cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regretting my decision to become a Sprint user

Highlighted

I grew quite frustrated with Verizon's service after too many days of not being able to send/receive messages or phone calls and the fact that I would have to pay almost $60 more a month to get a "smart" phone and to have unlimited access the internet. After researching every other available cell phone service provider, I found Spint offered me the most for my family and our needs. I chose the Samsung Intercept as it was the only "smart" phone available in pink that had a slide out qwerty keyboard. I got my boyfriend the same one in silver. When we received them, we were on the phone with Sprint Customer "Service" for over an hour just to get them booted up. After that, everything seemed actually fine. Shortly after, my boyfriend's screen would do things on its own, ie he would be scrolling through his contacts and the phone would start scrolling on its own, selecting and actually dialing numbers from his list. I kind of laughed it off, as for most of the rest of the time, they were pretty good. A few months later, my phone came up with this automatic update. I kept saying no because I wasn't sure what it meant by "some information may be lost" and one morning I accidentally hit the "ok to upgrade" button. All turned out well, and I felt the phone was even better. (My boyfriend did not and still has not done the upgrade on his.) So, two-three months after this upgrade, my phone began acting VERY strange. It would get HOT, for NO reason. I mean almost to point of burning me if I opened up to take the battery out. There would be no applications running, the phone would be in my bag, in my desk, in my very cold office and it would be hot as though I'd been holding it in my hand out in the sun while running 10 things at once. Soon after that, it would freeze up and I'd have to reset it. After that happened a few times, during the reset it would get STUCK on the reboot screen and not turn on at all. Just a blinking "SAMSUNG" logo. I took it to the store and they did a total reboot on it and a ton of important information was lost. That happened two more times before they finally replaced it at my insistence. I had to go to Seattle and was travelling alone and NEEDED a reliable phone that would turn on when I needed it. The replacement was fine from there, I had no problems before, during, or after my trip.

Until this past weekend. My phone once again began getting hot on its own, and was suddenly showing that I had no signal. I turned it off/on and it was ok for a while. The next day I was back to no signal. I took the battery out for and all the other default things, was able to send one text message, and lost signal again and was out for two days. Curious, I checked all my settings and found it had somehow gone into Airplane Mode. (Mind you, I haven't used that mode since I flew to Seattle...back in June.) I tried turning it off from the Setting menu but it would only say "Enabling Wireless Connections..." and if I left that screen and came back it would be right back in Airplane Mode. I returned to work on Monday and called Sprint, where I described my problem and they told me to bring it in and they'll contact customer support for me. I hung up with the technician, checked my phone, and suddenly had signal. Until I got home last night. It went out again. After reading all the other posts about this problem, I tried turning my WiFi off and left the battery out all night. I turned it on this morning and all was well. Then it suddenly went out again. I took the battery out and once again have service. How long it'll last is anybody's guess. The other thing I read about is this AirRave thing...I don't even know what that is, but if that's the case now, why wouldn't I have had this specific problem with my first phone as well? All I know is I'm paying for a service that has not been reliable almost half the time yet if I want out I'll get penalized. I'd like to see Sprint penalized for crummy and unreliable service and from what I've read THE LACK OF SERVICE. Sorry, but if I provided customer service as well as Sprint reps do....I'd be fired.

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

im soooooo happy im not the only one having this issue!!! I'm on the phone RIGHT NOW with sprint as i type this calling for the 92428413rd time about the same issues as you, plus a few additional others. I'm already on my 2nd replacement and they are attempting to send me a 3rd.. of the same model. Now why in the world would i want to go through these same problems if I already see that #1 and #2 are doing the same things? beats me.

Journeyman

Re: Regretting my decision to become a Sprint user

I, too, am regretting switching from Verizon to Sprint a few years ago. At first everything was fine, but my husband has issues every week with his phone he has to keep going in for. Plus, all the price changes, terrible coverage and even worse customer service. We switched because of the employee discount through my job and it seemed like a pretty good deal for the family data plan (I guess you get what you pay for with customer service) but now Verizon also has the employee discount through my job. We will probably wait our contract out for another few months and switch back, I think it might be worth paying more through Verizon for better customer service.

Sprint Employee

Re: Regretting my decision to become a Sprint user

Hello kellsbells025, I'm sorry to hear of the trouble that you've had. largely an android phone will become unresponsive, heat up, show poor battery life (more so than normal for some models) if certain guidelines are not followed. normally we suggest removing any security or task killer software, then install a battery saver like juice defender, clear old sms/call log when you can. I usually turn off the SMS auto delete option in my phones. turn of unused feature when they are not needed, like wifi, bluetooth, and GPS, if you use pop or IMAP email accounts consider setting them to not auto check. I usually install app2sd by infolife to move available apps to the SD card, and to clear cache to regain freespace. if you follow all of these suggestions, and still have a problem we will refer you to a service center for a hardware test.

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat