Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.1 Up date News f you did not SEE it

Highlighted
Journeyman

2.1 Up date News f you did not SEE it

Sprint Moves Closer to Delivering the Android 2.1 Update

Already announced for HTC Hero and Samsung Moment

Wireless carrier Sprint announced a while back that it planned on delivering a software update to its users of an HTC Hero of Samsung Moment, so as to offer them the possibility to enjoy the latest version of Google's operating system, namely Android 2.1, and it seems that Progress has been made in the matter. According to a recent post on the official Sprint forums (viaAndroidAndMe), the Android 2.1 update for the two phones is still on track, and it shouldn't be long before users will have the possibility to install it on their devices.

“A while back we announced ourplans to update our Android devices to 2.1 in the first half of 2010. I just wanted to follow up with a quick status. The 2.1 update is currently being tested and things are going very well so far. We’re still targeting the first half of 2010 and if things continue to go smoothly we should have the update well within that time frame. I’m sure there will be a lot of questions about procedures and more exact time-frames but for now I won’t be able to say much more. I just wanted you all to know that things are still on track,” the said post reads.

The mobile phone carrier already delivered a series of small firmware updates for the two devices, one of which came over the air, for Hero, and another one that was available only in repair centers, for the Moment, yet it seems that details on how it plans on delivering the Android 2.1 update for the handsets are still unknown for the time being.

Other devices from the carrier's network, including the Palm Pre or Pixi, have been receiving their firmware updates over the air, and there are great chances that Sprint will use this method with the Android phones too. However, it still remains to be seen when exactly the new software solution will become available for Sprint's users. Hopefully, it will not be delivered too close to the end of the first half, so that they can enjoy enhanced capabilities as soon as possible.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 2.1 Up date News f you did not SEE it

"....have been receiving their firmware updates over the air, and there are great chances that Sprint will use this method with the Android phones too."

Unfortunately this is not very likely.  I would like to set the expectation that delivering the next major release of software over the air is probably not going to happen.  If this changes, I will let you know.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Are there any details on what new features and additions we will see on our device?

Highlighted
Journeyman

The post they refernce as well as a lively discussion can be found here:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/26643?tstart=0

If you all want to join in.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well what i want to know is if the samsung moment is going to get multi-touch enabled in places like maps and browswer. Today the Nexus One, another android phone with a stock version of android now has it, which means The Samsung Moment Should be able to. Unless sprint wants to short change Moment owners.

Highlighted
Journeyman

check out my post in the Sprint Android 2.1 topic. I've uploaded pictures from the SDX Developer Forums showing the Samsung Moment running Android 2.1. They developers over there have it working without Sprint's assistance and are doing a great job.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/147951#147951

Highlighted
Journeyman

I left my thoughts on that form with some ideas i am willing to help out if that is what they still need.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just because the nexus has multitouch is no indication of the moment.. Multi touch has been native in android since 2.0 i believe.. it all depends on if the amoled panel that samsung used supports multiple simultaenous inputs... We wont know til we build it into the kernel and try it, but it is a little hard to recode the module when we have no idea what the drivers are doing

Highlighted
Journeyman

There's an app called PhoneMyPC that supports pinch zooming on the Moment.  The Moment has a projected capacitive touch screen like pretty much all other capacitive based devices (iPhone, Hero, Nexus One, etc).  The technology is plenty mature.  Samsung would be epic failures if they released a PCT based device that couldn't do multi-touch.

The support is there, it just seems like at this point, it has to be manually implemented into the particular app.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have learned to never ASSUME it actually has anything.. Just pointing out we have yet to confirm or deny.. I wroteup a length report on androidforums about how you can fake multitouch with single input devices

http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/40741-pinch-zoom-compatible.html#post317906

Also the guy as softwareforme.com confirmed that this isnt a real multitouch implementation, but a pseudo multitouch work around... Until we get the drivers (not likely going to happen since the control module is opensource but the drivers arent) we have to rely on samsung to code the module to allow multiple simaltaneous input control...  That is if the panel even has multiple input ability

P.s. not disagreeing i am pretty sure it DOES have it, but just saying it is possible it doesnt..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good info.  I just don't think Samsung could possibly be stupid enough to give us a half-assed implementation, but ya never know I guess.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Man pleaseeeeeeee hurry with the 2.1 Android update for the Samsung Moment.

The current s/w that's on here now is absolutely HORRIBLE!

It doesn't flow easily and constantly has problems.

Please hurry with the update

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat