Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific assurance from Sprint that Intercept will get Android 2.2 ?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Specific assurance from Sprint that Intercept will get Android 2.2 ?

AMEN SISTA!!!!!!  (I wanna know what your son did to get his so early... hahaha!)

Highlighted
Journeyman

From what I understand Google is pushing this update so it's not happening to everyone at once.  I think someone said on another thread that it could be up to 4 days before you get it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has your phone upgraded? Mine has and I lost contacts

Highlighted
Journeyman

You have to remember that when you create a contact, make sure you create it ON GOOGLE, not the phone. If you create a Google contact it stays safe on their servers in the event that your phone gets a firmware update, gets lost, run over, etc. If you don't have the option to create a Google contact make sure you have signed up for a GMail account and associated on your phone.

Phone contacts are just that, on the phone. So you loose them if the above happens!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Two more of the four phones loaded over night and the other loaded about 10:00 AM.  All four are working well with no problems.  A great improvement over the old 2.1.  Many new features, and fast!!!!  I do suggest that you go through your applications and put them on the SD card.  The ones that they put on will automatically go to the SD card, if you downloaded an ap, you will have to transfer it to the SD card.  We had 1 or 2 that would not move over for some reason.  All in all a great improvement over the previous system.

Dale

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi ther  does this mean i lost all my contacts cause i saved them to the phone not google and not with the update i have lost alot of them

Highlighted
Journeyman

My niece was bitten by this same serious bug in Google Contact Sync.  If your phone has its own set of contacts--e.g., if a Sprint employee has transferred your contacts from your old phone to your new phone, by cable--and you then tell Android to synchronize with Google, Google Contact Sync will silently destroy your phone's own phonebook in order to load whatever you have on Google (probably only email addresses, no phone numbers).

I am amazed that in Android 2.2, Google has still not fixed this very serious bug.  As most of us remember, Microsoft ActiveSync did not have such a bug--it would either ask the user what he wanted to keep, or (in the worst case) warn him that if he continues he will lose the contacts on his phone.  Google Contact Sync, in contrast, destroys your entire phonebook silently.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Specific assurance from Sprint that Intercept will get Android 2.2 ? non-Google contacts workaround

There IS a way to convert your phone contacts to Google contacts. I have mentioned this elsewhere but will say it again. You need to do this BEFORE your first sync with your Google account.

My contacts were moved by the store from my Lotus to my Intercept as phone contacts, so of course would not sync with my new Google account. I learned elsewhere in the Sprint forums that I could export all my contacts to my SD card and then import them back into the phone as Google contacts. I wound up with some duplicates but LOST nothing, and everything then synced immediately. The only loss was the ability to set custom ringtones for individuals, except for those that show a linked contact to the original phone contact, in which case I could switch to the phone contact to find the option and set my ringtone.

Those of you who have not done the 2.2 upgrade yet, try this little trick if you have a 'mixed bag' of contacts.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I learned myself a long time ago if you start syncing with Google with your contacts you will have all sorts of problems.  We have a gmail account, but we only sync the email and the calendar.  No problems that way.

One other hint, just like on a computer or anything else, backup, backup, backup!  Once you get your contacts right, export them to the SD card through contacts on the phone.  Then make a copy of that file on your hard drive, or on a zip drive or something.  People always assume they are not going to loose anything, backup is the best insurance you can have and often!

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat