cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.1 update: Wireless network location broken w/Sprint AIRAVE

Highlighted
Journeyman

2.1 update: Wireless network location broken w/Sprint AIRAVE

I'm using the recently released DE03 android update for the Sprint Samsung Moment. I was using Android 1.5 MR14 release previously.

I find since the update to DE03 my phone is unable to retrieve a wireless network location fix when in range of my Sprint AIRAVE femtocell (gps works fine, when a lock is available). Please note that it's not just a case of the location being inaccurate -- the phone fails to return ANY location at all. This breaks many geo-aware apps which are more and more common these days, and is of great concern because if I'm forced to dial 911 or otherwise call for help, the location information might be missing or incorrect.

Previously in 1.5 MR14, my Moment was able to determine my location to within a few feet using wireless network location (gps disabled).

I'm able to reproduce the error by:

1. Enabling "Use wireless newtorks" in the "My Location" setting.

2. Disabling "Use GPS satellites" (or simply be in a place where GPS can't get a lock)

3. Turning on or moving into range of a Sprint AIRAVE femtocell.

Similarly, I can temporarily resolve the problem by turning off the AIRAVE, but then I'm unable to receive phone calls due to poor reception.

adb logcat shows these results. I don't know if the long/lat data is accurate (I'm not sure how to read those numbers), but it's clear that the (erroneous?) accuracy result is causing the value to be tossed out.

05-13 17:02:36.411: DEBUG/LocationMasfClient(1929): getNetworkLocation(): Returning cache location with accuracy 3666.0

05-13 17:02:36.421: DEBUG/libgps(1929): sec_gps_inject_location: latitude: 3403538244, longitude: 1078127378, accuracy: 360364936

05-13 17:02:36.421: DEBUG/LocationManager(2389): drop location with accuracy larger than 3000.0meter.

In comparison, here's what it looks like under Android 1.5 MR14:

05-14 01:02:40.530: DEBUG/LocationMasfClient(1795): getNetworkLocation(): Returning cache location with accuracy 75.0

05-14 01:02:41.175: DEBUG/CdmaNwLocationProvider(1795): onLocationChanged: mWifiEnabled true, provider network accuracy 75.0

Since this was working correctly previously and does on other 2.1 based Android phones (other than the Samsung Moment) I'm hoping this can be fixed in a timely manner. It has a serious impact on the usability of the phone!

Thanks.

23 REPLIES 23
Journeyman

Re: 2.1 update: Wireless network location broken w/Sprint AIRAVE

Thanks for starting this post. I am seeing the same thing, the GPS performance is horrible after updating to DE03. So to clarify, if I turn on use GPS satellites, it takes say over 30 seconds (or longer) to get a fix outdoors, with a clear view of the sky. This seems worse than even the CJ05 firmware.

If I try to use just wireless networks, or assisted GPS (aGPS), it returns no location. This was fixed in the CL14 firmware, but is now broken again in the DE03 firmware.

I hope there is a simple procedure or OTA patch that can be deployed for this as I can't stomach waiting for ANOTHER firmware release to fix this again.

GPS and tower based location still works fine in 2.1.  It seems to be a problem only when using the Airave with a 2.1 upgraded Moment.

Journeyman

I am not using an Airave and I have this location problem. Looking through other forums, I see mixed results. I might try re-loading the firmware and see if I get different results.

Journeyman

I have a similar problem. With CL14 update GPS location got me within 10ft of my position which was much better than with the original MR14.

Now I updated to DE03 (ANDROID 2.1) and GPS did not work at all at first, Then started working after a few reboots. Now though the accuracy is way off. I tried multiple apps and the best I got was within 200ft with Google Maps, Before the update I was able to walk around my yard and it would track me pretty good. Now it shows me on the other side of my neighbors yard. This really stinks especially when you like to go geocaching.

You posted about your problem in a topic titled " 2.1 update: Wireless network location broken w/Sprint AIRAVE"....

If the problem you are having was a problem with 2.1 then everyone would be having it, not just a few.  I do know that everything with location and gps still works on my phone as it did in 1.5 as well as a couple friends that have the phone.

Journeyman

An update on this problem. I never got around to reflashing, but I took a trip to Madison, WI on Saturday and amazingly the network assisted-GPS started working. But when I returned home, nothing. With the CL14 firmware, the assisted-GPS worked great where I live (both towers) and at work (in roam), now neither of them work. So this appears to either be a network issue or a problem in the aGPS configuration in the DE03 build. If I get time after work, I will call and log an issue with tech support.

Journeyman

I have the same problem with the Airave.  And it happens on the Hero and the Moment, both running 2.1.

As soon as I leave the Airave coverage area, if I refresh my location, using towers only, it is accurate (as it can be using towers).  When in range of the Airave however, both the Hero and the Moment show me being about 20 miles south of where I actually am.

Journeyman

My GPS  location is way off with 2.1 update. Prior to 2.1 and CL14, my GPS  location was sporadic at best. I would get an accurate location fix  (to within 10ft) at times and other times, the location was completely off (like  miles off).   I couldn't rely on the accuracy of the GPS when I needed  it to.

About a month after I purchased my phone, I  complained to Sprint that my GPS would not give me an accurate fix on  my location and they told me to wait for CL14. After CL14 came out, my  GPS still would not function correctly and Sprint told me to hold out  for the long awaited 2.1 update as that will fix all my GPS  problems. Well, after updating to 2.1, my GPS location is still miles  off from where I am.  Yes, I'm outside with all bars and have a clear  view of the sky.  By default 'Use Wireless networks' and 'Use GPS  Satellites' are enabled as should be and still my location is way off.

Journeyman

I called tech support yesterday evening and the problem is being investigated. The advanced tech I talked to changed some parameters on the network side and had me reboot. The satellite GPS obtained a fix much quicker, but assisted GPS still does not work. This has been escalated and I am supposed to receive a response within 72 hours. 

Journeyman

@friedenm Please keep me updated on this if your GPS issues get resolved so I can determine if this is my next course of action. Thanks!

Journeyman

So after following the prescribed troubleshooting procedures, I ended up where I started but confirmed this is a known issue with this 2.1 build and it will be fixed in a future software release. As to when this is going to be fixed, that's another question, since Samsung won't commit to a 2.2 update. I was given the option to return it to a Sprint store for another phone, not sure if I want to yet. This is a pain due to the fact that all location based apps are broken now.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat