10/22 - Samsung Moment Maintenance Release - DJ07

Samsung Moment Maintenance Release - DJ07

Fixes:
- 911 call restrictions after modem crash related to airplane mode and data

lockup
- Proximity sensor and screen lock enhancements

- Sprint Radio black screen

Update your software:
1. The update will automatically download to your phone over the air.
2. A System update screen will prompt you to 'Install now' or 'Install later'.
    If 'Install later' is selected, a reminder will be sent once or twice a day to

install the update
    If 'Install now' is selected, the phone will restart and install the software
3. Your phone will reboot again and the software update will be complete.

Important Notes:
- The new software version is:  S:M900.8.OS.xxxx (see below)
- The new build number is: Eclair:DJ07

- If upgrading OTA (over-the-air), the Baseband version and Build number will

not match.  (Menu > Settings > About phone).  Below is an example

of what you will see if you upgraded to DJ07 OTA and you were previously

on version DI06:

Baseband version - S:M900.8.OS.DI06

Build number - ECLAIR. DJ07
- This update will be available through computer download on 11/3. The

computer download will be available via sprint.com downloads and can

be accessed at:

http://shop.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/samsung_moment.shtml

Message was edited by: dshoem01

[updated download availability date - red font]

[updated fixes included - red font]

106 REPLIES 106
Highlighted
Journeyman

Another patch and yet another waste of time, bandwidth, development, money, patience, etc...

Hey Sprint/Samsung - When are you going to buy these effing things back?  This is clearly an unresolvable hardware issue !

Font size was edited by: racqueteer1

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post update data lockups persist.  What was this update supposed to accomplish besides taking up bandwidth?  I knew it wouldn't fix the  thing.  It's unfixable.  It's a lemon.  Sprint, you should let us trade UP for our inconvenience and for staying with you after this.

Highlighted
Wizard

dem3nted wrote:

Everyone should follow wasbakntyme's advice.

The ability to make 911 calls from a wireless phone is required by the FCC, wether or not the phone even has paid services. This is a law that went into effect on Februaury 13, 2000 (See: http://louise.hallikainen.org/FCC/FccRules/2010/22/921/). When a data lockup occurs any call (including 911) is impossible. ...

First, I don't recall giving any advice on this matter.  What I did was request anyone to give me a reference to an FCC regulation that requires a digital cell phone to be able to connect a 911 call, despite not being in viable communication with any cell phone tower.  You linked back to the same reg I posted earlier, which 1) only applies to analog or analog-capable phones and 2) requires that 911 calls not be subject to carrier restrictions such as subscription or roaming limitations.  That rule does not appear to apply to 1) a digital-only cell phone 2) at a time that it cannot process any call whatsoever.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The phone does not violate any FCC regulation (analog or digital). The only problem is its a POS. When the phone is in working order it can call 911 no problem. The data lockup doesn't allow it to make any calls period. The regulation is in place for emergency calls. If you have an old phone or one that isn't activated you can turn it on and make a 911 call anywhere. That is what the regulation is for. Trying to use this loop hole of sorts to get a new phone from Sprint or Samsung is indefensable. There are to many other real problems with this phone to do that. the data lock up itself is a bigger issue than any trumped up or false FCC violation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If that was the case Golfman why would Sprint release a update that specifically says it address 911 issues??? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why would they release updates that do absolutely nothing?    

Highlighted
Journeyman

Because it is Samsuck.  They may have actually fixed the display lock that they broke with the update last month.  Maybe the think that if they release an update and say it fixes the issue that it just might actually fool us all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think Samsung could make a better phone if they would pay attention to the consumer and would make just electronics like cell phones or T.V. not refrigerators and microwaves. And for Sprint to think they could honestly fix hardware with multiple sad and pathetic software upgrades is just plain ignorant.

Highlighted
Wizard

lukecadet7 wrote:

If that was the case Golfman why would Sprint release a update that specifically says it address 911 issues???

By that logic, the proximity sensor and screen lock must also violate FCC regulations.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wasbakytme,

If you look there is two separate issues that this update is supposed to address.  The first specifically says it is to address 911 call restrictions....

If there was no issue with 911 and the FCC why would Sprint/Samsung release a fix that specifically mentions 911?  I know myself and others filed complaints with the FCC over a month ago. 

The proximity sensor and screen lock are obviously a separate issue addressed in the update.  There is no logic that says they violate any FCC regulations. 

DJ07 Update:

Fixes:
- 911 call restrictions after modem crash related to airplane mode and data

lockup
- Proximity sensor and screen lock enhancements

Highlighted
Journeyman

The phone is discontinued.

They're not going to address Data Lockup.  The 'fix' has been pretty much accepted carte blanche (pluck the battery, reinsert and try again: throw your back cover away, you'll break it soon) and Sprint Associates (I've went to three different stores, two of which had repeat visits over the last two weeks) are basically telling customers to either deal with it or sidegrade to a refurbished Hero for a fee.  Asurion will not trade the device with any other Android device for replacement (I've been turned down twice.)  We've been complaining so much that Sprint employees aren't interested in dealing with us anymore.

The manufacturer warranty on the first adopters is about to expire on November 2010.  Samsung isn't going to do any further work on the device after that date since their "mature" products (Epic, Intercept, Transform) will be their focus.

We got stung.  Deal with it and move on.

While people will cry out "I'm paying the ETF and I'm going to _____", the truth is my credit sucks and for me it's Sprint and decent coverage at my house with no deposit, or get a prepaid and fingers crossed (Virgin uses Sprint's network, but most of their devices can't get a signal where I live for some reason.  Boost indicates right off the bat that my town is not covered.)  I've resolved to throw the device away (I'm not recycling it; no one should be stuck thinking about buying this 'recycled' device on eBay.) and buy a used feature phone on eBay and ride out your contract.  That's what I'm doing; next week, I'll be activating a used Palm.

I'm done with all of this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

uninventiveheart wrote:

We got stung.  Deal with it and move on.

This is terrible advice.  "You got screwed over by your carrier and a phone manufacturer.  Just give up and do nothing."  No thanks.  I'm sorry your having no luck with this.  Maybe your doing it wrong.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat