Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Intercept Water Damage

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Intercept Water Damage

Hello everyone,

I am not finding any thread about a samsung intercept with water damage, and unfortunately for me, i've been dealing with it. So I will post my experiences.

I dropped my intercept in the toilet on Friday night/saturday morning (10/29-10/30/2010). I recovered it within 10-15 seconds of dropping it. I did not take out the battery for another 5-10 min, when I realized it was a smart idea to take it out. About 4-5 hrs later, I put the battery back in (DON'T DO THIS!!!) At start-up, the screen was disoriented, so I immediately took out the battery. I put the phone in rice for about 2 days, and that absorbed most of the moisture. On Tuesday (11/2), I took it apart so that I could completely dry it out. I used an electronics cleaner (with NO moisture, comes in a can and it releases air with no moisture.), a paper napkin, and I noticed that some of the parts inside the phone on the motherboard had some white residue. I cleaned it with alcohol, but it didn't remove it. As a final step, I used a vacuum cleaner to try and get the remaining moisture out. I read somewhere to connect the phone with the charger to see if it would work. It didn't turn on, so I was disappointed, and I decided to look for another samsung intercept as a replacement.

Finally, I ordered a new battery, since the old one had water damage (there is a white sticker on the top of it, it turned orange). I decided not to use the old battery since I read online that a water damaged battery could short the phone out. I put in a new battery today (thursday, 11/04).  Viola! It turned back on, but I did notice some differences: the phone seems to be a little bit faster, so it doesn't lag as much (i'm still trying to see if this is a good or bad thing...), the android tray retracts a bittle bit faster (i guess that goes under the lack of lagging on the phone now) and the battery gets warm pretty easily. For example, when I have a bunch of things running, it gets warm. Right now as it is charging, it got even warmer. But I do remember before it was dropped in water that it got warm when I charged it. HOPEFULLY it will last me some time (at least, say, 6-7 months) until I can swap it out with a new one.

If you've had water damage to your intercept, post your experiences so we know what to expect/do!

Message was edited by: mellyntiger

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Intercept Water Damage

If you opted into the insurance you can get it replaced with a refurbished one for $100. I've never had a phone work correctly (for long) after dropping it in water. That really stinks, too, because I fall in love with phones. Losing one before I'm in love with a different one is heartbreaking.

As for your issues with the Android tray.. I downloaded Launcher Pro on my phone from the Android market and it flies now. No issues. No more lag. No more unresponsive touch screen. And THAT is a blessing.

Hope this helps you some, although I think you've done just about all you can at this point.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I did not opt to get insurance (huge mistake!)

My phone has been working alright as of now (11/15/2010), but I am not getting my hopes too high up that'll it will last a long time. At first, I was worried the battery was getting really warm, but it only usually happens when I have an app up. For a bit, it used to have a lot of things running, but it's stopped as of now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello,

Thanks for your post! I dropped my Samsung Intercept into the toilet yesterday morning 1/12/2011 and I've blowdried it, let it set and It actually turned on when I took the battery out and plugged it up to the charger tried to reset it but the screen is gone black while the key board lights up as well as the top start end button. I did have insurance which I cancelled a week ago, which I am kicking myself in the face for.      But I will try to get another battery, and see what happens it looks like it dried out enough.            

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine decided it wanted to take a bath a few days ago.  I was filling up the tub while texting and lost my grip.  I got it out & let it dry for a couple days.  But the screen is all messed up.  And when I open the main screen I can't find any of my apps except for the ones that come with the phone.  My husband tried to help but I think he did more bad than good.  I have the insurance, but I was told that Sprint doesn't cover water damage.

Highlighted
Wizard

SHOHSTADT1 wrote:

Mine decided it wanted to take a bath a few days ago.  I was filling up the tub while texting and lost my grip.  I got it out & let it dry for a couple days.  But the screen is all messed up.  And when I open the main screen I can't find any of my apps except for the ones that come with the phone.  My husband tried to help but I think he did more bad than good.  I have the insurance, but I was told that Sprint doesn't cover water damage.

Sprint itself does not cover water damage; but if you have the insurance, that DOES cover water damage.  You will need to file a claim with Asurion, the insurance carrier, here: http://www.phoneclaim.com/sprint

From the insurance coverage certificate cover page information:

The Equipment Replacement Program covers the
replacement of equipment should your Sprint or
Nextel phone, smart device or Sprint Mobile Broadband
card be lost, stolen or have liquid or physical damage.

http://shop.sprint.com/assets/pdfs/en/services/service_repair/ERP_Coverage_Certificate.pdf

Highlighted
Journeyman

The screen is back to normal now.  But it's on safe mode.  So I can't access any apps I downloaded.  I tried a factory reset and it didn't change anything so now I've lost the apps that were on my screen that I could still access.  Any idea how I can turn safe mode off?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Intercept Water Damage - better way to dry out phone

When I got dumped in a spa with my phone, my first instinct was to blow dry it, but a quick Google search revealed what to do instead (the heat from blow drying can fry your electronics): RICE, the natural desiccant that you put in your salt shaker!

Take everything you can apart right away, including removing the battery and chip, hand dry what you can, then put it, with the battery cover off, the charging port open, the chip port open, the keyboard or flip open, and the battery and microchip themselves, in a ziploc bag or Tupperware container with a big bunch of dry rice overnight. Within 24 hours it should be dry enough to carefully dust off and reassemble. My sturdy little Lotus is still fine almost a year later.

And folks, we'd lose a lot fewer phones if we made a habit of closing the toilet lid...

One more hint (obvious but critical): if you drop it in SALT water (or soup or a bowl of punch), rinse it in FRESH water right away, before you do the drying out part.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat