cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data connections

Highlighted
Journeyman

data connections

so I decided to purchase the intercept after some research thinking it would be perfect for my first android phone and you know what I love it..except for the fact that I have to either power cycle my phone or reset my data profile atleast 3-5 times a day just to get a data connection.  I called tech support twice and they just reset the phone both times then finally said to take it to the store..so I did they said I had to many apps however i had 83 mb available.  I thought the whole point of the android phones were for the apps..so i deleted everything i installed and still had the same problems.  I took it back to the store where they were stumpted and decided to give me another phone giving me this line about 8% of phones are defective so I got my new phone and was on my way happy to have a phone that worked or so I thought because 2 hours later the phone was doing the same thing..I mean seriously is it just bad luck to have gotten 2 phones from the same store that don't work or am i doing something wrong because right now i have 130 mb available and have only downloaded 2 apps...please can someone help me before i go postal on sprint...thanks

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem my friend..

What color intercept did you get?

Here is the snip of my post..

SNIP -

Have gone through two Intercepts (pink) within the last 30 days..  Second one was just sent back for return..

It has the same Samsung radio's that like to drop the data connection...

Approx. 24 hours after a reboot of the phone you will start having problems with the data connection..

The phone has been in the same location with wonderful signal the whole time..

The only way to resolve the problem is to put it in airplane mode and take it out..  (basicly reset the radio)

Or do a reboot of the whole phone...

Texts and phone calls will still go through as it only seems to bother the Ev radio..

Have spend many hours with Sprint "tech support" trying to resolve the phone only to be told the phone has a problem and to exchange it..

Samsung says it is a Sprint network issue or I can send the phone in to them for repair..  I explained that it has happened exactly the same way on two seperate handsets, but that doesn't seem to register with the tech folks at Sprint or Samsung...

I really like the phone..  It's for my GF..  And she wanted to step in to Android without the "4g taxes"..  Moment has it's set of problems that can't be resolved..  Now this mess with the Intercept..   UGH!!!!

I've seen a few other posts around the net of people stating they have this problem as well..  Anyone else???

END SNIP -

Highlighted
Journeyman

the pink intercept and i'm so frustrated and annoyed because i'm being told that since im after my first 30 days I am not able to exchange it for any other phone even though this is my 2nd one that i have had only a week..thanks for telling me the airplane mode resets it also it makes it easier but still annoying...if the pink one is the one that is having the issues I guess im going to make my way to sprint for another exchange and request the other one if they will do that however I love the little phone its sylish and so cute and does everything I could want with one minor problem that I thought would be an easy fix but it has stumpted tech support and store personel and they look at my like im lying or something because of course its not having the problem when I walk in the store...Im not a rude or angry person and I work in customer service everyday but I'm about over this and the issues with it

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow..  I don't know why, but it seems that every person with this problem has the pink version..  I can't verify all of them, but most of the people complaining have purchased the phone for a female..  I assume most are probably pink fir the women...  On the other hand, most men are probably not buying this phone as there are other options out there..  Interesting...  Please let me know if you get a silver model and if you have the problem or not..  All of the demo phones at the stores are the silver model and they don't seem to have this problem and they have been on all day from the system info...

Highlighted
Journeyman

im going tomorrow i will most def give an update on the issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have two Intercepts, a pink one for my wife and the grey one for my son.

The pink one had some issues with the home key not registering and the entire OS slow and unresponsive. The grey one was snappy compared to the pink.

I did a factory reset and the problems I was having seemed to have gone away. The pink Intercept runs snappy and the keys all register. The data connections on both have not had issues.

The only problem I've been having with both Intercepts is that location aware apps will not locate on either phone. The apps just run and run until they time out. Google.com says my location is not available. The GPS is on as well as is 'check location with wifi/wireless networks'.

Has anyone had that issue?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Honestly, I can't say if the GPS problem was on the two I went through or not..  Never really got that deep in to it once the data issues started..  I seem to recall Google asking permission to have location services, but don't remember much else..

Also, I was wondering about the data issues..  This is a lower end Android phone..  Probably most peoples' first smartphone..  The line mine was going on had been a dumbphone (for lack of better words) and was wondering if that had anything to do with it..  Maybe a provisioning issue...

Todd...  Are you in a town or area with 4g?

How about you luvinlife?

It's sad that I even have to think about why the phone doesn't work correctly..  Someone, somewhere knows how to fix this..  But they just don't know the problem exists..

Highlighted
Journeyman

No 4G. I'm in NE Ohio.

Highlighted
Journeyman

no 4g either im in knoxville. tn

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Intercept uses rev-0 which is a type of 3g signal and 1x-cdma so 4g in your area will not matter.

You are all reporting data problems so I am assuming when trying to browse internet or something that needs to get data the phone will not send and receive. Is this using cell signal only or cell signal plus Wi-Fi? What reception levels does your phone say you have? What symbol is next to the reception bars on your phone?

I don't have any idea why the Sprint reps have been saying you have to many installed apps on your phone. The amount of installed apps should not affect the data connection.

Highlighted
Journeyman

At my location, there would be 75% of the bars lit while talking or using data...

When using data, the EV indicator would have the arrows lighting up in both directions..

When there was a problem the EV indicator would have a D below it..  (Samsung says this means no data connection on this phone, I believe it meant dormant connection on the Moment)

I've had the problem with a bone stock Intercept..  The second one they sent I didn't load any apps or put in any info..

I was even able to "make" the data connection fail at some points just by calling the phone, letting it go to voicemail and then leaving a voicemail..  It would attempt to get the voicemail and fail..  The data connection would be dead unless I rebooted or Airplane cycled the radio..  But other times it would just randomly fail.. At least once a day..  Wifi was never used during this time frame..

When it fails, you will get different errors for whatever application..  The market will tell you no connection, youtube will give another type of failure related to the data connection, and of course the browser just doesn't pull up a page and gives another type of connection related error..

Highlighted
Journeyman

luvinlyfe, have you called Samsung about the problem?  I did origionally, and they gave me some bs about it..  But I found out yesterday you can request their "level 3" support..  Guess they know more...  Anyhow, I couldn't talk to them because I physically didn't have the phone anymore..  They want your IMEI and you to have the phone in your hand to try some things..  I simply wanted to ask if they knew of the problem or if they were working on it..  I would wait a few months if they were going to fix it and get another Intercept..

Level 1 wouldn't transfer me because I didn't have the phone..

Samsung Cell Tech Support..

1-888-987-HELP(4357)  Option 1, 5, then 4...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat