10/22 - Samsung Moment Maintenance Release - DJ07

Samsung Moment Maintenance Release - DJ07

Fixes:
- 911 call restrictions after modem crash related to airplane mode and data

lockup
- Proximity sensor and screen lock enhancements

- Sprint Radio black screen

Update your software:
1. The update will automatically download to your phone over the air.
2. A System update screen will prompt you to 'Install now' or 'Install later'.
    If 'Install later' is selected, a reminder will be sent once or twice a day to

install the update
    If 'Install now' is selected, the phone will restart and install the software
3. Your phone will reboot again and the software update will be complete.

Important Notes:
- The new software version is:  S:M900.8.OS.xxxx (see below)
- The new build number is: Eclair:DJ07

- If upgrading OTA (over-the-air), the Baseband version and Build number will

not match.  (Menu > Settings > About phone).  Below is an example

of what you will see if you upgraded to DJ07 OTA and you were previously

on version DI06:

Baseband version - S:M900.8.OS.DI06

Build number - ECLAIR. DJ07
- This update will be available through computer download on 11/3. The

computer download will be available via sprint.com downloads and can

be accessed at:

http://shop.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/samsung_moment.shtml

Message was edited by: dshoem01

[updated download availability date - red font]

[updated fixes included - red font]

106 REPLIES 106
Highlighted
Journeyman

Getting back to the topic of the update itself, I received it OTA last night at about 11pm. A message popped up on the phone to tell me that an update was ready to install. I selected the install option and away it went. No problems at all. It turned off and on, updated, then rebooted again. So far I've seen not after effects from the update.

Highlighted
Wizard

lukecadet7 wrote:

If there was no issue with 911 and the FCC why would Sprint/Samsung release a fix that specifically mentions 911? ...

If there were no issue with the proximity sensor and the FCC why would Sprint/Samsung release a fix that specifically mentions proximity sensor?

If there were no issue with the screen lock and the FCC why would Sprint/Samsung release a fix that specifically mentions screen lock?

Get the point?

As I said, there is not necessarily an issue with the FCC and the inability to contact 911 on system lock-up.  There may be; but I have not found an FCC regulation on point, and as yet no one has pointed one out.  Samsung is free to fix a problem, and list it in the maintenance release notes, without hearing from a government agency regarding the problem.  It is possible that, although not yet being able to prevent the lock-up, they thought they had a patch that would allow 911 communications despite the lock-up.  That is more plausible in light of some reports that during the "lock-up", some phones will now appear to dial and ring a number but still not fully connect.

To answer your question, maybe because Samsung wanted to fix a problem with the phone?  Before you say, "They only fix things they are forced by the government to fix", what agency forced a fix for the proximity sensor and screen lock?

It is, of course, also possible that the FCC did get involved despite us not finding a regulation that would reasonably apply.  But if people just recently started filing complaints, then the FCC must have acted with uncharacteristic speed, since this patch was apparently written October 7..

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just looked I filed with the FCC in early September.  I have past experience with complaints with the FCC.  They are the one government agency that gets things done quickly.  I couple years ago I filed a complaint with my apartment complex and their unreasonable rules regarding satellite dishes.  Within a week I had someone talking to me from the FCC and it was resolved within a month.  The apartment management company ended up having to refund extra security deposits to hundreds of tenants and change their rules for all 4000 of their managed units.  So I am pretty sure this patch has something to do with the people that were filing almost 2 months ago.

I guess the future will tell whether or not the FCC is adding pressure to get this resolved.  I believe the FCC could also order Samsung to recall the phones.

Highlighted
Wizard

Hi,

Let me try to see if I understand what's going on concerning the UAoD and the FCC.  I'm just summarizing how I read this forum.

In summary, Sprint has two options:

A. Decide UAD is a hardware issue, recall all devices and lose a bunch of money.

B. Decide UAD is a firmware issue, keep sending updates or be in violation of FCC, which says programming shall not block a 911 call.

Does that summary sound about right?

Highlighted
Journeyman

beliving wrote:

Hi,

Let me try to see if I understand what's going on concerning the UAoD and the FCC.  I'm just summarizing how I read this forum.

In summary, Sprint has two options:

A. Decide UAD is a hardware issue, recall all devices and lose a bunch of money.

B. Decide UAD is a firmware issue, keep sending updates or be in violation of FCC, which says programming shall not block a 911 call.

Does that summary sound about right?

Yeah u are pretty much right on. Except i believe  UAD should just be called data lockup, because data locks up with UAD, Airplane mode, x over signal and ev/1x disapearing and not coming back. Just so its not confusing all the above should be called data lockup.they are all the same problem when it comes to data and not being able to make or recieve calls even to 911

Also as a side note its diffenetly not a firmware thing cuz they have put out 4 releases that where said to fix the problem but they did not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

asbarrett1 wrote:

uninventiveheart wrote:

We got stung.  Deal with it and move on.

This is terrible advice.  "You got screwed over by your carrier and a phone manufacturer.  Just give up and do nothing."  No thanks.  I'm sorry your having no luck with this.  Maybe your doing it wrong.

I'm presenting an option people haven't really mentioned on here yet: The phone could be as cheap as 20-50 bucks for a feature phone, 50-100 for a smartphone.  Once it's received, you can trudge thorugh the remaining contract you have ($100 to keep using your Everything Data plan is the same cost as Asurion would charge if you lost your Moment) until you have a better option.  If you do upgrade with Sprint, keep the used phone as a backup device in case something goes wrong, in case someone you know wants a phone without buying one, or resell it again.

And I said "deal with it", not "give up".  You said that.  Answer the problem yourself instead of waiting for Sprint if it is eating at you that much.  If you want to check my account page and post history, I've been trying to fix this since August... it's now October.  Now if my advice is terrible for YOU to follow, fine, I'll own that.  But you do have one thing in common with me: data lockup is NOT MY FAULT.  "Maybe you're doing it wrong" is a little spiteful and contemptuous on your part.  Please attack the problem instead of other forum goers.

But all snark and sarcasm aside, honestly, how far have you gotten with this?  (From your one post, I have no idea what your experience has been; Share it, if you will.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think, given the nature of the situation, we might have better luck filing complaints with our states' Attorney General's Consumer Affairs department, rather than the F.C.C.   Whether it's a matter of FCC issue or not, it's clear we were sold a lemon with no hope of recourse.

Highlighted
Journeyman

To hell with this.

Message was edited by: uninventiveheart

Journeyman

I received confirmation of my FCC filing on Saturday, the day I received the OTA.  The update has to be in response to the multiple complaints the FCC has received.

Many of you are missing the point... Yes we bought a lemon, but the lemon violates FCC regulations.  When in data lock / Airplane mode, the user does not know the phone has basically been disabled.  When you go to make a call, you cannot without resetting or pulling the battery.  That is a 2-4 minute process.  Further more, if I bought a lemon (data lock is a hardware issue) then I want a refund in full, and a service credit for the time and aggravation this phone has caused to me and my family.

Is it asking to much to get what you pay for?  A phone that works when you need it to?

I know the Sprint line is that they are only a service provider.  But I purchased my phone from Sprint.  I want Sprint to stand up for us and if need be take the fight to Samsung.  Offer us new phones and appropriate service credits.  Charge Samsung for the issue.

And for those of you who think we are aggregating or making up this issue for new phones, you are correct in one regard: Yes, I want a phone that works at all times. and allows for the fulfillment of the service contract Sprint made with me.  I WANT A PHONE THAT WORKS.

As a FYI, we also have an HTC Hero in the family that has no issues like this, and we have no complaints over.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is a bit more stable but still problemmatic.  The battery life issue seems to be marginally better.  It has been keeping the pattern lock now.  It still sucks though.  I just had to reboot it because it refused to send (or so it says) a text, but after rebooting I found out that the recipient received it 5 times, but on my side it kept b**ching about not being able to send the text.  It is stupid crap like this that gets me very annoyed, not to mention data lock ups.  In addition to this, I was connected wirelessly to a local wireless router but for some reason, it had shut down both my wireless connection and the EVDO.

Just a few more months and all 5 of our phones will be contract free.  Then we will see how much Sprint wants to salvage this 10 year old relationship.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dear Sprint,

For to many reasons to go into…Your customer service sucks!

I have a Samsung Moment with problems..

I have had this phone replaced 4 times… & still the same problem. Samsung said that the problem is with the update… Your technicians said the problem is with the update…

Why do you keep pushing the update when it is corrupting the phone?

I have spent 40 plus hours trying to resolve this issue.

I pay my bill on time. I am not asking for anything for free… All I am asking for is for Sprint to replace this phone with a different phone. Sending the same phone and then corrupting it a few days later with your Over The Air Update is driving me insane!!!!!!

Your technicians say that once the phone is corrupted by the Over The Air Update there is nothing they can do to fix it.

So please replace my phone for the 5th time, but with a different phone please!!!!!!!!

My only recurs is to pay Sprint $175.00 to cancel my contract.. At this point I would be glad to but I will always be angered and feel taken advantage of.….

Even at this point I am willing to except Sprint doing the right thing.

But I will no longer drive 1hour past 6 sprint stores to the only store in my area that will look at phones and authorize replacements.

I will no longer leave my phone for 1.5 hours with your technicians whom hands it back in worse condition than I left it… to only hear sorry the phone is corrupted by a 2 part update that only the first part takes and has made your phone Un repairable. I will not except you sending me the same phone and then getting an Over The Air Update and all the BS starts all over !!!!!!!!

Please Take Care of This!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

My wife's Moment received this update, restarted etc.  And then later that same day she got another notice that 'the update' was available to upgrade from 03 to 05 ?  I double-checked and she was already on the 07 rev so why was she being prompted for the older rev?

Anyone else have this problem?

It would be interesting to find out that they'd messed-up the rollout and people were actually getting downgraded to 05 rather than upgraded to 07.  It would also explain why people continue to have the 911 issue.  Or, maybe my situation was unique?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat