cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Drivers...may we have them now please?

Highlighted
Journeyman

3D Drivers...may we have them now please?

So here we have this lovely and speedy Samsung Moment with an 800MHz ARM11 chip that has a GPU built-in, but are stuck with 3D performance that is worse than a Diamond Stealth 3D from 1998.  If you haven't heard of the card, it was termed the first "3D Decelerator".

What we really need is a 3D driver for this phone.  Why wasn't one provided when the phone came out?  Especially now with the update to 2.1, where the entire OS wants to run as a 3D app.

I'm really not happy with this...just try running NeoCore and see what I mean.  Or any sort of 3D game, for that matter.  They are obviously running in software emulation mode, and you get roughly 3 frames per second.

3D drivers for the Samsung Moment...give them to us Now!

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: 3D Drivers...may we have them now please?

i agree i tried running quadrant and during the 3d graphics test i get maybe 3-4 fps  that is not what expect out of my smart phone

Journeyman

A driver for non-existent hardware won't do you a lot of good. High-end phones have 3D graphics hardware, the Moment does not. We're all stuck on software rendering which, as you discovered, can be dog slow. That's kind of the trade-off for a $99 model.

Journeyman

The Moment uses an overclocked ARM11 S3C6410 processor.  Here's Samsung's own spec sheet:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/support/brochures/downloads/systemlsi/s3c6410_d...

Mentions "3D harware accelerator" and "hard-wired 3D GFX accelerator".

Journeyman

It even specifically says support for OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0 as well as hardware accelerated video decoding and encoding.

Journeyman

yes yes yes i totally agree.  if you try google's "spritemethodtest" you will see that even for 2D rendering, using openGL methods actually give you SLOWER frame rates than the normal software rendering methods, which must mean that the phone is forcing openGL (despite the samsung's supposed "openGL" hardware compliance) to render in software.  (openGL should be faster even for 2D because you can leave image info in video memory, if i recall...)

i was going to dabble in android development, but since my samsung moment is so incapable of even simple 3D graphics (even despite some spec. sheet claiming like 7-9M triangles/sec$#!@) and running the "software phone emulator" in eclipse on my corei7 720 is even slower than my android phone, i guess i'll have to wait until i get my next upgrade in 42374238947892343 years.  it is really a shame.

maybe the GPU developed unforeseen problems when the CPU was up-clocked to 800mhz...?  or they didn't want to pay the powerVR(?) licensing fee for the GPU side since back when the phone was developed there wasn't as much going on in GPU-intensive apps?  could they have disabled the GPU for power usage reasons since the moment's battery is sort of anemic?

it's really too bad.  the phone is supposed to be better at 3D graphics than my old ipod touch, which actually has pretty decent 3D capabilities for the small screen...  the touch's alleged 7M tri/s is not like current-gen graphics, but still completely serviceable for that small format...

Journeyman

There are Windows Mobile phones based off the same processor as the Samsung Moment and those have proper OpenGL ES 2.0 drivers installed.

I emailed Samsung about this problem and received some broken English blabber about Android 2.2 supporting OpenGL ES 2.0. Keep in mind that the Moment won't be getting Android 2.2 so there's no point.

If you go through the kernel source you'll find this email "lee@samsung.com" He's the one that wrote the drivers. I suggest everyone send an email and tell him you want proper drivers for your phone.

Journeyman

Couldn't a proper OpenGL driver be written for a rooted phone, at least?

EDIT:  According to the descriptions of a couple of roms over at androidforums, the answer to my question is "Yes".

Message was edited by: Headlessponch

Journeyman

Check out SDX Developers, we are working on 3D drivers in conjunction with Samdroid.com. There are a bunch of phones and tablets (hundreds maybe) with the same CPU as the Moment and Intercept and ALL of them running Android have this problem. The Omnia II is one of the phones with this hardware and OpenGL ES 2.0 works PERFECTLY and FAST in Windows Mobile.

[Edited by SarahKS - Removed offensive language]

Message was edited by: SarahKS - Removed insult

Journeyman

I filed a complaint on the BBB and received a call from an executive at Sprint. He said he's used a Moment quite a bit and never noticed the problem with the data locking up.

I told him about the 3D drivers and he said he'll look into the issue and pass the information on to the device team and try to notify Samsung about the problem.

I hope some progress is made with these issues.

Journeyman

that's great news!!  it is absurd that the 3D performance is worse than an HTC G1... i've been a fan of sprint's service for ages, but this phone is honestly the worst cell phone experience i have ever had in terms of not living up to expectations...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat