cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveSync for Android, Moment ?

Highlighted
Journeyman

ActiveSync for Android, Moment ?

Coming from the WinOS world. Have been used to Outlook for Email, Calendar, Contacts, Journal, Notes and Tasks, and ActiveSync for synchronization. Using USB, want to sync selectively items from WinXP on to my Moment without putting info on Google account.  I do not want to copy or share info with a third party bcos I want to maintain the info on google and laptop separate, similar to gmail and moxier.  And, more importantly, continue syncing between the two platforms going forward and make Moment a complement to the WinXP laptop.  Did not find ActiveSync or similar product on Android Market.  Any recommendations?

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: ActiveSync for Android, Moment ?

I have given up on this issue after being told by 3 level support at Samsung that the phone does not have that ablity to transfer/sync  The cable is only for mass storage managment.  PC studio (new and 3) was availble as a download from Sprint but will not work (phone does is not found) once the sync is started.  There is a button for the momnet in the software but agian, it wont get reconized.  Not a glitch.  Sprint folks say the manual they provide uses the hero template and the staments regarding "outlook" were left in but shouldn't have as these referenced HTC sync program for the hero.  During my hours of calling sprint and HTC (i tried the Hero before thrading for the moment), there was some who said active sync would work.  I had a Q9c before and used active sync (that worked perfect).  I ended up emailing MS and they told me "of course not" as this is a MS program meant to communcate with MS phones. 

Journeyman

Not sure if you've ever received an answer, but the Moment in fact does do Activesync - it uses Moxier Mail on your phone.  You then sync OTA.  It boils down then more to whether or not your company allows Exchange Activesync OTA.

Journeyman

Swing and a miss... they're not looking for an OTA solution, they want a wired one.

If it was an HTC Hero, you could use HTC Sync to transfer info from your Android phone to Microsoft Outlook over the USB Cable.  But with Samsung... this is their first Android phone.  The only manufacturer supported manner in which to do this is through OTA with GMail and your Google Account, but understandably, you'd like to keep your contacts off the network.  (Assuming you're in a business and your contacts are confidential: if someone steals the info, they steal your livelihood.)

Right now, there is no free answer to this.  The content is on the device memory itself, which is user inaccessible (without unlocking/rooting your phone, which will break your warranty.)  There may be an app to allow a connection using MS ActiveSync, or with using a computer based app to "pull" the contacts off of the phone, but right now I'm not aware of one.  I wish I had a better answer than that.

Journeyman

I am on the phone with Sprint right now and no one can help me to sync my Moment with Outlook.  Have you found anything new since February?  I was very specific when I purchased this phone as the computer program I used and what my work requirements were.  What is the deal?  So frustrating!

Journeyman

In Nov, when I got this phone, I was full of hope that there will be solution in Market.  After long, frustrating research I gave up on some features and adapted to the cloud.  Only today I received an email that Mark/Space has added new features to Missing Sync (http://www.markspace.com/products/android/missing-sync-android.html) and it looks like all MS-Outlook features can be synced, exept Tasks.  I have not used it, however, you could give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Journeyman

Unfortunately I don't want to pay $40 to SEE if something is going to work.  I am going back to a Blackberry.  It is sad that we have so many "cool" ideas for playing with our phones but when it comes to actually using them constructively there are no Apps to do it.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Yup - the Android (and Palm WebOS) line are just not desktop-focused devices.  They're all about the 'cloud'...

Fortunately the Windows Mobile and  Blackberry phones have excellent desktop sync tools provided free.  Sounds like that really is your best bet.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat