cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data connections

Journeyman

Re: data connections

Todd, I was on the net and came across this..

GPS fix

1. Goto your dialer press *#1472365#
2. Click the setup button
3. Click Position Mode
4. Click Operating Mode
5. Set to MSAssisted.  It seems that Sprint added the options for aGps but by default it is off.
6. click back arrow once
7. Click Starting Mode
8. Set to Cold
9. Click Back arrow 4 times
10 Reboot
I do not have an intercept to try this on..  But thought I would pass it along..
Let me know if this helps..
Journeyman

I didn't mean to hijack this thread so this will be my last post about GPS here, I have another thread about this issue here:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/205100#205100

I did run across that same 'fix' last night. The phone is set for MSBased which when you search for those terms IS the proper setting. MSBased will use assisted tower location at first and then once the gps radio is locked will hand control to it. MSAssisted will only use tower location.

This is a VZW doc but I'm willing to be its the same:

What is MS-Assisted mode of operation?
In MS-Assisted mode, the network elements calculate the location of the device. This mode is suitable for one-shot fixes, wherein the location does not need to be updated frequently.
What is MS-Based mode of operation?
In MS-Based mode, the network provides the satellite information to the device, based on a rough estimate of where the device is located, and the device acquires the GPS signals from the satellites and calculates its location. After the initial fix, the device operates like an autonomous GPS receiver, until the satellite information must be refreshed, at which time the device goes back to the network to update the satellite information. MS-Based mode is appropriate for applications that require the device location to be updated rapidly, such as a navigation application.

Message was edited by: ToddFelmly

Journeyman

My wife's Intercept which is Pink BTW exhibited the data connection loss today. Opened the browser and nothing but an error message stating the connection had been lost. Going to airplane mode and back brought the connection back alive.

Hope Android 2.2 fixes all the glitches these phones seem to have!

Journeyman

so i did the factory reset last night my data connection so far has been ok but my home key and back buttons are not responding well and my os is slower so i dont know much more to do...when is the update coming out?

Journeyman

Todd, can't say I'm surprised the Intercept finally started goofing up for you...

LL, I did the factory reset on both phones..  It will be back in a few days..

Journeyman

well my data connection issues have returned even after doing the factory reset..does anyone know when the update is going to be available???

Journeyman

i have the grey or silver model...whichever you like to call it and i have had almost every problem possible with my phone and its been under 2 weeks.

i have gone in and called almost daily with battery issues and frequent dropped data connection.  my battery issues have been improved but thats it.  my phone will drop off completely anytime i turn on wifi and only comes back when i pull the battery out.  my phone randomly drops my data connection at least 2 times a day as well.  today i was told i need to update my location pretty much anytime i leave the neighborhood which seems extreme but not difficult.  well 5hrs after leaving the store i randomly lost all service until i removed the battery.  ironically i live 1 block from the sprint store so i was in the neighborhood they updated my phone to literally.

i obviously cant use wifi. my gps is hit and mostly miss and posting pics on facebook is a joke.  i got 3 up out of 13 today and when checking from the computer they never actually posted.

i keep trying to return it but they insist they fixed it.  i went in clear with what i wanted and also wasnt looking for a low budget price tag...although at first i was stoked about the price.  i was trying to upgrade from my previous device running android os 1.5 and am so disappointed. 

i dont want the evo and hate to admit i may go blackberry.  this is my 3rd device with android os and by far my worst.  my g1 is faster and more dependable so far and i havent used it in a year.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am also having this problem on my Intercept. It is the silver version and we just switched from Verizon at the beginning of August.

I have been cycling it through Airplane mode to make the fix also. Just like others have said, making and receiving phone calls and text messages work fine but anything requiring a data connection fails.

Typically, voice and SMS travel over the 1x network and EVDO is strictly for data, leading me to believe something is wrong with the EVDO radio. I am hoping it is not a hardware issue stemming from the excess heat this phone produces. My wife's EVO doesn't even approach the level of heat this device produces! I do seem to notice the data connection failure more after heavy usage or charging.

You all are right though, Sprint's "Advanced Technical Service" is an utter joke. The last rep I spoke with didn't even know what an Exchange server was and the only suggestion they offer is to take it to the store! Samsung really doesn't seem to care about this phone either, I received a form letter response to my e-mail suggesting I take it to Sprint for troubleshooting. Hard reboots, factory resets, update the PRL and Profile...yes, we get it.

It certainly would be nice if they could at least set up a "Report a Bug" form, similar to what Google has done for Android and have them routed to whatever department or contractor certifies these phones for use on the Sprint Network - someone with an actual computer science degree.

Hopefully Samsung doesn't forget the Intercept users for the Android 2.2 update now that their big boy Epic has been released.

Journeyman

I have the black/silver version and I have the same problem with my data connection as everyone else. I'm hoping a patch or something will eventually come out and fix the issue.

Journeyman

FWIW - This appears to be the same "Airplane mode bug" that other Samsung phones have.

One sure way to kill your data connection is to call your Intercept and leave a voicemail. I'm betting soon after you leave the voicemail your data connection will drop. It seems as if large amounts of data all at once will put the phone into Airplane mode even though the airplane is not displayed.

Do a search on Google for "Samsung airplane mode bug" for lots of reading.

Journeyman

data connections

I am having the same issue with my and it's the regular black Intercept.  I called support and they told me the same thing to take it to the store and have a tech look at it.  Which will then result to resetting and blah blah blah no fix.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat