Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RECALL THE SAMSUNG INTERCEPT

Highlighted
Journeyman

RECALL THE SAMSUNG INTERCEPT

SAMSUNG AND SPRINT SHOULD RECALL THE INTERCEPT TO PROTECT THIER REPUTATION. THE INTERCEPT IS CLEARLY A PROBLEMATIC PHONE. I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH MINE. FREEZES, HANGS UP, SLOW, WONT RESPOND, INTERNET WONT WORK, ETC.,ETC., ETC. A SPRINT REP TOLD ME THAT THE INTERCEPT DIDNT HAVE ANY BAD REVIEWS WELL HE MUST NOT HAVE READ SPRINTS OWN WEB SITE. SPRINT SHOULD IN GOOD FAITH PULL THIS PHONE OUT OF ITS PHONE LIST AND REPLACE EXISITING CUST'S PHONES. MY INTERCEPT AND MANY OTHERS THAT I HAVE READ ABOUT IN REVIEWS ARE JUNK !

228 REPLIES 228
Highlighted
Journeyman

I got this phone a month ago, and from day one  I have had issues.  I in roaming all the time, I have no signal, and cant even access the internet.  Three times I have talked to Spring about these issues.  I was told I could go to any store and have it replaced.  It wasnt until I got to the third store (after the first two wouldnt replace it) that I was told I had to go to a corporate store.  The closest one is two hours away!  So after being a Nextel/Sprint customer for nearly 10 years, I am stuck with this crappy phone because I missed the "30 day return policy" by 6 DAYS!  Customer Service even agreed that the phone was terrible, but they still wouldnt do anything.  Seriously, come on.  You are ripping on your ownb product and know how awful this phone is, but you wont do anything...thanks for nothing!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm amazed at all the people who are so unhappy with their Intercepts. I guess I got lucky with mine.

This was my first touch screen, but once I got used to it, it was pretty OK except for the balky softkeys, which mysteriously cleared up with the Android 2.2 upgrade (I waited till the second release, not the flawed first, thank goodness!) It does pretty much everything I expect of a smartphone pretty well (including running YouTube videos more smoothly through the Sprint network than my computer does through my DSL connection), has good battery life with normal use, and even fully recovered from a recent quick dip in the sink after a night disassembled in a Tupperware container full of dry rice. I wish the processor was powerful enough to run Flash, but it is what it is...

My reception is equivalent to the Lotus I had before, and sound quality is fine. The tiny speaker is surprisingly strong, the camera is OK, especially with Android 2.2's improved controls, and my Bluetooth handsfree connects with no fuss.

Its only issues are: 1. after it's been on for several hours it sometimes stops refreshing my e-mails, but a quick reboot fixes that. 2. It connects to my MacBook by USB or Bluetooth fine, but not to my PCs; however, the SD card adapter that came with the phone solves that problem with minimal inconvenience.

I'm looking at the Evo when upgrade time comes up, even though we will probably NEVER have 4G service here in the Virgin Islands. One of my clients has one and it's a terrific phone, the closest thing I've seen to my daughter's iPhone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm confused.  Why are you replying to a post in a thread of people in favor of recalling a phone that isn't giving you problems?  Anyone would have to admit that it seems shady and manipulative.  I recommend you find a forum and post on recalling your DSL connection speeds.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, Ginorp -

I just felt we needed a little balance. I was not, in fact, the only one in this thread who had come to terms with their (as we say here in the Virgin Islands) 'sometime-ish' phone.

I would be curious to know more about those who have had the most trouble: did they upgrade to Android 2.2? And if so, did they do it in December or wait until the 'corrected' version? Did anyone purchase one with Android 2.2 pre-installed? If there are clear trends, that would help narrow down whether it's a software issue or hardware. I say this because several Intercept owners who upgraded in the second round reported performance improvements and increased satisfaction.

None of this is to denigrate the genuine frustration that has been expressed so forcefully by so many; just wanted to make the point that it's not universal, and even though the Sprint folks don't seem as forthcoming with help as many would hope, we the users can help them, and ourselves, by providing them with clear information on their phones' histories that could help Sprint (or should it be Google, or Samsung?) sort it all out.

My own experience has been that it's a nice phone for a starter smartphone, well designed, attractive and sturdy, and as an owner who's committed until October, I'd like to see the problem solved for all our sakes. Reading the forums from before I chose this phone through now has been VERY helpful.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is absolutely a software issue.  The kernel that is bundled with this device has clear issues as is evidenced in countless posts on this thread.  If you don't know, the kernel is the part of the operating system that shows the hardware of your device how to interact with the applications contained in the file system. 

Now don't get me wrong, the hardware for this device was pretty outdated from day 1 - but you can help it to perform better.

Downloading a launcher replacement app is the easiest way to do this.  I posted a QR code to the Zeam launcher back on page 1 of this thread, which is a good basic launcher that I've had great success using.  There are several different launchers you can choose from, just search "launcher" in the market & check it out - I can personally recommend Zeam, ADW, GO, & Launcher Pro.  This is sort of like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound, but these programs do make a noticable difference while using the Intercept. 

If you're a bit more tech savvy you can root the device & install a custom kernel which will make a HUGE difference.  There are custom kernels available for this device that squeeze every last bit of computing power out of it that is possible & make it seem like a totally different phone - which I think is what we were all hoping for when we bought our Intercepts...

Highlighted
Journeyman

SUCKIEST phone ever !!! and Sprint won't even help ..

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree, the Intercept is JUNK with a capital J!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The issue is actually split between hardware and software.

I've had four of these phones, and there is a difference between each one.

First one was on Android 2.1 when it shipped. You couldn't connect it to any computer to put your files on it, period.
I was able to isolate it down specifically to being a phone fault, and not a computer fault: It is not likely that of the 40 USB ports and 4 USB cables I've gone through (two supplied by Samsung, two of my own purchases) that ALL 40 USB ports I've connected to were bad. For those keeping track: 10 ports each on two machines, four ports each on another three machines, and six ports on one more machine.
I went through multiple operating systems -- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Ubuntu Linux 9.10, and Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS. Each of the operating systems had a similar response. The phone would see the computer, and ask you to mount the SD card for the OS. The moment you do this, it unmounts the card from Android, remounts the card BACK to Android instead of as a mass storage device, and promptly ignores the OS.
The Windows installs then report the USB device has malfunctioned.
The Ubuntu installs, once you probe hard enough, also report that the device is malfunctioning.
I swapped cables, restarted the phone, and consistently, this would happen.

I wanted to return it then, but their support group - Chadwick ATS - convinced me to try troubleshooting it some more, against that deep-seated urge in my head that says "Throw this piece of <redacted> at the wall, see if it sticks, and go back to your A900."

They couldn't get it to work, insisted that it should work, and blamed my personal hardware instead of the phone.

At that point, I was over the 30 day bail out period (lesson learned: PULL THE <redacted> CORD, GET THE <redacted> OUT if they hand you this phone!!).

I'm stuck with it. At least, Premier meant I should get out of it a year later at that time.

The phone stuttered and hung on simple things, like turning up or down the volume, answering the phone, or dialing the phone.
The average load I put on the phone at that time consisted of the Aldiko book reader, Touiteur (now Plume), and Foursquare.

When the first update to Froyo rolled several months later, it bricked the everloving mess out of the phone.

A simple trip to a Sprint store, the utterance of one word ("Bricked."), and handing over of my phone resulted in a swift exchange of the device -- I walked out with Android 2.1 on the replacement phone.

USB worked on this phone like a charm on any hardware I plugged it into, as long as I didn't turn on USB Debug.

Upgrading to Android 2.2 did improve performance on the hardware - it doesn't stutter as often, but it still does it.

That phone was smashed in an accident last month; The replacement sent on insurance ($100 for this thing on insurance? Shame.) had the problem of the first one.

That replacement and the first one had something in common:
On the ESN label, there is a date stamp right above the color. The ones that didn't work on basic USB had 09.xx there. The ones that WOULD let me mount them as USB devices had 10.xx there.

I called the insurance, told them of the defect, and convinced them to send me a replacement phone (again).

This replacement has the 10.xx stamp, and I can see it via USB (but not USB Debug).

Both of these replacements shipped to me with Android 2.2.

This one forgets its rotational direction after several days of running, and ignores its accelerometer. A restart fixes this, if it doesn't restart itself after that happens.

Result: A hardware revision for this phone can make a difference depending on the issue at hand (USB connectivity and errors). A software difference can improve performance slightly (Eclair to Froyo).

Of humor, I'm almost stuck with Sprint if I want a mobile device with a data plan and GPS (Email, Foursquare). VZ, ATT are non-options for me. If MetroPCS gets a non-Samsung Android phone, I'm jumping ship. They have 4G coverage in my area, and I hardly travel out of town. I just spend a lot of my day on the bus. I'd jump just for a cheaper plan -- spending $70 + fees/taxes a month on this Intercept is insulting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OHMYCUSS!!! I had the Intercept for 3 weeks, it was stolen, i waited for ASURION to send me a replacement....I waited 10 days...it replaced with another Intercept....i set it up sync, contacts, imap, etc....1 hour tops, then no PHONE SERVICE....after chatting with a lack luster tech for over 40 min....I was finally able to place a call...and in the middle of a 2 min conversation....the phone clicked and DIED....it was fully charged!!! WHAT THE CUSS!!! the replacement WILL NOT CHARGE AT ALL.....I give UP!!! I wish you luck...I pay entirely too....wait TOO MUCH money for this to happen. I do not appreciate being sent refurbished or less than satisfactory devices when I pay so much MONEY for my PLAN. I feel very disappointed in ASURION and in SPRINT. And oooh yeahhhhh I am a PREMIER customer....premiering tonight..the UNDERWHELMED experience Starring Yours Truly another dis-satisfied customer.

Good LUCK. I wish you the best richard crappel....ciao!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes YES indeed another dis-satisfied customer..I also feel the amount of cash I provide for the service I receive is not at ALL balanced. I could pull my son out of private school....but what good would that do? Knowing that perhaps my Sprint bill will NEEDLESSLY increase....i don't get it POOR service...poor equipment...A whole lot of money GONE!

Highlighted
Journeyman

THIS THE WORST PHONE I EVER HAD SERIOUSLY MY PHONE FREEZES ALL THE TIME MY PHONE RESET ITSELF ABOUT TWICE A DAY I HAD THREE PHONE IN ONE YEAR WITH SPRINT I WILL NOT COME BACK TO SPRINT AFTER MY CONTRACT ENDS I MITE BUY OUT BEFORE THAT I CANT WATCH VIDEOS AT ALL ON YOUTUBE MY PHONE APPS SOMETIMES WONT WORK I HATE SPRINT IN I HATETHIS PHONE ATT OR VERIZON HERE I COME IF SPRINT DONT OFFER ME A BETTER UPGRADE  I WILL LEAVE SOONER SAMSUNG INTERCEPT PEACE OF CRAP

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine too! I literally feel like smashing this phone..I've never had so many problems with a phone than I do with this Intercept. Ugh!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat