cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will 2.2 Help the Intercept?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will 2.2 Help the Intercept?

So this is my question... will 2.2 really help the Intercept?

I just posted a comment in another thread about the Intercept and about how it has the POTENTIAL to be a really, really good device. It's not going to process info like an Evo or Epic, and I understand that. I didn't pay $300 for my phone, so I don't expect it to be everything that a really, really expensive phone is.

BUT....

I've noticed why I install more than 3 apps on the phone it starts getting really buggy. Now, I'm not a techy person by any means but I am aware that apps downloaded from the Market aren't without fault, and that some of them can have unintentional "side-effects."  (I once downloaded an app that caused the proximity sensor to work BACKWARDS, and yet another that caused my internet connection to fail every time I hit the browser shortcut.) So, each and every time I download a free app from the Market, I monitor my phone for a few days for undesirables. Every time I have more than 3 apps simply installed (not necessarily running) the phone starts freezing, locking up, becoming unresponsive, and rebooting all on its own. For now, I've uninstalled all the apps except for the ones that Sprint and Google pre-loaded on my phone that I can't get rid of, and kept only LauncherPro and Advanced Task Killer. These two apps DO make my phone work better, but only if these are the ONLY two apps I have.

So, wouldn't this lead one to conclude that some (if not the majority) of the issues with this phone are because it's got very limited internal memory, and the pre-loaded apps take up most of this space?

Android 2.2 (Froyo) is supposed to give us the ability to save and run apps from the SD card, so that gives us a lot more room to work with, right? Can someone with some technical knowledge about these things shed some light on the lack of internal memory on the Intercept and whether or not 2.2 could potentially be a lifesaver and help improve this device? And does anyone out there agree that many of the issues being reported with this device just may be caused by the lack of internal storage/memory?

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Will 2.2 Help the Intercept?

I just had my first hands-on experience with the Intercept the other day because of the internal memory shortage.  The phone was not receiving text and voicemail messages and also had apps force closing.  Freeing up internal memory solved the problem.  Android 2.2's ability to store apps on the SD card will help free up internal memory.  Along with some performance enhancements, 2.2 should improve usability quite a bit.

Journeyman

when will 2.2 be ready for the intercept?

Journeyman

Unfortunately, I do not know when the 2.2 update will be available from Sprint.

Journeyman

Unofficial "Froyo" is like night and day for the Moment, I'd imagine the Intercept will be even better performing. My wife's 2.1 Intercept benches higher than a stock 2.1 Moment and they are supposedly very similar devices.

Journeyman

I see on the website that Sprint is now shipping the latest batch of Intercepts with Android 2.2 pre-installed. This is potentially hopeful news for those of us with 2.1.

If customers have not already been put off by the plethora of complaints in the forums, maybe there's someone out there who has purchased one, and can give us a review!

What Intercept with 2.1 users want to know:

Is it less sluggish?

Is it less buggy?

Does it do Flash?

Does storing apps on the SD card really help?

Do the balky buttons balk any less (actually this seems like a hardware, not a software issue)

Of course, if you didn't have one with 2.1 to begin with, it might be hard to draw direct comparisons, but at least give us your impressions!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat