10/22 - Samsung Moment Maintenance Release - DJ07

Samsung Moment Maintenance Release - DJ07

Fixes:
- 911 call restrictions after modem crash related to airplane mode and data

lockup
- Proximity sensor and screen lock enhancements

- Sprint Radio black screen

Update your software:
1. The update will automatically download to your phone over the air.
2. A System update screen will prompt you to 'Install now' or 'Install later'.
    If 'Install later' is selected, a reminder will be sent once or twice a day to

install the update
    If 'Install now' is selected, the phone will restart and install the software
3. Your phone will reboot again and the software update will be complete.

Important Notes:
- The new software version is:  S:M900.8.OS.xxxx (see below)
- The new build number is: Eclair:DJ07

- If upgrading OTA (over-the-air), the Baseband version and Build number will

not match.  (Menu > Settings > About phone).  Below is an example

of what you will see if you upgraded to DJ07 OTA and you were previously

on version DI06:

Baseband version - S:M900.8.OS.DI06

Build number - ECLAIR. DJ07
- This update will be available through computer download on 11/3. The

computer download will be available via sprint.com downloads and can

be accessed at:

http://shop.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/samsung_moment.shtml

Message was edited by: dshoem01

[updated download availability date - red font]

[updated fixes included - red font]

106 REPLIES 106
Highlighted
Journeyman

Wasbakntyme,

You say that you have a Moment phone that does not suffer from the data lockup issue.  What I would like to know is what is different about yours then all the other moments I have personally seen that do have this issue.  Do you ever use Wifi?  Have you tried any of the tests posted on the internet that can replicate a data lockup?

If you would be so kind as to run the following test it would pinpoint if your phone is doing something different.

1. Start your Wifi modem but do not allow it to connect to any Wifi connections.

2. Launch Youtube and start watching any video that is at least 3 minutes long.  As soon as the video starts hit your Menu button and then select more.  Switch it to watch in HD. 

3. If the first video plays through to completion then please launch another video longer than 3 minutes and again switch it to watch in HD.

If the video stops playing then hit your Home button and observe the data connection arrows.  See if your getting both upload and download arrows.  Try making a test phone call to make sure it is working.

This has always caused a data lockup on the 12 Samsung moments I have physically tested. 

Once we know whether this causes yours to lockup we can then start looking at some of the other details on your phone and what might be different on it then the rest of the phones out there.

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizard

lukecadet7 wrote:

Wasbakntyme,

You say that you have a Moment phone that does not suffer from the data lockup issue.  What I would like to know is what is different about yours then all the other moments I have personally seen that do have this issue.  Do you ever use Wifi?  Have you tried any of the tests posted on the internet that can replicate a data lockup?

If you would be so kind as to run the following test it would pinpoint if your phone is doing something different.

1. Start your Wifi modem but do not allow it to connect to any Wifi connections.

2. Launch Youtube and start watching any video that is at least 3 minutes long.  As soon as the video starts hit your Menu button and then select more.  Switch it to watch in HD.

3. If the first video plays through to completion then please launch another video longer than 3 minutes and again switch it to watch in HD.

If the video stops playing then hit your Home button and observe the data connection arrows.  See if your getting both upload and download arrows.  Try making a test phone call to make sure it is working.

This has always caused a data lockup on the 12 Samsung moments I have physically tested.

Once we know whether this causes yours to lockup we can then start looking at some of the other details on your phone and what might be different on it then the rest of the phones out there.

Thanks

First, I have not used wifi on my Moment, because I have no need for it.  I avoid public wifi networks for security reasons, and at home I have computers.  Second, how smart is it to go through a procedure that others claim always locks their phone up, just to see if it locks mine up, and possibly triggers future lock-ups?  If you know what causes the problem, maybe it would be a smarter move for you to NOT follow that procedure on your next replacement phone.  Unless, of course, your goal is not to have a functioning phone, but to "prove" that the particular procedure still results in lock-ups.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wasbakntyme,

It is a little disingenuous to say you have a working phone when you don't use all it's functions.  Good luck with your phone.

Highlighted
Wizard

lukecadet7 wrote:

Wasbakntyme,

It is a little disingenuous to say you have a working phone when you don't use all it's functions.  Good luck with your phone.

Huh?  There isn't ONE possible capability of your phone that you do not use?  My phone works well for my needs, the way I use it, which is all I ask of it.  Do you believe that your car is not a "working car" if you have not tested it for maximum speed, maximum skid pad abilities. maximum braking, maximum towing capacity, whether every crumple zone behaves as designed, etc.?  At what point would you stop testing a crumple zone on replacement cars if the first 12 of your car replacements all had a particular zone that was softer than design specs?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wasbaktyme,

Your analogy does not in any way apply to this situation.  The test I described is just one of the many ways that cause this phone to stop working.  Many people have phones that just randomly have a data lockup and then miss important calls.  If your phone is working then good for you. 

These aren't the droids your looking for, move along...

Have a nice day.

Highlighted
Wizard

lukecadet7 wrote:

Wasbaktyme,

Your analogy does not in any way apply to this situation.  The test I described is just one of the many ways that cause this phone to stop working.  Many people have phones that just randomly have a data lockup and then miss important calls.  If your phone is working then good for you.

These aren't the droids your looking for, move along...

Have a nice day.

Yes, as you apparently now understand, my phone is working for me; so actually, this IS the Droid I am looking for.

Highlighted
Wizard

Folks,

Allow me to preface that this is my fifth Moment, and I understand what it's like to be frustrated.  My current Moment also exhibits the data lock up issue, but I mitigate it with proactive rebooting after turning off wifi.  Even after the OTA update to DJ07, I still have data lock ups.  However, flashing DJ07 appears to have made improvements.

I flashed my Moment with DJ07 last night (now the kernel and baseband versions match).  This morning, I turned off wifi and did not reboot.  Four hours later, my phone is still connected to the Sprint network!  So, perhaps they figured out a work around for the data lock up after all.

ps. As I was typing this, my phone just rebooted all by itself.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had 6 moments... gave up, let them move me to the Impact... that phone ALSO has this issue plus the haptic button's didn't work consistently, and data was SOOOO slow...

I was accused of being the problem, accused of doing things my phone wasn't supposed to do, was told that I effectively couldn't use any downloaded application... (apparently anything that uses adds to pay for it's self causes problems with this phone)...

I let myself be downgraded to the Hero... still has issues but works more consistently than the Moment... (I liked the Moment better, but the Hero doesn't lock up - though it doesn't support bluetooth properly either)

Another 9 months and I'm moving to a different carrier...  While you can file complaint after complaint, the best way to demonstrate your irritation with a carrier is with your $$$ and continued patronage.

Funny, I was told by the tech's at the local Sprint store that the problem I was experiencing was because I was using the Android OS in a manner not supported by Android... The Droid X I have for work doesn't exhibit any of these issues...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey guess what i ran across a interesting thing looking for a way to get sprint and sammy to acknowledge the problems with the moment and do a recall

#ifdef __KILL_PPPD_ON_MOD_RESET static int check_pppd(void)

{       

unsigned long flags;       

// FIXME       

// Temp code for instinctq bug in data reconnection after modem is reset       

// When the modem is reset, pppd doesn't close ttyCDMA nor does it clear       

// the exclusive flag. When this happens other apps can't reopen ttyCDMA     

// device. And if even if it did, data connection can't be re-established..       

// So for now, let's just kill pppd here for an easy fix...       

local_irq_save(flags);       

if(strcmp(current->comm, "pppd")==0) {               

pppd_pid = get_pid(task_pid(current));               

printk(__C "pppd pid=%d" C__, pid_vnr(task_pid(current))); //       

}         else {               

if(pppd_pid && pppd_reset_needed) {                       

int err;                       

struct pid *p_pid = pppd_pid;                       

pppd_pid = NULL;                       

pppd_reset_needed = 0;                       

err = kill_pid(p_pid, SIGTERM, 1);                       

printk(__C "Killing PPPD(%d) err=%d" C__, pid_vnr(p_pid), err);               

}         }       

local_irq_restore(flags);

} #endif

Highlighted
Patron

Supports my theory that Samsung just masked the problem from users by rebooting the radio.  It recovers the radio, but not in the most elegant manner, and certainly not quickly.  It appears that the problem still occurs, it's just that the phone eventually fixes itself.  Meanwhile, you still can't access the radio.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Samsung moment has issues... That solution was quietly pushed back at the end of July, first part of August...

I personally have no confidence in Samsung phones, and little confidence in Sprint's ability to choose to carry phones that are not flawed - at least Android phones.

Sprints methods of addressing customer issues related to this phone is inconsistent, demeaning, and inconsistent.

It was rather interesting to be basically told I could choose between the Flawed Samsung Moment, or the Flawed HTC Hero... (one has a radio lockup, the other has flawed Bluetooth...)... I was given the choice of an Instinct as well, but that phone has very slow Internet (google maps is a joke with that phone) And the haptic buttons have to be pressed 5-6 times to get the phone to respond... The hero was fine for a while because I didn't hav a bluetooth device, then I was given a bluetooth Kenwood stereo for my birthday... which doesn't sync with my phone... works fine with my work Droid-X phone on Froyo... but not the Hero.

As a result of the issues surrounding my experiences with the Samsung Moment, I intend to take my business elsewhere once my contract's finished.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I completely agree.  Both of our Moments "work" now but still experience lockup that usually corrects itself if enough time passes.  However, I am still not able to view You Tube videos (or other non-YT videos over 3G) in HQ mode; the phone just can't seem to handle the data stream for some reason.

Probably a good decision on Sprint/Samsung's part not to make problems even worse by upgrading this piece to 2.2; I think this phone used to work much better on Android 1.X.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat