cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific assurance from Sprint that Intercept will get Android 2.2 ?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Specific assurance from Sprint that Intercept will get Android 2.2 ?

Both customers and reviewers have been assuming that the Intercept will get Android 2.2, with at least some sources reporting that Sprint itself has promised so:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366188,00.asp

But as we all know, the best-advertised feature of Android 2.2 is Flash support, and we know that Flash will not run on processors prior to Cortex, and the Intercept (like the Moment) has a pre-Cortex processor:

http://androidandme.com/2010/06/news/will-your-android-phone-support-adobe-flash-10-1/

So the question is:  Can we absolutely, positively rely on Sprint to release Android 2.2 officially on the Intercept in a timely fashion?  Or will Sprint eventually say, "That model is obsolete, and you didn't want that upgrade anyway"?

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Journeyman

The silence in this thread is deafening.  Perhaps others agree with me that an official release of 2.2 for the Intercept is dubious at best?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Phone is less than 2 mo. old. obsolete?? Would not hold my breath. had an eris on verizon and it took them 5-6 months to push 2.1 after they said they where. I'm having some serious problems with phone. When are they going to put more memory in these things than my first rio mp3 player? I mean common should be at least 2-4 gig or let us use sd as install space. my opinion poor phone. prob going to trade mine in for a bb.

Message was edited by: hollywoodbell23

Highlighted
Journeyman

dont hold your breath is all im saying lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

Taking my intercept back tonight. Is bugier than an ant farm. guess ill get blackberry nothing else looks worth getting. will miss android and touch screen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint has gone out and said all Android 2.1 devices will get 2.2. Same thing happened with the Samsung Behold II. If you recall, it was promised 2.0 or 2.1 but never delivered. Threats of a lawsuit arose and Samsung had to make an update to Android 1.6 while customers still on contract were offered upgrades to the MyTouch Slide.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, Sprint has specifically said that the Moment and the Hero will never get 2.2:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/buzz-by-sprint/announcements/blog/2010/06/25/s...

---

Posted on Jun 25, 2010

HTC EVO 4G will receive the 2.2 update, Samsung Moment and HTC Hero will not.  Future devices launching with 2.1 also will be updated to 2.2

With the Android 2.2 upgrade, customers can expect improvements to include the following benefits: updates to user interface, improved EAS Support, improved browser performance, including Flash 10x Support, voice dialing over Bluetooth and application storage on external memory.

---

You see the contradiction here.  This post promises that the Intercept, as a "future device" (actually released on July 11), will indeed be updated to 2.2.  But this post then promises Flash support, which Adobe says the Intercept will never have because its processor is pre-Cortex.

Add in the fact that the Intercept is essentially just a brain-damaged Moment, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the Intercept will never actually see 2.2--not officially, anyway.  Or to put it more bluntly:  The Intercept was obsolete the day it left Sprint's door.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This should be raised and hopefully someone from Sprint is reading the forums. I definitely want my Android 2.2. I will install it either way (whether OTA or manually). I hope Sprint doesn't abandon its users/customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, they said ALL 2.1 devices will receive 2.2. And the intercept is a 2.1. So, yeah, it will get it. Or I am gonna raise hell anyways lol.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It better get the 2,2 update.  Im already pretty disappointed with this phone..  I plan on going deaf tomorrow by choice, how the FUCK am i supposed to know if i have a missed call or text if this phone doesnt have an LED to light up and notify me?  My old piece of shit FREE phone had that feature and this one doesnt????

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint has apparently answered the question affirmatively, according to this short PhoneNews article:

---

Sprint today confirmed to PhoneNews.com that the Samsung Intercept will be upgraded to Android 2.2, Froyo.

---

Highlighted
Journeyman

Last posting was a month ago. When will 2.2 be available for the Intercept??

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat