps to the SD card to save space though. Samsung or Sprint, get my GPS to work again!

Journeyman

I've been having issues with the GPS since I first got my phone.  Does anyone have a way around it or to fix it?

Journeyman

Bump ->

Same problem here on both of our intercepts.  Anyone have any ideas what to do to fix this?

Journeyman

After downloading the 2.2 update I also recieved a no GPS message on my phone. When I tried to use the GPS it said that it was unable to locate the location and move to an open area. The ironic thing about it was that I was in an open field near a nature trail! I called Sprint customer service and they told me to take out the battery yada yada yada. It didnt resolve the problem. I then chatted with a Sprint representative online and was assured that the service was restarted on their side and should not have a problem. This didnt work. Then I went to a Sprint outlet store in the mall to see if they could look at the phone. They directed me to the Sprint repair center down the road for service. What they didnt tell me was that when I got down there that I would be charged $35 for them to look at the phone since I didnt have a service plan. I left very fustrated and called customer service. The representative directed me to go to another Sprint retail store would be able to look at it. They wipped the phone clean to factory reset and the GPS still did not work. The sprint representative then ordered a new phone. It was supposed to be overnighted the next day but the warehouse screwed up and I had to wait 2 days to get the phone. I went back to store to pick up the new phone. The phone was brand new and had the same look prior to the 2.2 update.

Journeyman

When I went to the Sprint store they told me it's a known Samsung issue and Samsung is planning on releasing a fix for it.  They just don't have any clue as to when the release is coming out.

Journeyman

The GPS on my Intercept is also not working. When is Samsung or Sprint going to provide a fix for this problem. I lost not only the ability to find addresses but also to use the "where is my car" app.

Journeyman

Add two more Samsung Intercept phones to "NO GPS after Android 2.2 update".  Additionally, the Sprint Navigation app that was added with the 2.2 push update from Sprint is inoperable (probably due to no location info coming from GPS feature).

Sprint online and phone technicians were unable to resolve after troubleshooting and referred me to a Sprint Repair facility...will advise forum after visit Jan 11, 2011.

Journeyman

I've had the GPS problem with 2 different Intercepts.  Phone #1 got the 2.2 update back in December, and the GPS stopped working.  I called customer service who said I'd need to get a new phone.  Phone #2 arrived a couple days later, got the 2.2 update about a week after I activated it, and guess what- GPS stopped working again.  Took #2 to a Sprint repair store and was told I needed another new phone.  #3 just arrived today, and I've gotten the message that there's an update ready to be installed.  To say the least, I'm very relunctant to do the install.

I saw on another thread that the 2.2 update was rereleased on 1/4.  Anybody have better luck with the new version?

Journeyman

I, too, am having the GPS problem since the froyo update. I called Sprint last week to see if they could fix it over the phone, but the data clear they suggested didn't work. I brought it in to be repaired, and they told me it probably just needed a factory reset. They did the reset, and said it worked, which was a lie because I brought it out to my car and it still could not pinpoint my location (even on a completely clear day). They ordered me a new phone, and I received it with 2.1. The new handset wasn't updated to froyo until last Friday (which I believe made it the new release of froyo). The GPS didn't work after the update. I did one factory reset after a day just to see if that would trigger it to work. It didn't help and I still am unable to use the GPS.

I would recommend NOT updating to froyo if you don't have to and if you want to use your GPS.

Journeyman

Hello all,

I had a GPS issue after the 1st update in December and mine and my wifes Intercepts would not lock on a GPS signal. They ordered new phones, we received them with 2.1. They released the new update and I said what the heck and went for it. My GPS would NOT lock on a signal again. I called tech support and what the guy did was instead of doing a factory reset through the phone menu he had me type a code into the dialer and basically reset the entire phone...."hard reset"? I guess. After that "hard reset", my phone had to be reactivated and after that my GPS would lock on. It wiped my phone which sucked, but I did regain use of my GPS. It is a bit more touchy and won't lock quickly when I am indoors, but near a window or outside it locks very quickly now. I would give tech support a call and have them "hard reset" your phone. Like I said, the guy had me punch in a code from the dialer like "##4876......" and then it took me to a new menu and we reset it from there.

Just another thing, my wife's phone got the update 2 days after mine and her GPS does not lock on. I just haven't felt like calling about it, but I will. I will post here if this "trick" works for her phone also. Maybe there is some hope for everyone with the GPS Froyo issue on the Intercept.

Hope this helps someone.

Good day

Journeyman

The 2.2 update killed my GPS, too, but I like the improvements in the interface, speed, and stability so much that I'm reluctant to go back to 2.1. Aside from the issue of reloading all the programs I've got on the phone. I hope they come up with something that actually works pretty soon!

The one thing I'm learning from threads like this is that you can count on tech support and the repair people in the stores to not know what's going on, and not know what to do. We just got my wife an LG Optimus S, and it's doing everything the Intercept should have done, out of the box. Speedy, too.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat